“Easy going and fun”

Description: Please delete this page
London
“Easy going and fun”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Staff are superb here. Nothing is too much trouble and the service feels authentic - not that 'is everything alright with your meals' nonsense. Kitchen is flexible and will do whatever they can for you too. We didn't fancy any of the deserts so asked for fruit salad. What came out was frankly art work with a knife - beautifully presented fruit, delicious and wasn't even n the menu. Good people!

• Visited March 2013

Garstang, United Kingdom
“Indifferent service lets this place down.”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

This dining room is actually known as The New York Grill and is situated in the basement of The Grange Hotel. Lights and signage leads you down stone steps to a paved area where the entrance door lies. Except that it doesn't !! You have to retrace your steps and enter via the main entrance hall and find a set of unsigned steps which take you down to the basement.

First impressions are OK. The place is New York themed with a continuous old black and white film on show on at least a couple of screens (why?) with the sound off. The menu gives you a small but adequate choice if you are not going to be eating there more than a couple of times in any week. I was also told that the signed entrance door had not worked for some time - why not fix it or switch the signage off ?

I ordered rump of lamb with crushed peas - any other veg. including potatoes were extra to the price shown for the dish. The house red wine suited my pallet nicely and it is well as it did because service proved to be lengthy. A couple on an adjacent table waited an eternity only to be told that the chef had over-done their steaks and they would have to wait until he had re-done them. I never did find out when they were served as I had eaten my meal and left.

The lamb was delightful. Done exactly as requested and I was sorry when the plate was empty.

The guest house where I was staying was nearby and they confirmed that they had continual complaints about service but that reports on the food remained positive. I liked the lamb so much that I returned two evenings later. I ordered a smoked chicked starter and the lamb again for main course. This time my starter arrived promptly except that it was not what I ordered, but potted salmon. The waitress assured me that it was chicken and so I tried it and lo-and-behold, it was salmon. I decided to cut my time losses and ate it even though I was disappointed. When the waitress came to clear my dish I told her that it was salmon but she told me that it was smoked chicken!! The lamb lived up to my expectations and was delicious.

When I received my bill I found that it listed my starter as potted salmon. It also showed that I had had two glasses of red wine when I had only one. When I complained both offending items were deleted without question but the added 10% service charge remained !! This was also deleted on request.

Overall, 'could do better' would be the school report particularly as it is not cheap. The place got busy during my two visits and they obviously need more front-of-house and kitchen staff to 'up' their game. A pity because I can still visualise that beautiful lamb!

• Visited October 2012
cambridge
“lovely atmosphere poor selection of local beer”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

we booked a table so we could watch the olympic opening ceremony , food was good as expected from this hotel, however they only had one mass produced bitter which is a shame given the selection from other pubs and hotels in the area the F&B manager should be ashamed. Wine is well priced. service was excellent and our experience for the evening was a positive one well worth a visit again

Visited July 2012
UK
“Hidden Gem, don't be put off by the Sports Bar feel.....”
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Only a short walk from our hotel we were drawn to the lighting in the restaurant upstairs. Having decided on a lighter meal option we ventured downstairs. A warm welcome awaited us and we sampled some delicious cocktails before we sat through in the dining room.

Whilst service was slow - and although it was a Friday evening, it was not busy, the food made up for it. We shared a bread and olive starter - highly recommended followed by duck leg confit. We were given a complimentary sorbet which was worth going for alone!. Would go again if in the area without a doubt.

• Visited May 2012
Totnes, United Kingdom
“Very Disappointing”
Reviewed March 6, 2012

We ate here while staying at the hotel and our meal was included as part of the DBB price. The cellar bar was cold and had a very functional ambience; it couldn’t really decide if it was a sports bar or cosy restaurant and the space was not welcoming. However, it was the food that was truly awful and if the meal had not been included in our stay, we would have left after the first course. I had the vegetarian options, which were bland and aesthetically unappealing and had clearly, from its wrinkled appearance, been reheated rather than freshly prepared; my husband had a steak that was very average (for all the menu hype). We shared the desert (a selection of the deserts on offer), that was supposed to be for two; the portions were so small that there was barely a mouthful of each desert and the tart tatin was ‘welded’ to the plate! I did make a very polite complaint about the steamed vegetables, which were mouldy and the waitress apologised profusely but wasn’t sure what to do. However, the manageress was clearly embarrassed and avoided raising the subject, cheerfully asking if we had had a nice meal as we left! This is the first time I have complained about a restuarant but this place is trading off a AA 2 rosette, that it really does not deserve to keep.

• Visited February 2012