“Lively York Venue”

Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Home Style
Transit: York Station
Description: The Living Room York is situated on the first floor within the new riverside Merchant Exchange development on Bridge Street adjacent to the Ouse Bridge. With fabulous views across the river Ouse, it has quickly become a favourite neighbourhood hangout in the city centre. Dine on a range of affordable hit dishes such as the crispy duck wrap, sea bass on a bed of ratatouille and wild rocket, and Thai salmon fishcakes. Drinks go down just as well as the food, probably because there���s always something new to try from the monthly beer, wine and cocktails list.
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We went for Saturday dinner.

The place was very busy both in the bar with live music and in the restauarant.

However the service was excellent and the food beautifully presented and quickly served.

It is always a good test for an establishment when under pressure -the Living Room passed with flying colours!

TLR_York, Manager at The Living Room - York, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Hello There,

Thank you for lovely comments from your experience of The Living Room York.

We are very bust most of the time so its a pleasure to hear that your service and food/ drink where not effected.

Hopefully we will be welcoming you back soon.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Always a great environment in the evening, with its dark atmospheric decor. Great selection of cocktails too!

We used to eat here on a regular basis as the food used to be so good. Over the last 2 years though, its been really hit and miss unfortunately and we have moved our group nights out else where, and isn't the first place now I would think about eating out with friends, infact I just wouldn't.

The clientele is much older here, which makes it a more sophisticated venue.. its just unfortunately it is 'over the bridge' on the dark side of york - locals will know exactly what I mean by this!

If you were going out in York.. I'd stick to up near Swinegate where there is a good selection of bars and restaurants in a smaller area..

Hello there,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review.
I am sorry that you feel we are hit and miss over the past 2 years. As a local I know exactly what you mean by 'the other side of the bridge' but we like to think with our views of the river and two balconies its worth being on this side for our picturesque views of the river Ouse.

I do hope that in the future you will see fit to try us out for one your 'nights out' and please feel free to contact myself directly on yorkpa@thelivingroom.co.uk to book and I will make sure you are looked after.

Thanks again

Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Been in here a few times and always found it a great bar. The decor is lovely, and the bar staff are in a league of their own. Highly recommended

Hello there,

Thanks very much for your lovely comments.

I am so pleased that you enjoy the bar and that the bar staff have been looking after you. We have some great bar tenders who work really really hard - so its superb to hear that they are appreciated.

Hopefully you will be back soon to try the new drinks menu.

Thanks again

Reviewed July 12, 2013

I have eaten here a couple of times and found it to be a good standard, however, this review is not about the food. The management need to stop yobs tipping drinks off the balcony onto people walking below. Yes I had beer tipped onto me. When I went to the doormen to complain they were indifferent to my complaint. They refused me entry because they said there would be a confrontation and they also failed to take any action against the individual (who I could identify) because they said they were going to keep an eye on him. I asked them to speak to him but they refused, what is the point of having doormen and security if they don't take any action?

1  Thank EastMidlandsRover

Hello there,

Thank you for taking the time for writing to us at The Living Room York.

However- we are slightly confused. We did have an incident in which some of our customers behaved inappropriately on the balcony towards people walking past on the path below. However at this point the passers complained to the staff at the front door- who where unaware of what had happened - on hearing the issue the door team promptly identified at removed the guests who instigated the problem. This was duly noted in our incident book on the evening. If yours is another case - or miss-communication from the door staff I would ask you to please contact myself directly so that I might be able to get to the bottom of this immediately. I am always available on yorkpa@thelivingroom.co.uk or 01904 461 000 during normal office hours.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

We came here for a dinner to celebrate my daughter's graduation. We were panicking a bit, as everywhere seemed to be booked up. However booked the Living Room sight unseen through Tabletalk. It looked nice on the web, and importantly stayed open late - and let us have a 21.15 hrs reservation. The grad ceremony was at 17.30 hrs, and we did not have clue how long everything would take with photos drinks, family etc. What is it with most restaurants in York seeming to close just after 22.00 hrs?

I needn't have worried though. We got their an hour early - but the lovely staff made us very welcome. Food was lovely, cocktails were great, champagne was good - service was perfect too. Lovely vibe too and great views over the river. Highly recommend it

TLR_York, Manager at The Living Room - York, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Hi there,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review for The Living Room York.
I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit and that you where looked after well by the staff.

Congratulations on your daughters graduation - I am thrilled that we where able to play a part in making this such a special occasion for you.

Thank you again and hopefully we will be welcoming you here again soon.

Kindest Regards