“Highly recommended for charm, elegance and generosity of proportion”
Review of The Holly Lodge

The Holly Lodge
Ranked #152 of 192 York B&B and Inns
Houston, Texas
“Highly recommended for charm, elegance and generosity of proportion”
Reviewed July 8, 2010

When my husband and I drove into the city limits of York at about 8p.m on June 10th, we found ourselves in the unique position of not booking, in advance, a place to stay for the night. We were in the last leg of our four day journey that included stops in Bakewell, Derbyshire and Haworth , West Yorkshire. York was our last stop , chosen for its proximity to Castle Howard which was to be our last visiting place before heading back to London. For the last night of our trip, I was looking for a place that provided both character and comfort. After enjoying the cozy inns and cottages of Peak District and Bronte country I was hankering for a room with generous proportions.

We stopped and examined the rooms of three B&Bs before pulling in the driveway of Holly Lodge and right away I knew we have arrived at our destination.The exterior of the building hinted at the spaciousness of the rooms inside and sue enough the room that we were shown into was large and expansive not to mentioned tastefully decorated in color schemes that were easy on the eyes. The huge windows were a special treat , specially the one which looked at the front of the building and provided a close up view of the beautiful climbing roses. If I was pleased with the generous size of the room, the vastness of the en suite bathroom made me do a happy dance. It is quite unusual to to find such fine big bathrooms in bed and breakfast guest houses. I looked forward to not only the comfort of a good night sleep but also the pleasure of performing morning cleansing in an open generous space.

My only regret is that due to shortage of time I did not get to enjoy the lounge which exuded a lovely tranquil ambiance. I would have loved to relax on the comfy sofa after a day out of exploring the sounds and sights of York. As it is, I am happy that after breakfast I dashed into it for a few moments and the guest house's manager was kind enough to take some very nice snapshots of my husband and I in that beautiful setting. Before we took our leave, I enjoyed an excellent chat with the manager whom I found to be superbly knowledgeable about his field.

All in all staying In Holly Lodge was a wonderful experience and I can't recommend it enough for its charm, elegance and generosity of proportion.

Hina & Qamer Shah

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
birmingham
Reviewed June 27, 2010

Just had a one night stay at the holly Lodge in York. The owner was very friendly and made sure we liked the room before we agreed to stay. The location is excellent, a short walk along the river into the centre of York. The room was quite large, clean and bright. The bed was amazing and the breakfast was brill!! would definately recommend.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Hampshire
Reviewed May 18, 2010

I stayed here for two nights recently. The building, grade 2 listed, is very impressive in itself. There are 6 rooms I think, including one on the ground floor.

My room was spacious, clean and very comfortable. My one concern with the room is the curtains. I like "blackout" curtains. I did not have them so I did wake a little earlier than I had hoped.

The location is good - a little over a mile from the centre of the city. Buses are plentiful from the stop which is directly outside the Lodge on Fulford Road. Alternatively, the river is very close by and provides a lovely walk into the city.

The city itself is gorgeous.

Breakfast in the Lodge is a slightly restricted episode. It is only available from 8.30 - 9.00. I really do not now why it is so restricted. Breakfast was very good when it was available.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Manchester
Reviewed April 11, 2010

Just spent the weekend with my husband.
The room was spacious and comfortable,very clean and plenty of hot water for a long leisurely soak after all that walking in York.
We have been staying here for 14 years,on several occasions with the children and have always been treated impeccably.
Worth the stay just for the delicious breakfast.
The host is warm and welcoming and nothing is too much trouble.
He is an invaluable aid on places to see and where to eat etc.
The free parking is an added bonus.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Alderley Edge, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2010

I Stayed here with a colleague for one evening, the manager was very pleasant, however the overall impression was that it was very dated, the shower pressure was awful !
Location good, however for £88/night for two people i think you will be better off in a travel lodge, i would not stay here again and would not recommend

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these York hotels

mozza
Reviewed January 29, 2010

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Holly Lodge Hotel. Staff were friendly and approachable, and the room was clean and spatious. The hotel is well situated in the city with easy access to the local facilities. Highly recommended!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago
Reviewed December 8, 2009

I was not overly impressed with our stay at the Holly Lodge recently. While our room was large (it appeared to have been previously a sitting room), the carpets were pretty dingy and overall a fairly run down feeling about it. The parking was free as advertised though. The walk into town was a bit more of a hike that I'd anticipated and the river walk was flooded, so not useable. After the first night, we used a car service and that worked out just great - just 5-6GBP from city center to b&b for 4 of us. The last morning apparently the boiler had gone out to our room, which was unfortunate given it hovering around 0 outside and resulted in no hot water in the bathroom as well. I do not remember the last place we stayed while in York, so I cannot say how this compared. And, to be quite honest, Holly Lodge probably suffered compared with an amazing b&b experience elsewhere the night before.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family