“Sunday lunch”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Visited Stonegate Yard today for the first time, have been lots of times when it was Oscars. Still a lovely relaxing atmosphere to eat and drink in. We went on a Sunday lunchtime looking for something different from the usual roast dinner. I chose steak pie and my husband had the gammon and eggs, my pie although it was a very large portion was nothing special and the pastry was so thin it was tasteless it came with mash and peas which was also just so so. My husbands meal however was very nice but his chips were lukewarm. Staff were very helpful and friendly and although I wasn't overly impressed with the food it was value for money and I would go back, but choose something else from the menu.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

We visited Stonegate Yard on a busy Saturday lunch time. We were a family group of 10. At first we could see no suitable spaces but a member of staff searched and came back and asked us to follow him. he sat us on 2 tables and we were later able to move to the same table. The food was very good and something to suit all out tastes. Service was quick. Staff very friendly and helpful. We definitely recommend this destination.

1  Thank Jangels
Reviewed February 25, 2014

We dropped into Stonegate yard today after seeing menus on website.I had a beef and creamy horseradish baguette and a glass of red wine and my wife had a bacon and Brie baquette with wine , both came with chips and salad and tasted fantastic all for £11 (£5.50). The place was very clean and the waitress was not only enthusiastic but very friendly. We'll certainly be going again. Well done and thank you.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Dropped in here for my birthday on Saturday with my partner and daughter. Even though it was packed, they found us a table and the service was lightning fast! The kid's menu was great and the veggie options for me were terrific (try the veggie chilli!). It bridges the gap between bar and restaurant perfectly.

1  Thank SwissTonyJalland
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We popped in here after it was recommended by a barman at The Guy Fawkes pub. I'm glad he did as it was good value and very tasty.

It was nice and relaxed, which was just what we wanted and the music was great too with various 80's & 90's indie classics (The Smiths, Pulp, The Cure, Talking Heads) coming from the bar next door at just the right volume.

We shared a baked Camembert for our starter which was unfaultable. From this point forth we selected only from the 'specials' (board, not the ska group) and were very pleased. I had flounder and the Mrs had pork. Both were delicious. Our desserts were also tasty, plentiful and nearly half the price as the normal menu.

The normal menu would do a great job for lunch and the specials were great for our evening meal, so could suit either. I would visit again if in York and would recommend to friends visiting the area.