Black Swan Inn
Hilton York(York)
$119
$113
  • Room Service
York Marriott Hotel(York)(Great Value!)
$77
  • Pool
$254
$124
  • Pool
$106
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Express York(York)(Great Value!)
$56
$168
$162
$111
$110
$95
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
All reviewsthe pubfour poster bedpierabbit stewmixed grillvery generous portionsolde worldmulled wineselection of beersmain barreal alelots of characterfull englishcar parkyork centrefree parkingghost
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 9, 2010

just got back from our second stay at the Black swan and as expected it was exceptional. The hospitality and friendliness of the staff is second to none, they are always willing to help and advise you. The building is very old and full of character, on a cold winters day or night sitting by the roaring log fire with a bevvy is just the ticket.
Word of warning, if you want to stop for a snack be prepared as the belly buster meals are huge, they are all very well cooked and piled high. The same goes for the mega english breakfast, excellently prepared and definetly enough to keep a person going the whole day, I can safely say we will definetly be returning to The black swan inn.

Reviewed August 8, 2010

The Black Swan is an historic Inn. The history is wonderful and well worth the stay. Our room was comfortable and spacious for an historic Inn. The bathroom was newly refurbished with state of the art shower and was very clean and roomy. When booking at an historic Inn, be aware that you are not going to get a spotless chain hotel room. If you are looking for history and the knowledge that many have spent the night before you, this is the place. The location is very ideal as it is an easy walk to the center of old York and also provides easy access to the wall walk. The staff were welcoming and pleasant to deal with. The breakfast was huge and delicious. We would recommend this Inn and stay here again in future. Now....that said.....this Inn is as advertised on some websites! There are "other worldly" guests that enjoy playing pranks on the visitors. We had a few who liked to open the bathroom door at every opportunity (mind you the floor slanted upwards from the frame). We also tried to cause the opening by opening windows and closing windows and no matter what we did, the door would open on it's own, usually when someone was using the bathroom. See our attached photos, which clearly show "orbs" around both sides of the bathroom door. (another guest staying also stated she kept hearing someone whisper in her ear all night as she was trying to sleep.) We did not in any way feel a threat. Enjoyed our free entertainment for the night.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank LCMey
Reviewed August 1, 2010

My fiance and I have just arrived back from a stay at the Black Swan in York and we would highly recommend a stay here. The building is full of character and the starcase is amazing although somehwat uneven although this only adds to the buildings charm.
We stayed in the Cottage room with a view out to the front of the building which was very nice indeed complete with four poster bed. The rooms had been quite recently decorated with the bathroom being contemporary but not clashing with the old worldly feeling of the building. Unfortunately however the shower was not brilliant but we put that down to the water pressure being quite low. We live in a house circa 125 years old and had problems with water pressure upstairs and this building beats our house by a good 400 years so it's not surprising really.
The breakfast was very nice indeed and somewhat immense so don't expect to eat again for most of the day!
The staff are definitely an asset to the business as they were very friendly indeed and told us about the ghostly experiences which they'd had. We were asked if we had experienced anything as a couple who stayed in another room had witnessed taps being turned on and off by themselves and we said that we had not. However when we left I realised that I had piled my underwear on top of my own clothes before I went to bed at night and they had moved in the night as my fiance complained that I had put my underwear on top of her clothes. This however was not possible as she had undressed after me so her clothes were not present for me to place my underwear on top of. Spooky.

Reviewed July 26, 2010

we wanted the haunted experience and boy did we get it. The pub is full of history and its amazing to see and the staff are so friendly and they would do anything to make our stay enjoyable which was great they answered everything we wanted to know about the inn.
The food was the best, everthing we had was cooked to perfection and there was so much of it well worth the money even if i was not staying there and just went to york for the day i would go there for the food no matter how far i had to walk. We stayed in the cottage room which was just alive with activity we heard a dog bark in the room and the chair in the room vibrated while my cousin was sitting in it she also had her hair pulled and i woke up to something sitting on my chest we have lots of photos with orbs and mist in them. i would recommend this pub to anyone whether you need somewhere to stay or whether you just need a drink and good food the black swan inn is the best.

• Stayed: June 2010
Reviewed July 4, 2010

I went with a hen party weekend recently. We all had a brilliant time and could not fault the hotel in any respect. The staff were brilliant - really friendly, helpful and welcoming. There was an easy going atmosphere in the pub which made the weekend even more enjoyable. The breakfasts were also amazing - absolutely massive and served up to 12 O clock. Overall I would strongly recommend staying at the Black Swan to anyone. It was fab.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends