Enjoyed a perfect romantic weekend away at this fantastic hotel. It may not be cheap but it is still value for money. I used to live in York and on returning after 15 years it is great to see this old office building transformed into such an elegant hotel. The sensitive way the building has been transformed is excellent - even down to retaining the original safe doors and tiled flooring in the old vaults as part of the the Spa features. Rooms are spacious and have everything you need. Staff were polite and friendly - REALY friendly, not just the false smile type of friendly you sometimes get. Lots of lovely nice little touches like complimentary his and hers toiletries left on the bed as part of the turn down service. Didn't try the food as we knew too many other nice places to eat in York. Not having on site parking is a little bit of a pain but do your research and there is a large commuter car park only 3 minutes walk away which only costs £2.50/day on a weekend and you can drop/collect luggage yourself directly at the hotel.
Location was great too - only a couple of mins walk to the centre of York will lots of bars and restaurants.
If I was to nit pick I would only have 2 things to say ( just in case hotel management are reading this ). Firstly, the bedrooms could do with what us Northerners call "A big light" - dimmed lighting is great for 99% of the time but every so often you want a bright light to apply make up etc. Secondly, whilst the bath is large and sumptious, the design meant you couldn't put the plug in or check the water temperature without actually climbing fully into the bath.
But like I said, this is nit-picking really.
There may be cheaper hotels available in York but I doubt there will be many better.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With stunning views of the Minster and the city’s ancient walls the Grand Hotel & Spa enjoys an enviable central location as York’s only five star hotel. Built in 1906 as one of the great railway buildings of York, the hotel’s graceful Edwardian architecture is complemented with fine dining and a luxurious spa complex that features an indoor pool and treatment rooms. All 107 guest rooms are individually designed and furnished to an extremely high specification, creating an indulgent yet unpretentious environment for both leisure and business travellers. And private dining facilities, an open air roof garden and elegant function rooms, provide a plethora of unique options for events and meetings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Ctrip TA, Priceline, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, Agoda, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Grand Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cedar Court Grand Hotel And Spa
- Cedar Court Grand Hotel York