“Excellent little place”

Ranked #65 of 192 York B&B and Inns
England
“Excellent little place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

We stayed two nights in the four poster bedroom on the ground floor. We were initially concerned how much road noise we would hear with the windows open but this was not an issue at all. The room was spotlessly clean, well decorated and had a well stocked tea / coffee basket.

The hotel itself is a 10min walk to the centre of York but I am told there is a regular bus service stopping nearby that we didn't bother with.

The staff couldn't do enough to help us and breakfast was cooked fresh for us each morning.

Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
hep20, Owner at York House, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thank you very much for your generous and positive review. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay in the four poster room at York House and found the housekeeping up to a good standard and appreciated the well stocked beverage basket. I am pleased you were not disturbed by traffic noise and were able to keep windows open, if necessary guests can make use of the extra glazing which dulls all traffic noise.

The shuttle bus service is very convenient and regular, though it is close enough to walk into York centre from York House.

I am glad you enjoyed the food cooked to order, it so much better than having food served immediately because it will have been pre-cooked and held for any length of time, which does not enhance the texture or flavour.

Both the staff and I would very much appreciate any recommendations you can make to friends and colleagues, that if they should visit York in the future perhaps they could consider York House for accommodation.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

We stayed for one night in the four poster bed room, was fairly small badly decorated (red pictures on wall very out of place with green furnishings) brilliant four poster bed but unfortunately the fabric was stapled into the frame so we couldn't close it and the mattress was far too soft.Bathroom was right next to breakfast room so was very uncomfortable while trying to use it while hearing chinking plates and cups.Didn't receive a particularly warm reception in fact found the lady who showed us about was pretty offhand and rude, when we asked about getting to places etc she did give details of how to get there but didn't give us directions was more 'oh you get the bus from... *a place weyve never heard of!* breakfast looked promising, the breakfast staff were excellent until they explained the breakfast was made to order and to help yourself to cereal and fruit,was in the middle of debating what fruit to have when they looked at my boyfriends full cereal bowl and promptly took my bowl away!!no fruit for me! Cooked breakfast was pretty standard. In all, dreadful customer service,average room,average breakfast, wouldn't be recommending the place to anyone for the price they charge.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank denisew7186
hep20, Owner at York House, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
I am at a loss, what can I say other than I am sorry to read your negative review and wondered if you had stayed at the same York House as other guest reviewers. It is a great shame you had a completely contrasting customer experience, which is poles apart when compared to the experiences of the vast majority of earlier guests. I am also amazed you did not like the fact that breakfast is cooked fresh to order as opposed to being cooked in advance and suffering the consequences of such. I can only apologise that our high standards are obviously not equal to your even higher expectations.
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

A great place to stay - my single room was really comfortable and well-equipped, and the made-to-order breakfast (ham and cheese omelette!) was absolutely superb. The staff were really helpful and went out of their way to improve my stay - even letting me use another room in the guest house to change and prepare for a wedding in the morning whilst the room I had booked for the forthcoming night was still occupied. I cannot speak highly enough of York House, and will hopefully have the opportunity to stay there in the future.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
hep20, Owner at York House, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for your generous review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and would be pleased to see you again should you visit York in the future.
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

As above, this is my greatest B&B experience. A short walk from York (you can see the Minster from just outside) and free parking too!

The owners were very welcoming and there is free wifi, and a free breakfast (with lot of choice) the following morning.

I stayed in a single room and there is a flat screen television on the wall, complimentary dressing gowns, a kettle, sachets of things like hot chocolate etc (which I thought was a lovely touch) and complimentary soap and shampoo & conditioner.

They let us have 2 people in a single room due to most of York being fully booked up, but it was cosy nonetheless!

You have key access so you can come and go as you please, and the owners cannot do enough for you! There's a lovely conservatory to sit in and also a fish tanks inside the wall in the breakfast room.

10/10, the very best, I will tell all my friends and family about this one. I would stay here again even if there were rooms available in York city centre.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank NatP87
hep20, Owner at York House, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
What can \I say but thank you for your kind review and am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the York House.
The room we stayed in was the 4-poster room, which was lovely, very spacious with big windows, on the front of the B&B. The only thing that was not convenient was the matress of the bed, it was probably old and that's why it was not very comfortable.
However, the shower was excellent and our room (as well as the guesthouse in general) is overall very clean.
Breakfast was freshly cooked and delicious and it also had fresh fruit ,cereal, toast, ham, cheese.
The location is very good, not inside the old city but in a comfortable 10 mins walk from the gate.

2 Thank maikol77
hep20, Owner at York House, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
I am glad you enjoyed your accommodation and food at York House. I am sorry you found the mattress too soft, however, this could have been remedied as I had put on a substantial mattress topper following complaints that it was too firm - this could have been removed for your stay. As you say it is just a 10 minute walk to the Minster from York House, and I agree our location is good in relation to access to the city centre. If we were located within the city walls we would not be able to offer free parking and room rates increase dramatically and, of course, there is the general city hum of noise and nightlife noise which we do not tend to suffer from being located just on the outskirts of the city centre.
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

We arrived at York house and Met by David and assisted with the car parking we checked in and access to the doors was explained and information about bus services and and distance from York which was very close 10 min walk which was ideal .
As it turned out we got a taxi £ 4.50 as it was raining .
The room We stayed in was the Four poster room which was nearest the front door but not a problem the room had triple glazing and quiet as on the front of the Hotel .The bedroom was a good sized room with tv /DVD lots of tea coffee etc and a hair dryer even an IPod dock lovely bed although a bit soft for us but looked lovely spotlessly clean with a large shower and complimentary shower gels etc .
in the wardrobe were bath robes to use and a fan if needed .
The Breakfast was served between 8am and 930 am and was fresh fruit ,cereal ,toast and a full English cooked to order in a lovely conservatory over looking beautiful terraced garden .
The cooked breakfast was very nice and served by very friendly staff .
We left after breakfast and found a great car park near to the railway museum £4 all day on a Sunday which left us to explore the sights on a sunny Sunday .
.We had a perfect weekend Thank you Katherine and David

1 Thank Shorty78_13
hep20, Owner at York House, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thank you for your lovely comments and generous review. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. It's a shame you didn't let me know about the bed as we could have addressed this issue without too much problem and made the mattress a little firmer throughout your stay. I am pleased you enjoyed the sights of York and found such a reasonably priced car park.
Rickmansworth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

We enjoyed our overnight stay at York House, which is very comfortable and within walking distance of the city centre. Breakfast was freshly cooked and delicious. Our room was lovely and an early check in was no problem. We happily recommend this B&B.

2 Thank JulieMellinda
hep20, Owner at York House, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. I am so pleased you enjoyed the hospitality York House offered and even more delighted that you would recommend our bed and breakfast establishment.