All reviewsthe pubfour poster bedyorkshire pierabbit stewmixed grillgood selection of alesolde worldfantastic pubdick turpinthe portion sizepiesreal alelots of characterbeer gardenfull english breakfastlight sleeperlarge bathroom
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Nice little country pub with nice apartments staff are friendly and the foods great....not the best place to drive to in ice

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed February 6, 2012

My wife, daughter and I spent two nights at the Black Swan in Oct 2011. While researching rooms online we found the Black Swan to be a little more expensive, but we were enticed by the Inn’s history, atmosphere and ghostly reputation.

We arrived by car and found the parking situation to be poor. There is no reserved parking for guests and the lot was full for the majority of our visit. The only other parking option is a very expensive lot on the opposite side of the Inn.

The pub itself was very interesting and was exactly the way I pictured a 600 year old tavern to look. We approached the bartender and she walked us up to our room. The famously crooked stairs and dim lighting really added to the overall ambiance. Our room was on the second floor down a short hallway. The hallway light was blown and it was pitch black even during the day. We were told twice during our stay that it would be fixed, but it was still out when we left.

We stayed in the Stag Room and it consisted of a main bedroom, hallway and bathroom. The main bedroom was fantastic and the canopy bed was very comfortable. It had a very spooky yet elegant feel to it. The hallway was wide enough to accommodate a small bed where my daughter slept during our stay. The hallway was very stark compared to the rest of the room. I did feel a little guilty sleeping in the much nicer bedroom but my daughter said her bed was comfortable. I found the bathroom to be modern and very large. The room was clean and the linens were comfortable. Others have mentioned noise as an issue, but we didn't have a problem during our stay.

The Inn itself is located just a few blocks from the scenic parts of York, but is surrounded by modern buildings. It’s difficult to tell online, but I thought it would be a little more scenic around the Inn’s immediate location.

We didn’t get to eat breakfast while we stayed at this B & B. We wanted to start our site seeing early as we had a limited amount of time in York and breakfast isn’t served until 9am. We let the manager know we would be checking out early morning (7am) our last day and he offered to have someone come in early to cook breakfast. We waited until 7:30am, but the cook was still not in the building when we left.

Overall we loved York and I did enjoy staying at the Black Swan. The service and parking were a little subpar, but the building, location and room were great. One thing that made our stay even more memorable was a Ghost Walk that concludes at the Black Swan. The guide tells a couple ghost stories about the Inn, including one that supposedly happened in the room we were staying.

We didn't see any ghosts at the Black Swan, but we did enjoy our stay.

Cons: Pros:
Pricey Atmosphere
Parking History
Mediocre Service Clean and Comfortable
Location

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Richard B
Reviewed February 5, 2012

My daughter and I stayed at the Swan in January and were the only over-night guests. From a decor perspective the place is everything one would hope a 600 yr old inn would be and it comes complete with ghosts, both human and animal (though I regret we did not see any). The bedroom was clean and comfortable with both a four-poster double and a single beds. The staff were very friendly and eager to assist and sent us on our way with a marvelous full English breakfast.

My only caveat about the Swan is that it has a quite popular pub and thus a lot of noise came up through the floor, at least in the room we were in, until closing at 11. That been said, though, I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for one that is not directly above the pub rooms, if possible.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Busby09
Reviewed January 30, 2012

We had a fantastic night in the Black Swan. The place has great character, great people and great food. Good parking and easy to walk into the center of York. Great stay thank you.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Just got back from staying at the black swan hotel,the hotel was ok for the night very cold so take extra clothing if going in January,very central to York centre, food lovely and got plenty the hotel is a very old place and its said to be haunted but apart from a few orbs we didn't see a or hear anything all in ill an exciting weekend

• Stayed: January 2012