“Most disappointing”

Grays Court Restaurant
Ranked #282 of 858 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: British, French, European
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff
Description: Grays Court is a boutique hotel and heritage property in York that boasts over 900 years of colourful history. Nestled between the Minster and city walls. We are a one-off, a country house hotel in the heart of the city waiting to be explored. As well as eleven individual luxury bedrooms, we house a vibrant resturant and bar and walled garden which proved a beautiful and original venue for meetings, private dining and celebrations.
York UK
“Most disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

I have just returned from lunch at Gray's Court which was a most disappointing experience. I had the Tartinette ( potato cheese onion and ham pie) which I had first tasted in Geneva last week. The dish when it came was swimming in fat - butter I think- which made it quite
Inedible. I asked the waitress to return it to the kitchen so that the fat could be drained off. The second attempt was a little better but the meal was certainly not an enjoyable experience.The ham was tough and fatty and at £9 I felt very let down.
When the bill came I noticed that I had been charged £7 50 in error for a small pot of tea!

The setting is delightful but the food I had is certainly not to be recommended.

• Visited October 2012
3 Thank TrishYorkUK
HHeraty, Owner at Grays Court Restaurant, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review, I am glad to see that you enjoyed the service and surroundings, all the staff here work hard to deliver the best possible service and despite the error in your bill it was dealt with properly. It should not have happened of course, but sometimes, particularly when very busy, mistakes are made and I apologise for that.

Regarding the tartiflette, you are absolutely right that the dish had split. We were painfully aware that this was happening and were trying to find ways to prevent it. This happens when the acidity of the potatoes reacts with the cream during heating.

Since then we have revisited the recipe, found a more suitable variety of potato and method of cooking and thankfully the problem has been resolved.

Helen

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Very nice meal in a lovely location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

This is something of a find - a quiet restaurant in a popular tourist destination, a stone's throw from one of the city's main attraction. Situated a few minutes walk from York Minster, Grays Court is a beautiful building with quiet, well kept gardens. On the afternoon we ate here, the sun was shining and so we planted ourselves in the garden, in a small nook of the grounds with the city wall just behind us. We ordered high tea, which was very pleasing, and stayed for so long that we became peckish and ordered a late lunch here, also. The mushroom stroganoff on granary toast with stilton and was an absolute delight. Excellent value in a perfect setting. Highly recommended.

• Visited October 2011
York, United Kingdom
“Gone downhill - what a shame!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

The location is wonderful and the garden is lovely, but I won't go here any more unless they improve the food and service. It used to be fabulous, but my last visit - a special afternoon tea for a group of colleagues - was a terrible disappointment. We had booked a table - they got the time wrong and thought we weren't coming, so sold one of our scones! They might as well have sold the rest of them - they were awful! Dry, with a thin smear of bright red jam (might have been strawberry - hard to tell) and an equally tiny smear of cream. Not the way to serve scones! The sandwiches were also dry, ditto the cakes, which were extremely uninspiring. Looked as though they'd scraped something together from yesterday's leftovers. At £70 for four people this was a rip-off! And where have the comfy sofas gone?

• Visited July 2012
3 Thank HelenSid
London
“Expensive, dry scones and no more comfy sofas - go to Bar convent instead”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

Well, what a bad change- don't bother going to the cafe indoors, now they are focussing on bed and breakfast only hard chairs and dry food, grim service too. Couldn't beliEve the price of scones and a cuppa.... More than 7gbp. Next day we went to the bar convent at the top of micklegate- HUGE fab scone, lovely cafe ans garden huge moist fruit scone, fab, specialist tea all under 4 pounds... Say no more

• Visited July 2012
3 Thank Gmswdc
derbyshire
“Excellent location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012 via mobile

Bit of a mixed one, found the place straight away with the trusty sat nav, very quaint and tucked away 100mtrs from the Minster. Wonderful appearance , slightly marred by lady leaving saying sorry we are closed today , worrying as I had only booked 2hrs earlier. Turns out it was a training day for the food staff.
Check in good , lots of stairs and historical stuff, wonderful .
Room pretty much perfect.
Big night out , lots to see and do, recommendations, open top tour bus and Frank Green's house next door to the Hotel.
Great nights sleep, breakfast next day a little haphazard, told we don't 'do' baked beans, I love baked beans! I'm no fan of Kilner jars for cereals and sauces, you just don't know what and how old?
I can say the brown sauce was not HP.
Eggs not free range, no marmalade available but overall the waitress made up for the little deficiencies.
To sum up, perfect location, building, room and bathroom, slightly marred by breakfast.

2 Thank hotel-guest45