“Friendly & good choice”

Goji Vegetarian Cafe and Restaurant
Ranked #50 of 955 Restaurants in York
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions
Description: Goji Cafe is a Vegetarian Cafe, Restaurant, Deli / Take-away in York. Much of our food is also Vegan.
Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

I came for breakfast this morning. I really enjoyed the vegan granola and the green tea I had with it was also enjoyable. The cafe staff are very warm, friendly and informative. I'll be coming back to try the wide selection of vegan cakes.

3  Thank misterprezzo

Reviewed March 25, 2014

I came in during the week recently expecting this place to be amazing after seeing all the great reviews. I don't usually write reviews but since I work in the restaurant scene it Leeds the faults were extremely clear to me.

Unfortunately the place is in need of a dire clean and this is reflected in its terrible food hygiene rating of 2! Yes 2! Worse than kfc! The decor is outdated, the tables are too close together and it doesn't feel like you're out for a meal, rather sitting inside a dirty house.

In addition the waiting staff seemed totally overworked, and the restaurant clearly needs to hire more waiting staff. They were very polite though.

We waited ages for our food to arrive, I'm assuming this is a management issue as I was watching the poor waiting staff run around like flies constantly up and down three flights of stairs to the sound of a very late ringing bell. Perhaps the cooks cannot handle the workload, none the less I tipped the staff well for their efforts.

The food had good flavour, but was overpriced and didn't live up to the hype.

If you want good quality vegetarian food in York for a reasonable price and a nice quirky atmosphere I recommend going to El Piano. It's nearby and I went there the day after before heading home with my mates.

2  Thank Andy W
Gareth_at_GojiCafe, General Manager at Goji Vegetarian Cafe and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

We are very disappointed and sorry that you found the experience bad, particularly as we have had so many positive reviews and comments about all aspects of our cafe this month.

The Food Hygiene Rating is based on an inspection carried out in November. The structure of the establishment was the area that resulted in a drop in the rating. Food Hygiene and Safety as well as Confidence in Management was rated as “Good”. The structure element highlighted by the inspection included some maintenance and repair work which was required in the kitchen and some none compliance shelving in our store room. We carried out the maintenance and repair work within 7 days and the inspector of a follow up inspection was happy with the work carried out and the steps we had taken. In addition we had already planned a week in January to carry out maintenance and decorating work. We take this rating very seriously and have been working hard to improve further in this regard. Furthermore we are hoping to get reinspected as soon as possible and get the rating back up.

Most of the cafe was repainted in January as a part of our planned maintenance work which we feel has been done sympathetic to age and history of the building. The remaining areas for redecorating will be done very soon. Including our top dinning room and shop front.

We try to get staff levels correct based on how busy we expect to be. But like a lot of places in York we can get busier then expected. We are now more popular then ever and have been implementing some procedural changes to help staff cope at peak times on busy days. The staff do a wonderful Job and work hard.

Cafe's and restaurants on multiply levels are quite common in York. Staff generally only need to go up one floor when serving customers and not three flights of stairs as suggested.

Most main meals are cooked in the oven and we don’t have microwaves, therefore our food can take a little longer than a typical fast food establishment or a comparable establishment that uses a Microwave. We do monitor how long food takes and we aim to get cooked main meals out in 15 min from when the kitchen receive the order. At peak times this can take a little longer. If there is a significant delays the staff should communicate this to you and appropriate action taken. If there was a long wait in this case we hope the correct procedure was followed.

We aim to serve food which is accessible, homely and tasty. The vast majority of customers have been very happy with the whole experience at Goji Cafe as reflected by the recent reviews, comments in our comment book and feeback to staff. We feel this customers experience is in no way typical and would encourage any potential customers to also read some of the reviews posted below for a more balanced view.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

Visited York with vegan friend so decided to google appropriate eating places. This was first in search but well worth a visit. Food was all very fresh and did not feel I had missed out having no meat. I had humity pie and it was delicious as was the sweet potato wedges and other accompaniments. This is a busy place so be prepared to wait for table but I would say well worth wait staff are very friendly and extremely helpful

2  Thank Sandra_H186342
Reviewed March 21, 2014

I took my non-vegetarian friend with me to eat lunch (as I am veg*), and she was blown away. The place was charming, the staff was friendly and did a great job. The food. How do I even begin to describe it? It was so good we had to just sit there for hours because we ate so much of it. After eating lunch we had to taste some cakes and we chose the Mocha Chocolate Cake with a scoop of vanilla soy ice cream, and the strawberry cheesecake (all vegan). My friend could not believe that it was vegan, it might have thoroughly converted her.

The only downside was that they had no wifi - but, honestly, who needs wifi when you have such amazing food in front of you?

We will be back.

2  Thank Sofie S
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Where can three friends with completely different diets (an omnivore, vegetarian/gluten free and gluten/legume free) find wonderful food to satisfy their different needs? At Gogi- fantastic food and service at a very reasonable proce!! Go! Enjoy!