“Terrible Customer Service”

Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
York, United Kingdom
“Terrible Customer Service”
Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

My fiancée and I decided to try the Indian Ocean for a sit down meal as we'd had a takeaway from them in the past, and loved the food.

From the moment we arrived things were a little disappointing.. We went up to the front to say we'd arrived and get shown our table but the man there was on the phone, which was ok but he didn't look up to acknowledge us, then when he'd finished on the phone he still did something else before finally making eye contact. That was fair enough, I thought maybe just that guy was a bit rude.

The restaurant wasn't too busy but it took a fair while to order drinks, we also said yes we'd like a pickle tray and poppadoms, when the drinks came a different guy took our order and asked again if we'd like poppadoms, fair enough, miscommunication.

Now the food was lovely, I enjoyed every bite.. But here's a thing, we didn't have napkins, in fact nobody did! Had they run out? Who knows. The staff never once said please or thank you, smiled or offered any welcoming gestures so we didn't fancy asking for napkins and ill be honest, that's something I would just expect in a restaurant.

Final insult, the man who came with the bill passed the chip and pin to my fiancée, I said I'm paying tonight and he just flung it in front of me and walked off!! I put in my pin, took my receipt out and waited a good few minutes for him to come back for it, when he pretty much grabbed it and walked off, no thank you, nothing from he guy on the front desk either. RUDE.

I threw away the takeaway menu when I got home. Lovely food but unfortunately we went away really annoyed and feeling like we were an inconvenience for the staff and won't be going back. One smile or kind word could've saved this review from 'terrible' but not this time!

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Diamondpony

York
“Good food but it's a wedge.”
Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

Friendly atmosphere, asked us if the food was ok then left us alone; which I like. Food was tasty, hot is hot - as described on menu. Service is quick. The only gripe is that the drinks are expensive, making it an unusual 'curry' experience e.g. Fairly pricey.

Visited April 2013
York, United Kingdom
“Good food but long wait”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We ordered take away for delivery which arrived 50 minutes after the time they had stated with no apology. The food however was tasty and fresh.

• Visited April 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“2nd time was dreadful!”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

As a student, takeaways are not something I can often afford. My boyfriend and I tried this takeaway a week ago and thoroughly enjoyed our meal, so much in fact we decided to order again today. Having just 'finished' our meal, we are very disappointed. We each had a korma, my veg one was the same as last time but my boyfriend ordered chicken korma instead of lamb the previous time, and says it was nowhere near as good. We also decided not to order naan bread or poppadoms to dip into the curry, as we actually had chips last time which were so nice we thought we would just have those. Instead, we got stale, thin french fries which were completely inedible. Therefore, we just had plain curries, which ultimately ruined the meal and we ate it because we had to in order to not waste money, rather than enjoying it. We are now headed for the shop for something nice for dessert since we are completely unsatisfied and still hungry!!

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Emma3662
York, England, United Kingdom
“Sugar high?”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Every dish has lots of sugar added. Tomato sauce with sugar or cream sauce with sugar.
Do not order the Darjeeling dish!!!!!!!!!!! It is like an Indian lasagne with sugar. A layer of tomato sauce with a layer of cream sauce on top......then on top they put ..youve guessed it! A GLACE CHERRY. The final proof that every meat dish is in fact a pudding.

• Visited May 2012