“'Olde Worlde', Stunning & Clean - Highly recommended”
Review of Black Swan Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in York
Black Swan Inn
Ranked #66 of 194 York B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I stayed at the Black Swan at the beginning of October to celebrate my 30th birthday and was not disappointed at all. This is a stunning 'olde worlde' inn, no more than a 10 minute steady stroll from the Shambles.

We arrived at midday, which was a couple of hours before our official check in. We'd been told previously that we'd be fine to arrive early and leave our bags if we wanted to, but upon arrival we were told that one of the rooms were ready for us (we had two rooms for two nights) and that we could leave all of the bags in there until the second room was ready. We were shown up the wonderful old staircase and even had help with our bags. We were shown to 'The Cottage' room which is the room shown on their web site. Truly stunning. As you walk into the room, there are two single beds, toe to toe and to the left, the main room, with the beautiful four-poster bed, cute little lead window, dressing table, closet with iron and ironing board (also there was a hair dryer in the room too). The tea/coffee supplies were very generous, including cookies!

The shower-room was large, spacious and just as clean as the rest of the room, with generous supplies of Nivea shampoos, conditioners, body wash & lotions.

Within 15 minutes, there was a knock on the door to say that the secondary room was now ready, the 'Turpin' room. I went down to view the room with my two cousins who would be staying in there. It was smaller than 'The Cottage', but just as lovely & clean!

That night, we ate in the restaurant. This is a lovely little room. We sat by the window, next to the fireplace. The staff were just as attentive as they had been earlier on in the day and even though we couldn't open a tab in the bar for our drinks, the barman brought us our drinks and just charged us at the table, to save us having to keep popping to the bar. The food was beautiful and home cooked. Very generous portions too.

That night (the night before my 30th birthday) I laid in bed and I'm photography mad. I love unique angles, patterns etc and as I laid under the four-poster canopy, I decided to take a photograph. I was in complete darkness and only had the light from the flash on my camera lighting the room. As the light lit the room up, through the screen on my camera I saw something 'fly' across the screen. It was an orb. I couldn't see anything with the naked eye or even sense/feel anything in the room, but it lead me to start filming to see exactly what I might capture inside this building dating back to 1417. If you follow the link, you'll see what I captured, the best 'orb' being 37 seconds into the clip:

The next morning at breakfast, there was cereal and orange juice on the table and then a member of the kitchen staff came out to ask if we'd like a full English breakfast and toast. Tea & coffee was also provided. Again, extremely generous portions, so be warned!!!

On the day that we left, which was a Sunday (check out is at 12pm), we'd planned to have Sunday lunch there before catching our train. However, we were still so full from breakfast that we decided to go for a nice leisurely walk instead. The staff were more than happy to keep our bags for us for a couple of hours and these were left underneath the stairs, in a locked cupboard (again, very clean). On our return, we had a drink in the bar area, that up until then, we hadn't actually been in and it was lovely. A large fireplace and overall 'olde worlde' feel.

This was exactly what I had wanted out of my stay in York. I searched online, high and low, for somewhere like this and it seems that most of the truly old buildings don't offer accommodation. I was toying between staying at the Black Swan or the Golden Fleece (where I had eaten previously) & I 100% made the right choice without a shadow of a doubt!

I would stay at the Black Swan again in a heart beat and have already recommended it to so many people.

Room Tip: 'The Cottage' is at the front of the building and is (in my opinion, from the other rooms I...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Voluptuous_Vamp

Reviewed October 18, 2012

This is the 2nd stay with friends and it didn't dissapoint. We stayed with friends and had the 3 bedrooms. All the bedrooms are very authentic and the stairs leading to them are very creaky. The pub is steeped in history with lots of interesting facts and articles on display that were found during building work.The breakfasts are amazing and keep you going all day, we went back later late afternoon for lunch before we set off home and I had the Yorkshire Pie- truely yummy !!.
We gave the new Manager plenty of laughs, Staff very friendly and helpful, one in particular who came and informed us just before it was last orders to go get our drinks, as it ad been Race Day in York and everywhere was very busy, so we beat the rush. We have all booked again for March in our usual rooms and cant wait !!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We have only just returned from our two night stay at The Black Swan Inn and we were not dissapointed . The pub and the room's are steeped in History and totally authentic . The breakfasts are huge and taste wonderful . The staff are very friendly and the lady who greeted us on our first day and who also cooked our breakfast's couldn't do enough for us . The beer is great and the bar is very welcoming . Our room was clean and the four poster bed very comfy . The pub is a short walk to all the attraction's that York has and if your not keen on walking the York Sightseeing tour buses stop virtually outside the front door . If your looking for somewhere to stay that's olde world with a feeling all of it's own then i would reccomend The Black Swan .

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ballysam
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We asked for a table and the waitress sighed and it took us five minutes to be seated. One hour later still no food.. We went to enquire and was told to pay for our drinks and leave......DO NOT GO TO THE BLACK SWAN INN. ITS APPALLING !!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Austin C
Reviewed September 16, 2012

If you are looking for aauthentic Inn that oozes history then look no further than The Black Swan in York. Came here for Sunday lunch after reading the good reviews and was not disappointed. From the dark timber frames, oak panelling, creaking floors and irregular horizontals this place is the genuine article. It dates from 1417 and has been inhabited by several famous persons. There are several rooms, the drinking room complete with fireplace and at least two ground floor rooms which are also used for dining. My son had the Sunday meal of Roast Beef, Yorkshire Pudding, Roast potatoes, peas, carrots etc. I had a Yorkshire Pie with a mash of carrot and parsnip. Great comfort food and very good. We both opted for the Spotted Dick with custard. This is like a light version of a full-blown Christmas Pudding. Food was as hoped for-plentiful and tasty.The place even boasts of several ghost sightings that adds mystery and lore. I think this place is great-it gets close to what I have always hoped for in an historical British Pub steeped in tradition. The only small negative was the staff who were a little surly but this is a minor criticism given all the positives.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 15, 2012

What a little gem in York.
We were driving through but ended up staying a this hotel and what a find.
Our room was cute, with a beautiful 4 poster bed, there were tea & coffee making facilities in the room, extremely close to everything and the staff were so obliging.
We were leaving early the next day so they gave us a early breakfast tray which was delivered to our room that night.
As we had been travelling Europe for about 2 months when we arrived here it was so nice to have the simple things in your room, like known and trusted toiletries, tea & coffee and little biscuits.
We loved the stories that the owner told us about the hotel being haunted, although i did say to him i would have appreciated knowing this before i payed for the room... Lucky for us there were no ghostly visits that night.
Would go back to this hotel in a Heartbeat.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 1Europe2012
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Very friendly staff, we were allowed to use a room to change in as we arrived before the check in time. Great historic venue, nice room and bar. The breakfast was huge and great value! Would definitely recommend staying here, close to the city centre and all attractions.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends