“CONTINUE ROUND THE BEND AND THERE IS AN AMAZING CARVERY”
Review of Black Swan Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in York
Black Swan Inn
Ranked #70 of 195 York B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We asked for a table and the waitress sighed and it took us five minutes to be seated. One hour later still no food.. We went to enquire and was told to pay for our drinks and leave......DO NOT GO TO THE BLACK SWAN INN. ITS APPALLING !!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Austin C

Reviewed September 16, 2012

If you are looking for aauthentic Inn that oozes history then look no further than The Black Swan in York. Came here for Sunday lunch after reading the good reviews and was not disappointed. From the dark timber frames, oak panelling, creaking floors and irregular horizontals this place is the genuine article. It dates from 1417 and has been inhabited by several famous persons. There are several rooms, the drinking room complete with fireplace and at least two ground floor rooms which are also used for dining. My son had the Sunday meal of Roast Beef, Yorkshire Pudding, Roast potatoes, peas, carrots etc. I had a Yorkshire Pie with a mash of carrot and parsnip. Great comfort food and very good. We both opted for the Spotted Dick with custard. This is like a light version of a full-blown Christmas Pudding. Food was as hoped for-plentiful and tasty.The place even boasts of several ghost sightings that adds mystery and lore. I think this place is great-it gets close to what I have always hoped for in an historical British Pub steeped in tradition. The only small negative was the staff who were a little surly but this is a minor criticism given all the positives.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 15, 2012

What a little gem in York.
We were driving through but ended up staying a this hotel and what a find.
Our room was cute, with a beautiful 4 poster bed, there were tea & coffee making facilities in the room, extremely close to everything and the staff were so obliging.
We were leaving early the next day so they gave us a early breakfast tray which was delivered to our room that night.
As we had been travelling Europe for about 2 months when we arrived here it was so nice to have the simple things in your room, like known and trusted toiletries, tea & coffee and little biscuits.
We loved the stories that the owner told us about the hotel being haunted, although i did say to him i would have appreciated knowing this before i payed for the room... Lucky for us there were no ghostly visits that night.
Would go back to this hotel in a Heartbeat.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 1Europe2012
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Very friendly staff, we were allowed to use a room to change in as we arrived before the check in time. Great historic venue, nice room and bar. The breakfast was huge and great value! Would definitely recommend staying here, close to the city centre and all attractions.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank SO1066
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We re entry went to this establishment to celebrate a birthday. When my husband went to order our pre lunch drinks he asked if they would open a tab as he wanted to pay for the medal and drinks in one hit. He was told by one of the bar staff this couldn't be done. They wanted him to hand over his credit card until the end of the meal! Surely this can't be right. The matter was resolved - but obviously my husband didn't hand them his credit card. The meal was good but nothing out of the ordinary. Also the pub itself is dark and dingy. We couldn' understand why dogs weren't allowed in the beer garden

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Pauline M
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Me and my partner spent a weekend in York and went to a couple haunted pubs in york itself,this was one of our must pubs to go to. we walked in a found it nice and cosy,it must of been about half ten my partner ordered me a half and himself a pint.
he sat down and i asked the bar maid if it was ok if i could have a looked around and upstairs. she was totally fine with it and lead me to the stairs that was closed off,then soon as i came down stairs we got told to hurry our drinks,well i said how come your nagging us to drink up but there was still half a pub full of people, he wouldn't answer my question.anyway my partner finished his drink and went to to the loo as i sat and finished off my drink,soon as my partner come back into the room the owner started to push him and telling him to leave as they was closed. he was coming back into the room to meet me to see if i was ready soon as i stood up and started to walk the manager started to push me and yelling at me. then when we got out side he and his bar staff attacked us,i got pulled to the floor by hair by a women that was working in the pub and soon as my partner saw this he tried to help me then 2 barmen and the manager attacked him and strangled him leaving his neck still all bruised,soon as they let go my partner rang the police that we had just been assaulted for no reason by bar staff and owner who had all been drinking at the time to. we spent about an hour of our last night in York talking to police about what happened,then we found out the reason this happened was because it was residence lock in only. very nasty people they are i would stay well clear from them all they had to do was let me and my partner finish off and go instead of trying to give us grief. we are not drunks and wasn't drunk at the time and also never been in trouble with the police before!

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
28  Thank shelley m
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Only spent one night here with the wife but left feeling very impressed, particularly having just nearly stayed in a room at The Golden Fleece (see review).
Friendly welcome, we had a quick drink, some good ales on show, and were shown to our room. The room itself was brilliant, lovely comfy four poster bed, digital telly, another 2 beds in a smaller side room, the bathroom was quite posh and it was all very clean.
We ate out so no idea what evening meals are like, but the breakfast was fantastic!
Sadly I have 2 very minor complaints - in the bathroom there was no mirror above the sink, there is one next to the electric shaver socket but it makes 'wet shaving' a bit of a chore! Secondly no Rice Krispies at breakfast, but thankfully the cooked breakfast filled me up for the day.
Highly recommended, but take an electric shaver.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near York
The Parisi Hotel
#39 of 47 in York
Lamb & Lion Inn
Lamb & Lion Inn
#34 of 195 in York

Been to Black Swan Inn? Share your experiences!