All reviewsthe pubfour poster bedyorkshire pierabbit stewmixed grillgood selection of alesolde worldfantastic pubdick turpinthe portion sizepiesreal alelots of characterbeer gardenfull english breakfastlight sleeperlarge bathroom
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Only spent one night here with the wife but left feeling very impressed, particularly having just nearly stayed in a room at The Golden Fleece (see review).
Friendly welcome, we had a quick drink, some good ales on show, and were shown to our room. The room itself was brilliant, lovely comfy four poster bed, digital telly, another 2 beds in a smaller side room, the bathroom was quite posh and it was all very clean.
We ate out so no idea what evening meals are like, but the breakfast was fantastic!
Sadly I have 2 very minor complaints - in the bathroom there was no mirror above the sink, there is one next to the electric shaver socket but it makes 'wet shaving' a bit of a chore! Secondly no Rice Krispies at breakfast, but thankfully the cooked breakfast filled me up for the day.
Highly recommended, but take an electric shaver.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We stayed here for a long weekend in May. The Inn is very old as described and as a pub is very nice with a lovely fire in the bar. - all very dark and cosy as you might expect. We only ate at the Inn for breakfast and that was huge with pleanty of tea & coffee - Full English. However upstairs is a slightly different matter. It's more faded grubbiness than aged charm and why on earth staying, paying guests, should be subject to the staff''s back stairs, right outside the bedroom door, full of laundry and dirty aprons I have no idea. The bedrooms and en-suite bathrooms are pleasant enough but why can't the cleaners at least remove the dead flies from the four poster canopys ? (we kept the overhead light off so we couldn't see them - and they have been mentioned on here before) TV in the Turpin room didn't work, but as we were only there for a weekend we couldn't be bothered with mentioning it - All in all quite convenient for city centre and walls but a rather average experience. Not really a very special place to stay and not really a cheap & cheerful either.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank beachbaby50
Reviewed April 17, 2012

The Black Swan was absolutely ideal! I had a basic knowledge of York from a trip several years prior to my stay, and was able to locate the inn quickly on foot from the train station! It is a beautiful building from the outside and just a short stroll from the mediaeval city walls as well as a Sainsbury's and other modern shops.

The inn itself it beautiful, and the pictures online don't do it justice. The restaurant and drinking areas are all well presented and offer slightly different atmospheres. We stayed in the Turpin Room, which is at the top of the beautiful old staircase. There is also a function room (?) or additional dining room upstairs. I failed to ask what it was for, but there were people enjoying it when we came in. The Turpin Room may be a bit close to the action for some people (especially light sleepers) but the pub closes at midnight, so no real worries there.

As to the room itself, there was not loads of extra space, but if you're staying for a few nights then you will welcome the chance to hang up some clothes and maybe get out of your suitcase for a bit. The tv had a built in DVD player, but the digital channels seemed to not be quite right. Still, it wasn't a bother and I am sure if we had asked it would have been seen to immediately. The room had a large and modern bathroom. There were plenty of towels, tea, creamer, etc. I clean and comfortable, to say the least. I felt quite at home!

The cooked breakfast in the morning was by the far best I have ever had.

I can't recommend the Black Swan highly enough. I would love to branch out and try other inns in York, but I can't see myself risking it. I think this will become my go-to hotel when I need to be in York!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2012

We went as a group on a ghosthunting night 8/3/2012. The Landlord was very welcoming and the place itself was amazing. We hired all 3 rooms, they were all clean, comfortable rooms and it was nicely decorated. There was plenty of coffee/tea/sugar for each room, instead of the usual couple of each. We took some very spooky pics, did a through the nite ghosthunt and it didn`t fail to give us a few shrieks and screams! Breakfast was HUGE! Very tasty and you could have anything you wanted. We had a superb stay, will be returning soon for definate!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends