“Lovely weekend in York house”
Review of York House

York House
Ranked #68 of 195 York B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Good room, nicely decorated, but four poster bed was creaky and not very comfortable. All clean in the room but bathroom floor was a bit grubby. excellent breakfast each morning. No wi Fi during our stay, we were told it was going to be repaired but it didnt happen. Convenient location to the city centre. The owners were away on holiday, but they had several young women manning the hotel. They were all very pleasant but we did not really get chatting to them. All in all we had a great weekend and we would stay at York house again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
hep20, Owner at York House, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2013

Thank you for your honest review, I am sorry you missed us 5 weeks ago and glad you found the staff pleasant.. I am sorry you didn't have wifi, though this did happen over the weekend and the engineers were there on the next working day. This has now been corrected and a new modem and routers installed. It was another little something for the girls to deal with in our absence.

I am sorry you didn't find the bed very comfy as it has a brand new mattress, less than a month old, replaced as earlier guests thought the previous mattress was not comfy! Will take a look at the creaks to see what can be done - we don't know this occurs unless we are informed, so thank you for drawing it to my attention.

You'll be pleased to know that the shower room is being updated in January including new flooring.

I am glad you had a lovely weekend here and would be happy to stay with us again and if so it would be nice to meet you.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

My friend and I stayed for two nights during a girlie weekend in September. Our twin room was very comfortable and clean with a decent size en-suite. The room was situated at the back of the building which made for a peaceful night given the accommodation is situated on a busy road. All the staff were very friendly and eager to help. Breakfast was plentiful and certainly set you up for a hard days shopping. The centre of York is a 10-15 minute stroll away which was great when you weren't laden with shopping bags; the return journey is best done by bus! Overall a really nice place to stay; I've already recommended it to friend who I'm sure will enjoy it just as much as we did.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
hep20, Owner at York House, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Thank you for your kind review. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay at York House and am extremely grateful that you have recommended York House to your friend, personal recommendation is one of the best forms of publicity. Perhaps we may see you again should you decide to have another weekend in York.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights for our honeymoon, the room itself was big, clean and had a nice en-suite shower room with really big shower, the owners were nice and friendly and there was plenty of choice for breakfast.
We were in walking distance for town centre and there was also a bus every 10 minutes right on the doorstep.
There was plenty of information leaflets at hand and the owners knew the area very well.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
hep20, Owner at York House, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Thank you for your generous and kind review. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, we all appreciate your positive feedback and we do try to make guests feel welcome and at home throughout their stay with us at York House.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Nice, large, clean b&b. Professional, friendly and helpful staff. Excellent breakfast. Had to cancel one night's stay and they advised us how to do this I couldn't change it through booking.com. The owner's weren't around when we were there but the b&b is still run to a high standard which shows how professional the staff are. We had a lovely table in the breakfast room overlooking the garden. The breakfasts were plentiful and well made. The bathroom was clean and well-stocked. The bed was comfortable. For a short stay this is a super b&b. A bit pricey, but if you're looking for quality within a short walk from the centre of town, this is the one for you.

Stayed: September 2013
hep20, Owner at York House, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2013

Thank you for your generous review, I am pleased you were happy with the service, accommodation and food provided by York House staff whilst we were away on holiday. I shall pass on your comments on their professionalism, we are all appreciative of positive comments.

I am sorry you thought we were expensive, however, our prices are very much within the same range, if not the cheapest, for similarly graded accommodation that also offer the same facilities and within the same proximity to the city centre. Of course potential guests can take advantage of booking discount offers which makes the cost of the accommodation very reasonable indeed.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Probably the best B&B we have ever used. Friendly, helpful staff, clean and comfortable room with the biggest shower I have ever seen in a B&B plus an outstanding and very tasty selection at breakfast. The only down-side is that parking is a little tight, but once you have squeezed your car in you don't need it if you are exploring York because it is only a 10 minute walk to the Minster - even for oldies like us

Room Tip: Room 4 has the enormous shower.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
hep20, Owner at York House, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Thank you so much for your generous and glowing review. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay at York House and appreciated the large shower, comfortable room , breakfasts and housekeeping. Yes the car park is only able to take about 5/6 cars but we do offer alternative free parking within a minute's walk of the guest house.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Stayed only the one night in a double room. The host was very friendly showed us to our rooms and explained all the services. She even rang a taxi for us so that we could get into town. She gave us lots of information about where to go and restaurants etc. The rooms were of a good size, clean and with all the usual complimentary bits and pieces. Breakfast was very good in a lovely bright conservatory. Would recommend without hesitation and very good value for money

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your generous feedback. I am pleased you enjoyed the accommodation and hospitality at York House, and what more can we hope for than you would recommend York House and found it value for money.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

I walked from the York bus station (near rail station) to spend two nights at "York House” and was shown to a very nice room up a flight of stairs. As a sole traveler, my room had a single bed, well sized ensuite with toiletries and was very clean and comfortable. York House is conveniently next door to a pub called "Shoulder of Mutton" so after a day of sightseeing, I enjoyed a very nice pint there. York Minster (and the town centre) are within an easy 15 minute walk or there is a bus stop right outside the front door. Breakfast was included in the room rate and was served downstairs in a lovely conservatory/dining room overlooking the garden. Breakfast was wonderful: fruit juice, muesli, mixed berry compote and yoghurt followed by bacon, egg, baked beans, sausage and half a tomato and 2 rounds of toast. These magnificent breakfasts kept me going all day. I can highly recommend York House. Everything was perfect. Wonderful hosts, excellent location, comfortable and clean room and magnificent breakfasts.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
hep20, Owner at York House, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Thank you so much for your wonderful review, comments and scoring. I am extremely pleased that you enjoyed our accommodation and food. I am happy that you found the location OK for walking to the city centre and next door handy for a refreshing pint!