All reviewsthe pubfour poster bedyorkshire pierabbit stewmixed grillgood selection of alesolde worldfantastic pubdick turpinthe portion sizepiesreal alelots of characterbeer gardenfull english breakfastlight sleeperlarge bathroom
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Very friendly staff, we were allowed to use a room to change in as we arrived before the check in time. Great historic venue, nice room and bar. The breakfast was huge and great value! Would definitely recommend staying here, close to the city centre and all attractions.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank SO1066
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We re entry went to this establishment to celebrate a birthday. When my husband went to order our pre lunch drinks he asked if they would open a tab as he wanted to pay for the medal and drinks in one hit. He was told by one of the bar staff this couldn't be done. They wanted him to hand over his credit card until the end of the meal! Surely this can't be right. The matter was resolved - but obviously my husband didn't hand them his credit card. The meal was good but nothing out of the ordinary. Also the pub itself is dark and dingy. We couldn' understand why dogs weren't allowed in the beer garden

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Pauline M
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Me and my partner spent a weekend in York and went to a couple haunted pubs in york itself,this was one of our must pubs to go to. we walked in a found it nice and cosy,it must of been about half ten my partner ordered me a half and himself a pint.
he sat down and i asked the bar maid if it was ok if i could have a looked around and upstairs. she was totally fine with it and lead me to the stairs that was closed off,then soon as i came down stairs we got told to hurry our drinks,well i said how come your nagging us to drink up but there was still half a pub full of people, he wouldn't answer my question.anyway my partner finished his drink and went to to the loo as i sat and finished off my drink,soon as my partner come back into the room the owner started to push him and telling him to leave as they was closed. he was coming back into the room to meet me to see if i was ready soon as i stood up and started to walk the manager started to push me and yelling at me. then when we got out side he and his bar staff attacked us,i got pulled to the floor by hair by a women that was working in the pub and soon as my partner saw this he tried to help me then 2 barmen and the manager attacked him and strangled him leaving his neck still all bruised,soon as they let go my partner rang the police that we had just been assaulted for no reason by bar staff and owner who had all been drinking at the time to. we spent about an hour of our last night in York talking to police about what happened,then we found out the reason this happened was because it was residence lock in only. very nasty people they are i would stay well clear from them all they had to do was let me and my partner finish off and go instead of trying to give us grief. we are not drunks and wasn't drunk at the time and also never been in trouble with the police before!

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
30  Thank shelley m
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Only spent one night here with the wife but left feeling very impressed, particularly having just nearly stayed in a room at The Golden Fleece (see review).
Friendly welcome, we had a quick drink, some good ales on show, and were shown to our room. The room itself was brilliant, lovely comfy four poster bed, digital telly, another 2 beds in a smaller side room, the bathroom was quite posh and it was all very clean.
We ate out so no idea what evening meals are like, but the breakfast was fantastic!
Sadly I have 2 very minor complaints - in the bathroom there was no mirror above the sink, there is one next to the electric shaver socket but it makes 'wet shaving' a bit of a chore! Secondly no Rice Krispies at breakfast, but thankfully the cooked breakfast filled me up for the day.
Highly recommended, but take an electric shaver.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We stayed here for a long weekend in May. The Inn is very old as described and as a pub is very nice with a lovely fire in the bar. - all very dark and cosy as you might expect. We only ate at the Inn for breakfast and that was huge with pleanty of tea & coffee - Full English. However upstairs is a slightly different matter. It's more faded grubbiness than aged charm and why on earth staying, paying guests, should be subject to the staff''s back stairs, right outside the bedroom door, full of laundry and dirty aprons I have no idea. The bedrooms and en-suite bathrooms are pleasant enough but why can't the cleaners at least remove the dead flies from the four poster canopys ? (we kept the overhead light off so we couldn't see them - and they have been mentioned on here before) TV in the Turpin room didn't work, but as we were only there for a weekend we couldn't be bothered with mentioning it - All in all quite convenient for city centre and walls but a rather average experience. Not really a very special place to stay and not really a cheap & cheerful either.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple