“A Very Happy Stay.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in York
The Old Vic Guest House
Ranked #59 of 194 York B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 23, 2013

The Old Vic is easy to find and just the right distance from the city centre for a pleasant walk along the river. We were given a warm welcome when we arrived for a 2 day weekend visit from Julie and the family dog Leo(?).
The room was smaller than we were expecting, but it was clean and there was a generous supply of tea, coffee and milk - always a winner in my book!
Breakfast was perfect! A Full English is always essential when it's thrown in with the package and it was cooked as though I'd cooked it myself. And it was during breakfast that we met the rest of the resident family, who were all so friendly.
So, if you're looking for affordable accommodation in one of Britain's most interesting cities, this is the place!

Why only 4 out of 5? Well, although we were lucky, there is potential for noise from neighboring rooms as the walls are thin. This is only to be expected, but just a note for those who don't sleep too well (like myself). Fortunately, the guests in the next room were on the same sleep/awake rota as us.

Would I stay again? Yes!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 22, 2013

very friendly and helpful.lovelly breakfast freshly cooked. only ten minute walk along the river to the city.julie ian very nice and helpful as the staff too.rooms well equipped with tea and coffee making facilities and en suite shower room. there was a book with helpful information about the B and B plenty of information of the local area. where to eat amd local transport. could not fault this B and B as anyone who wants to stay in a friendly homely and good quality I totaly recommend.

Room Tip: double room with big bay
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I arrived mid-week with my two older children for a two night stay - we really enjoyed our time at the Old Vic. Julie greeted us at 11:00am with Leo (their family spaniel) and had no problem with our early arrival. The family room (room 2) we had booked was clean, fresh, spacious, well-equipped with tea and coffee making facilities and an en-suite shower room. There was a folder of information about the B&B itself and plenty of detail about the local area, including where to eat, local transport or the nearby scenic riverside walk into town. As a family, we enjoyed the 15 minute walk into the city and we felt it added to our experience as a whole. The room had free wi-fi that was easy to access and freeview TV. Breakfast was served from 8:00-9:00 and was good and plentiful with a choice of full English, toast, cereals, fresh juice and hot drinks. The family were friendly and welcoming, Leo , the dog, was especially keen to greet us, which the children loved! I would recommend the Old Vic to anyone looking for a good value, good quality, homely B&B.

Room Tip: Bunk beds in room were suitable for older children.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Found this on the web liked the look of it and it certainly lived up to the images and previous reviews. Excellent service, friendly and helpful
Delicious breakfast kept me going all day all freshly cooked.
Close enough to the city to walk, alongside the river which was very pleasant as it is away from the traffic
As it was our anniversary we also wanted someone special to eat the family gave us a recommendation it was perfect
Would have no hesitation in recommending this to family and friends
Good value
Thank you to the whole family for such a pleasant stay

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Myself, my wife and our two children stayed at the old vic for three nights over Easter.

The whole experience was fantastic. We arrived on Friday 29th March at around 5pm and were greeted by Ian and Leo (the dog) who my daughter instantly fell in love with :)

Ian, Julie and all staff were very nice and helpful .
We stayed in the family room (No 2), which was newly decorated and very clean. My kids loved the bunk beds :)
The food was fantastic too.
All in all me and my family were extremely happy with our stay and are already thinking about our next visit.

Thank you Ian, Julie, Leo, family and staff for such an enjoyable stay.

David, Emma, Niall and Erin .

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Was lucky enough to come across The Old Vic Guest House, which came to my rescue having asked at about 20 places in York that were either fully booked or didn't accept 1-night only stays; understandable, especially with it being a bank holiday weekend, but frustrating for me nonetheless. The room was advertised as being £35 but when I rang up, they seemed to quote a price of £32. Thought I had mis-heard but upon checking my bank statements, I realised that it was indeed £32 - a bargain compared to the prices I had seen on the websites of other B & Bs/ guest houses.

Was warmly greeted with a smile from Julie who showed me to my room which felt a lot bigger than it looked. The room was clean, immaculately kept and I also had exclusive access to my private bathroom just a couple of strides away which similarly looked like it had been taken good care of. The hand-held shower was easy to operate and the shower pressure was very good; it could be adjusted depending on how powerful you wanted it to be. They also supplied shower gel even though I was told I would have to bring my own.

The Wi-fi was working fine, as was the TV. The windows could be locked, making the room secure. The bed was comfy and the noise from the traffic wasn't too bad with it being located on a side street. There is a bus stop on Fulford Road, only a minute or two's walk away from the guest house (the number 7, the Red Line, will take you there from the city centre/ rail station) or alternatively, the walk along the river is a very scenic route. The decor in the room was very nice, as was the case in the dining room. There was a folder with all the information you would need to know about your stay and about York, including practical aspects such as breakfast times, places to eat out and how to get into the city centre (by bus, walking and taxi). It was pretty comprehensive which shows you how well they know the area. There were also a load of leaflets and booklets/guides near the entrance about places to visit, things to do in York (which, considering York's history and wealth of attractions, is plenty).

Breakfast, which was served from 8am - 9am, was quite substantial, a good fry-up to set you up for the day but there were also healthier options if you wanted them. The little chocolate bunny under the cup was a lovely touch. Julie mentioned that they are thinking of extending the serving time to 9:30 but it looks like they are doing that already, judging by how flexible and accommodating they were with guests arriving 20 minutes after service was meant to have stopped.

If I was to be a bit picky, it would have been nice to have a desk to rest my laptop on as I had to go on it sitting on the bed which wasn't ideal. I know this would have restricted the room space somewhat but even just a small desk would have been useful. Also, the room was still a bit cold even when I had closed the windows and turned up the heating to maximum. They did supply an extra blanket but I guess with this harsh weather, they could have supplied another 2 blankets and I still wouldn't have felt warm enough. Everything that was within their control though, I could not fault.

Staying here made for a pleasant first stay in York. Would bring an extra layer or two with me next time but I definitely would not hesitate to stay here again. Very good value for money.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank melancholymayhem
Reviewed March 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights over the Easter break. The family and staff of the guesthouse were lovely and very friendly! The room we stayed in was also lovely but could have benefitted from blackout curtains. The three rooms surrounding ours were occupied by a large family with two very noisy, bratty kids who were constantly screaming and crying so loudly that we could hear them from our room and they woke us in the middle of the night. This is obviously not the guesthouse's fault and the owner did speak to the parents. Other than the misfortune of that inconsiderate family staying in the guesthouse we had a lovely time and the breakfast was very decent too. Maybe a guesthouse age limit would be good? ;-)

• Stayed: April 2012