York House
$122
  • Breakfast included
$120
$94
York Marriott Hotel(York)(Great Value!)
$130
Marriott Hotels
  • Pool
Best Western York Pavilion Hotel(Fulford)(Great Value!)
$139
$114
Holiday Inn York(York)(Great Value!)
$100
$84
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Express York(York)(Great Value!)
$100
Travelocity
$134
$91
Travelocity
All reviewsbus stop rightb bcity centrebright conservatoryshoulder of muttonfour poster bedsingle roomkipperscooked freshbreakfast roomguest housedressing gownsthe pubbusy roadthe ground floorten minute walkdouble glazing
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I walked from the York bus station (near rail station) to spend two nights at "York House” and was shown to a very nice room up a flight of stairs. As a sole traveler, my room had a single bed, well sized ensuite with toiletries and was very clean and comfortable. York House is conveniently next door to a pub called "Shoulder of Mutton" so after a day of sightseeing, I enjoyed a very nice pint there. York Minster (and the town centre) are within an easy 15 minute walk or there is a bus stop right outside the front door. Breakfast was included in the room rate and was served downstairs in a lovely conservatory/dining room overlooking the garden. Breakfast was wonderful: fruit juice, muesli, mixed berry compote and yoghurt followed by bacon, egg, baked beans, sausage and half a tomato and 2 rounds of toast. These magnificent breakfasts kept me going all day. I can highly recommend York House. Everything was perfect. Wonderful hosts, excellent location, comfortable and clean room and magnificent breakfasts.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
hep20, Owner at York House, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Thank you so much for your wonderful review, comments and scoring. I am extremely pleased that you enjoyed our accommodation and food. I am happy that you found the location OK for walking to the city centre and next door handy for a refreshing pint!

Reviewed September 14, 2013

I stayed here for one night with my mate whilst we were competing in the North Yorkshire 'Lexus' Golf Challenge between the Ganton GC, and MoorTown GC legs of the comp. The host was very accommodating and moved his own car so that my mate and I could park our own cars comfortably there. In fact the owner parked my mate’s car for him as he said he was used to the car park and manoeuvring cars around it. The room was very adequate for our purposes being a well equipped twin room. The bed was comfortable and clean. The en suite was fairly roomy although the shower cubicle was on the small side. The breakfast was second to none and the staff so helpful. They could not do enough for you. They supplied us with plenty of extra toast, very professional and polite. I would recommend this venue as a stopover without hesitation, and would certainly return should I find myself in the area in the future. York town centre was a mere five minute walk away which meant we could have had a few drinks if we had chosen too, we ate at one of the restaurants in town and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The golf could have been better but none the less a great trip.....

Room Tip: Room 3 was great for us near the front of the hotel and car park.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
hep20, Owner at York House, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Thank you for your generous review, I am pleased you would consider staying at York House again if you are visiting York in the future, that's the best type of recommendation we can hope for. So glad you enjoyed your breakfast and found the room OK, unfortunately the shower cubicle can not be made larger as it would result in a very cramped en suite, if more room was taken for the en suite it would result in a smaller bedroom, difficult choice during construction.

I am pleased you found the location of our bed and breakfast not too far from the city centre and that you enjoyed a meal in a nice restaurant.

Glad you enjoyed your brief stay with us and look forward perhaps to meeting you again in the future.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

The York House has much to recommend it. It is a (long) walk into town meaning that you don't have to hassle with your car if you are there to see the sights. The hostess is very accommodating and her breakfasts are superb.

Our room was adequate in size with a typical small British shower but it faced the busy street and was a bit on the noisy side. For some unknown reason the proprietors placed a god-awful waterbed in the room which was predictably uncomfortable.

Although they advertise an on-site parking lot, it is so tiny that you may have to park in the pub around the corner as only a few very small vehicles can fit. Housekeeping was spotty-with no clean towels one day and all the dirty laundry left in our room in a bag the next day.

Bottom line here is that if you wind up at the York House you will probably be satisfied, if not thrilled with your stay. But, I'd shop around a bit more if I was going to stay in York again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that does not face the street
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry you were disappointed with York House but happy you enjoyed the food. However, you will be pleased to note that having had a brief sojourn with a water bed, this has been replaced at the beginning of September with a four poster bed, a shame it wasn’t there at the time of your visit. However the room description included information there was a water bed in that room, thus giving the prospective guest the choice of whether to reserve it or not.

The walk to York is as advertised, 10-15 minutes and it is a nice level walk beside a broad road leading to one of the major entry gates (bar) into the city. This means that it is a very safe and well lit area for anyone choosing to walk in any time of day or night, even for people who are visiting the city centre alone. This walk is under 0.5 of a mile, which I do not think is excessive for a city break as we certainly do not advertise ourselves as city centre location. Of course, there is a frequent shuttle bus service into the town for those who do not wish to walk and it is extremely convenient for York House.

All rooms are individual in size and style, no room is the same at York House, your room, as advertised on certain sites, is a total of 21.25 square meters which, under most circumstances, would be considered more than adequate. Unfortunately, the age of the house and pre-formed room layout affects the size of the ensuite room and consequently this dictates the size of shower that can be installed.
We do advertise free parking, and always offer free alternatives on the street and at a neighbouring pub; the current tenants are kind enough to allow us to use their car park as an overflow. Both these free alternatives are only a minute or so walk from the guest house. We advertise parking because we do have it available and so many other places in York are restricted to two on street permits per property as their sum total of free parking, so we consider ourselves very fortunate indeed to be able to offer this facility free of charge.

I apologise that you felt the housekeeping was not up to its usual high standard for your stay, usually it is extremely good. Like many other accommodation providers we are seeking to be more environmentally conscious, there is a notice in every en suite which requests that towels that require changing are placed in the shower and towels left on the rail or elsewhere mean that they can be used again. I apologise once more for the laundry bag being accidentally left in your room, as I did when you reported it to me and it was removed immediately, but it is the first time in 12 years that this has happened and should not occur again.

Traffic normally quietens down following the evening rush hour, we have installed, at great expense, extra secondary glazing units to work in conjunction with the existing double glazing, which should you choose to use these units, are amazing at excluding any road noise.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

3 day stay, excellent service, food (breakfast choice 2nd to none and cooked well.) Room spotless and comfortable and shower accessible (last place I stayed at, I had to climb over the toilet and sit sideways!!) Bus stop right outside and the drops you in city centre. Highly recommend and am using again. Jen, Birmingham.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
hep20, Owner at York House, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Thank you for your kind and generous review. I am so pleased you were happy with the accommodation, housekeeping, food and accessibility to the city from York House. I look forward to meeting you again in the future and would be very grateful if you could recommend York House to your friends and colleagues.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Stayed here for one night, double room with ensuite. Room & bathroom very clean & comfortable. Staff very friendly & breakfast cooked to order. 10 minute walk into the town centre, however bus stop right outside for those not wishing to walk

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
hep20, Owner at York House, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2013

Thank you for your kind and generous review. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay here and that the housekeeping was up to standard. I am pleased you found your room comfortable and that walk into the centre is not too long. I would be extremely grateful if you could recommend York House to friends and colleagues if they are considering staying in York some time in the future and, of course, I would be pleased to meet you again if you should ever visit York once more.