“Our favourite cafe/coffee house”
Review of Kafeneion - CLOSED

Kafeneion
Cuisines: European, Deli, Contemporary, Cafe
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: This business is closed
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We discovered this little gem about a year and a half ago when we got bored with paying way too much for what you get at Cafe Nero round the corner down Goodramgate opposite Cross Keys. And what a find!
Kafeneion is technically a Greek-style cafe, but if you want something self-indulgent don't let that put you off! As soon as you enter you're treated to a massive display of cakes, brownies and the like. The coffee is to die for - the only coffee chain which comes close to it is Pret. There's a great choice of food from the more breakfast/afternoon tea assortments, to paninis, bagels and salads. No matter what you order, it'll be wonderful. The food is always freshly prepared in the kitchen and the staff at front of house are also friendly and polite, but not over-imposing. In fact one of the things I like is that it's laid out like a restaurant, but you can go up and order when you like. The staff then bring all the food to you.
Now the prices are similar to that of Cafe Nero or Pret, but the difference here is that they are most definitely worth what you get. The quality of the food is second to none, and they also give you loyalty cards for both food and drink, there's a 20% student discount (good for me!) and free wireless (and if you're a regular they give you extra discounts on top of that!).
Me and my boyfriend come here regularly, and so far we've yet to find anywhere like it that beats it.

They're now also doing a nightlife style thing for evenings (I think you get discounts on alcohol or something but I'm not sure) and Kafeneion has now extended its opening hours.

A truly underrated cafe. If you're in York I highly recommend going there!

Reviewed December 29, 2012

This is our favourite cafe in York. Hubby and I love to go in on a Sunday morning. Recommend their bacon Brie and cranberry panini. To die for! Excellent quality coffee. Superb selection of cakes. Really nice staff. Highly recommend.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Nice place, but on being served a lovely piece of cake with a big spoon sat on the plate, asked for a fork and was quickly given a dolls house spork thingamajig...I very politely asked for a normal fork....reply from whom I think was senior there, "Oh I'd have to go to the kitchen for that" and dismissed me. Being too polite to say anything further I went and ate my cake with my big spoon.....just shows what a difference service makes to your impression of a place, and how Trip Advisor helps you to mention these things. I will also mention that this same senior person (?) sneezed and spluttered herself through our 20 minute stay, which was a bit off-putting also, especially as she prepared our drinks.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

We stopped today about 2 in the afternoon and it was packed. Knowing nothing about it, we were very pleased with the taste of our sandwiches. In particular my chicken caesar was delicious. My coffee was excellent. My husband had one of their lunch specials and was equally pleased. Considering how busy it was, our sandwiches arrived in a very reasonable period of time. Dishes we were finished with were removed from the table promptly. The cakes and pastries looked wonderful. We had brownies that were very rich. We will definitely go again. I see they are open at night so we might try that. I would recommend to anyone.

Reviewed September 11, 2012

This is a lovely cafe. We only tried the coffee which was great, but the lay- out, decor and most importantly for me, the cleanliness of the toilets,will ensure a return visit for food on our next trip to York in October.