“York Quilt Museum is fantastic!”
Review of Quilt Museum and Gallery - CLOSED

Quilt Museum and Gallery
Reviewed April 25, 2013

My mother and I are members of the quilt museum and try to go about three or four times a year to see their different exhibitions. My mother uses a wheelchair but is able to access all areas. The two rooms described by the disgruntled reviewer include a medieval great hall capable of accommodating several large quilts. The side room is large enough to feature small displays on a different theme. It would be unrealistic to expect a museum with relatively small funds to have the space to display their entire collection. The museum shop has a good selection of all things quilting. Best of all the museum staff are really knowledgeable and help to organise activities as well as displays.

Rosie C, Manager at Quilt Museum and Gallery, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind review. We are delighted that you like the Museum and visit regularly. A number of people benefit ferom being annual Friends of the Museum, which allows you to visit several times in one year. We do hope to see you at the next exhibition and thank you again for your support.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

A museum of quilts will normally appeal to people who do handicrafts. But even those of us who are not sure which is the business end of the needle can appreciate the skill and work invested in these quilts. Changing exhibits mean you may not see the upper- and lower-class display (quilts done for show by ladies of leisure as opposed to those done for warmth by homeowners), but it is excellent.

Thank you so much for your review. we are very pleased that you enjoyed your visit. You are quite right that the quilts on show are not just for experts - hopefully they are of interest to anyone who likes social history as well. We do hope you will return on your next visit.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

What a delightful little place. Staffed by friendly, knowledgeable volunteers, this little gem of a museum displays quilts under different themes, which change every quarter, so check the website for details as they close for a week when the display is changed. Fascinating to see the different styles of quilts, from every day objects, through to the textile artists of modern day.

Housed in an extraordinary building with a fascinating history. Look at the roof! Lift available for access as the displays are upstairs.

Tea rooms in the gardens and a small gallery included in the admission.

1  Thank Auds632
Rosie C, Manager at Quilt Museum and Gallery, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind feedback. We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit and will pass your kind remarks on to our volunteers. hope to see you at the next show which starts in May!

Reviewed April 7, 2013

A keen quilter recommended this unusual museum to me. Although not far from the city centre (and within the walls) it is slightly difficult to find, - no signposting and little publicity. However, it was worth the effort as the quilts displayed as truly magnificent. It is a bit disappointing that the display isn't more imaginative, although the touching display was a bonus. Perhaps videos of quilting being done or even the attendants doing some would be really helpful or a board explaining how quilting is done, - there seems to be an assumption that if you're there you must be a keen quilter; I'm not but I would like to know more. Expensive - £6 (small concessions available for students, etc.) for less than an hour's visit.

2  Thank HeatherJS01

Thank you for your feedback on your visit. I'm sorry that when you visited there was no demonstrating - this was unusual as usually our volunteers are demonstrating different aspects of quilting and textile crafts every day. We will also be trialling a new form of display with our next exhibition from May so I hope you can be persuaded to give us another try.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Here is the dictionary definition of the word museum:
'A building in which objects of historical, scientific, artistic, or cultural interest are stored and exhibited.'

I should have looked that up before I went, I admit that I did not notice the smaller words 'and gallery' in the title either, silly.

The area for the exhibits is very small being confined to one moderate sized room with one small side room.

I would be interested to know who took the photograph displayed on this web page, in my opinion it is misleading as far as the size of the main room is concerned.

When I visited there was an exhibition of quilts designed to celebrate the Olympics, of no interest to me.

As the lady to whom I complained pointed out, in the side room there were two historic quilts, they were both around cradle size, there's history for you!

I travelled a long way to see this, I should have done my homework, so should you if you are going.

£6 per head entrance fee plus parking and travel of course. Well, it is up to you.

1  Thank I J
Rosie C, Manager at Quilt Museum and Gallery, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your visit last summer.Because of the fragile nature of our collections we do not have a permanent display of quilts and instead circulate them in changing exhibitions. The exhbitions that are on at the moment are very different in that the main gallery is all historic quilts from our collection with related costume, photographs and stories from the makers. There are also two contemporary quilt exhibitions in the side galleries. The photo is of the Great Hall of the medieval guildhall of St Anthony's. I've uploaded a photo of how it looks at the moment. This year the vast majority of our exhibitions feature historic quilts in the main showing space.We hope you will give us another try and thank you for your review.