“Great Cocktails!”

Ranked #105 of 883 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: WELCOME to Evil Eye. Home of the bizarre, weird and wonderful. Hidden behind our spirit shop and internet cafe you'll find an escape from the norms of York and a place to relax. We specialize in Thai food and tasty cocktails. All made with fresh ingredients, prepared and put together by our well trained, friendly staff. With a huge range to choose from, there's something to suit every pallet. See you at the bar!
Kilburn, United Kingdom
“Great Cocktails!”
Reviewed November 29, 2013

This place is amazing for cocktails. The first night we visited was dead in there! could not decide what to order to the bar staff made us their recommendations after asking us what we liked in our drinks...they got it spot on!!
the second night we visited, must of been student night, very busy, took about 20 minutes to get served. the girl that served us was rude to one of the other bar staff who was clearly in training...felt really sorry for him however she was clearly under a lot of stress as is was PACKED.
Love the relaxed attitude in there. Didnt eat but drank plenty...cocktails were amazing! the back wall is literally covered in every bottle of alcohol you can imagine.
Would definitely visit again.

Letchworth, United Kingdom
“Great cocktails, good service...shame about the smell and the toilets (don't even go there!)”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

We went to the Evil Eye Lounge on recommendation and we were not disappointed. The drinks were really good, staff were friendly and the service was fine. At times it took a little longer to get served but one has to accept that making a good cocktail does take time. The staff were helpful and really friendly.

As for the food - Delicious!

I would be giving this place 5 star if it were not for two factors: -

1.) The smell in the bar was bad. It just seemed as if the place hadn't been cleaned in weeks. As a paying customer you would expect to enjoy an environment free of repugnant odours.

2.) The toilets are smelly, dirty, cramped and, for those sober people - a tad awkward. This is compounded by the fact they are unisex. Ladies in our group found them a real turn-off.

Is there an underlying theme of poor cleanliness...? Perhaps.

Wakefield, United Kingdom
“VIP at the bar!!! (that's us BTW...)”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Dont; know about the food buuut... drinks were had = Proper bo' tasty cocktails! Yes you do need to wait for a drink as they're a bit more time consuming to prepare than a bottle straight from a fridge! D'oh! Totally worth it though, you gotta try the Lychee Martini!! Staff were knowledgeable and friendly, tips are greatly appreciated and get you VIP status at the bar ;) haha! Shop at the front has some great one-off unusual spirits in stock too, worth a peruse fo' sho!

Northampton, United Kingdom
“Disgusting attitude and flies in our drink”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We came here on the recommendation of other tripadvisor reviews, what a mistake to make.

The drinks are very expensive, I was happy to pay for the drinks because you think you are going to get a great cocktail, alas the cocktails were mediocre. The bar also stank of vomit, I have no idea why but it really did, you got used to the smell after a while but still...pretty disgusting.

Anyway my main gripe is that my partner had a fly in his drink, so I took the drink up to the bar to advise them and the duty manager (I guess??) was just horrid, she pretty much accused us of planting this fruit fly, refused to reimburse or give us another drink and seemed like it was normal!! Now I work on a bar and I know full well that fruit flies get inside drinks and syrups, when they do you need to get rid of the bottle and open a new one. We were planning to stay the night and buy more drinks but after her attitude we just left, I've never been treated like that in any establishment, I have attached a photo to this review that shows the fly in the bottom of the drink as it was being made to prove that we did not plant it and to prove the lack of care and quality of this places stock.

Arrogant and careless service, avoid if you actually care where you spend your money and time. I suggest they invest some time in training their staff and management on simple human decency, manners and customer service. Bora Bora which is just around the corner was far superior in the end.

3 Thank KatrinaC26
Wakefield, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Service Terrible”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I've been to the evil eye a couple of times as the food is so good- hoping that the service was just a one off or that they were especially busy and stressed that day.

However I have now resigned myself to the fact that the staff are just downright rude.. Ignoring you, being offhand, and generally offensive.. they definitely need some training. Also food takes literally hours to arrive ruining a day trip to York if your not from the city.

I hear its good for cocktails.. however do not order food- unless your happy for a long wait and to be treated like dirt for ordering off a menu they gave you.

• Visited October 2013