“Recommended A*”

Ranked #6 of 46 Hotels in York
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Recommended A*”
Reviewed August 28, 2011

I stayed at the cedar court grand with my husband for a couple of days to celebrate my 40th birthday. We had a very relaxing time. The food was fabulous as was the service. The staff were numerous, very helpful and attentive without being intrusive. A professional and at the same time relaxing air about the service. Our room was a Deluxe King. It was spacious, comfortable, clean and well equipped.
I whole heartedly recommend the spa and treatment rooms if you want to shake off the stresses of every day. Being in the basement adds to the peace and tranquility of the atmosphere and the original features are unique.
The location of the hotel is ideal for access to the city centre and the train station.
Our stay was first class and therefore, I recommend this hotel to anyone who likes a bit of luxury and pampering in their life.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 29, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review following your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay throughout and had time to visit our Spa, located in the whisper quiet vaults of the Grade 2 listed former North Eastern Railway HQ.

It’s great to read also that you liked your Deluxe Bedroom and found our team professional and welcoming.

On behalf of myself and the entire team at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back t us in the future.

Graeme Clark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (696)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2011

My friend and I stayed here on a theatre break as a treat for her 60th birthday. The hotel was absolute luxury to us definitely 5 stars! It is in a beautiful building and a lot of the original features have been kept which adds real interest to the place.
The room was enormous and had two lovely bathrooms and was very clean and smart. We had to rush at dinner, which was included in our break amazingly, to get to the theatre but what we had was absolutely delicious and definitely worth returning to have the full experience of dining in style there.
The pool and spa area are delightful, so relaxing and beautifully designed.
The staff were the friendliest I have ever come across in a posh hotel, so informative and helpful and not in any way condescending to us ordinary people as staff can sometimes be in a 5 star establishment.
The worst thing about the Cedar Court Grand, well having to leave of course!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 27, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review of the Cedar Court Grand Hotel & Spa following your recent stay with us.

I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated the renovation work that has transformed the former North Eastern Railways HQ in to the luxury hotel it is today.

It's pleasing to read that you enjoyed your time in our Spa, located in the whisper quiet vaults of the building and also enjoyed you dinner in our Grill Room Restaurant.

Thank you especially for giving special mention to our team. Their passion and professionalism is a great asset to the hotel and I will be sure to pass on your comments to them.

On behalf of myself and the team, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

St Palais, France
Reviewed August 26, 2011

We would highly recommend the Cedar Court Grand. We had a short, but thoroughly enjoyable and relaxing stay at this superb hotel and spa. Friendly, helpful and efficient staff, the rooms are very comfortable and spotlessly clean. We loved the spa and although we did not eat evening meal at the hotel, the breakfasts and afternoon tea were tasty and well cooked. Location is ideal, situated very close to town centre and many famous attractions. We will certainly be back

1 Thank JanetBob
Dear Guest

thank you for taking the time to write your feedback following your recent stay with us.

I'm delighted that that you enjoyed your visit throughout and in particular liked your afternoon tea and breakfast.

On behalf of myself and the team, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future where I hope you will have the chance to visit our Spa & Grill Room Restaurant.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2011

My husband and I recently stayed at the Cedar Grand for our 10th Wedding Anniversary (7th and 8th August). The hotel is indeed beautiful, comfortable and ideally situated for a vist to York. We had read so many good things on trip adviser that we were sure the stay would be fab. All started off well. However, on the 2nd evening, as we prepared to have showers/baths to head out for dinner reservations - we realised there was no hot water. I tried to phone reception but no answer so went down stairs to explain the situation. A quick apology and a short wait for a work man followed. The workman arrived and explained he thought the problem was more serious than he thought and would be back. When no one returned, I went to reception to explain we had dinner reservations for our anniversary (!) and were keen to shower and change. Again a quick apology and an assurance we would be phoned with an explanation shortly. After 40 minutes and no call, I went down again to be told that a water pipe had burst and the whole hotel was without hot water. Clearly, this was not the hotel's fault BUT the lack of apology or gesture at our inconvenience - especially given we had to cancel our dinner reservation on our anniversary (!) - which I explained to the receptionist, seemed a bit poor. Even the apology was short and swift. We ended up eating in a pub close by instead, wearing what we had been walking about in all day. We have stayed in far less grand hotels where some kind of gesture would have been made...a complimentary bottle of wine even if not room service? I realise not everyone would have been inconvenienced by what happended but we certainly were. A extremely lovely hotel indeed but didn't have that extra customer care we would have expected. Would probably stay somewhere else next time. L Young

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing out to the historical wall.
3 Thank Luisa Y
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us.

I’m most disappointed that you left the hotel feeling “let down” and that you did not speak to one of our Duty Managers either at the time or on departure.

Our Front of House Manager Mr Thomas McGowan (Thomas.mcgowan@cedarcourtgrand.co.uk) has since spoken with you direct regarding your disappointing experience with us and I am led to believe that a mutually positive outcome has been reached.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team at The Grand, we wish you a belated Happy Anniversary and I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to us on a future occasion where we will have an opportunity to make up for your disappointing 1st stay.

london
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Don,t have a gripe about the hotel as such everything was wonderful when we stayed only thing that miffed me was that they say on this site Yorks first five star hotel? But when I enquired with one of the staff I was told they had'nt got there stars yet? Bit cheeky I thought minor gripe Beleive the hype as everything they say is true a spectacular hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 2, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank your for taking the time to write such a positive review following your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2011

We stayed for just the one night having beed to the races, we found every member of staff to be 5* they could not have been more helpful, polite and attentive nothing was to much trouble.
The room was faultless and of the highest standard in every aspect.
The location of the hotel is perfect close to the railway station and 2 mins walk from the minster and city centre.
We did not get chance to use the spa but I am sure that it would also be of an excellent standard.
The experience of staying at the hotel was totally relaxing, enjoyable and we will be returning in the future.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 26, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review of The Cedar Court Grand Hotel & Spa following your recent stay with us.

I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay throughout. Thank you also for giving special mention to our professional and friendly team and highlighting our great location and proximity to the city centre.

On behalf of myself and the team, we look forward to welcoming you back to us where of course I hope you have an opportunity to visit our spa, one of the many fantastic facilities the hotel has to offer.

Ossett, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Lovely building, spacious rooms, comfy bed, well decorated if not a little dull, but that's where the good points stop for me.
My partner and I stopped here for the weekend as a treat for his birthday. We finally found the entrance after driving around a building site for five minutes, and were greeted by the concierge who was very professional. Our bags were taken and our car was valet parked. Check in was quick and efficient, although the couple checking in next to us were offered two keys for their room and we weren't, still, not a problem as we didn't intend to go out seperately. Classic room was nice, plenty of space, big bed. Bathroom wasn't immaculate as I found myself removing other people's hairs from the vanity unit, and the toilet door didn't lock.
We had no minibar in our room, just tea and coffee making facilites and a couple of bottles of water which we drunk but were not replaced when our room was tidied (late afternoon). The view from the window was of a lovely office block, and there was the constant noise of what sounded like an industrial air conditioning unit. Not good when you're trying to sleep.
Went out for a walk into York and noticed that the supposedly valet parked car had been put on the road outside the hotel. We were charged £20 a day for this. Eventually it was moved to the double yellow lines outside the hotel. Being under the impression that the charges were due to the third party car park that they use, I have sent an email asking for a refund on my credit card. I have so far received no response - highly professional. I'm guessing they charged us so that they could pay the release fee when our car was clamped for being illegally parked.
Breakfast is a total rip off. We had paid for the inclusive continental at £15 per head and chose to eat in our room, so paid £35 for two bowls of porridge and a slice of toast. The hot chocolate that we ordered had never seen hot, and I'm convinced the juice was watered down. They give you enough food to supposedly justify the charge, just that no normal person can eat it all. They need a cheaper option for people who just want cereal and toast.
Next time we visit York we will be staying in a much cheaper and probably more professionally run hotel. This hotel needs to stop focusing on getting your money and concentrate on customer service. A smile goes a long way (as do staff that speak English, because some of them are totally not understandable).

7 Thank daisy0408
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us. Whilst some of the issues you have raised concern me, you have unfortunately accused the hotel of several occurrences which are simply untrue and unfair.

I’ll start by saying that had you brought any of the above to the attention of a Duty Manager at the time, again your disappointments could have been rectified and I am confident you would have left feeling a little happier.

The only shortfall on our behalf which you have mentioned above are the incidents concerning the bathroom and the COMPLIMENTARY bottled water that was not replaced. This is certainly not to our usually high standard and I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Mini Bar – Mini Bars are present in all 107 of our bedrooms and always fully stocked unless otherwise requested to be emptied by a guest. Perhaps you failed to locate the mini bar in your bedroom? Had you brought this to the attention to anyone of our team, I am sure we would have happily been able to point it out to you.

View from window – the hotel is located in a city centre and the vast majority of bedrooms do boast views of the city wall, city of York and the Minster. Naturally, some bedrooms do boast less superior views. Had you wished for a “room with a view”, I’m sure our team could have arranged this for you either prior to your arrival or after you had checked in.

Car parking – as stated in 100s of my previous responses to this topic: Station Rise is a private road and the markings are there to deter members of the public who are not staying at the hotel from parking there, therefore please accept my assurances that we are not breaking the law by leaving vehicles in this area, The spaces in front of the hotel are rented from the council also.
As you can hopefully appreciate when staying at most city central hotels you will find that they charge for parking, regardless of whether it is in the grounds of the hotel or a separate car park. We are one of two hotels in York that offer a valet parking service, but the only one that have a number of spaces available at the hotel, which enables us to offer the service of bringing cars to the front of the hotel prior to departure.

E-mail – any e-mail received from a guest is always replied to quickly and promptly. Perhaps the e-mail was not received or the address you entered was incorrect? Should you wish to proceed with this further, by all mean please feel free to contact our Front of House Manager Thomas McGowen on: Thomas.mcgowan@cedarcourtgrand.co.uk. I will advise however that my colleague is likely to repeat what I have stated above.

Breakfast – The £15.00 charge for the continental offering is a set charge giving our guests the option of having as much or as little as desired from our Grand Buffet in our Grill Room Restaurant. This charge is confirmed at the time of reservation which you would have acknowledged and accepted. The fresh juice is absolutely not watered down. Had your hot chocolate drink not been hot enough to your liking, again had you informed one of our team members, this would have been immediately replaced.

It is indeed a great shame that you do not wish to return to us, however all of our guests have different requirements which of course is the nature of any hospitality based business. York fortunately has many “cheap” guest houses and bed and breakfasts which can be found on Trip Advisor for your perusal.