“Excellent customer service”

Farthings Guest House
Ranked #55 of 194 York B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the farthings for 2 nights for my husbands birthday. we were given a warm welcome. The standard of cleanliness is outstanding and rooms very comfortable and well decorated. breakfast is of the highest standard with locally sourced produce. The only small negative was the very tiny bathroom. So small that the sink was in the bedroom. This did not spoil our stay however in this beautiful guest house. We would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights and experienced a wonderful time this is a great place to stay as a good base with a friendly atmosphere and a warm welcome . The breakfasts are superb and set you up for the day ahead and our room was excellent and clean with a comfortable bed to come back to after a day out . As a previous review I never saw a dog or any other animal in the dining room area as I would not think the owner would allow this, I think it must have escaped through .Good value for your money Andy & Teresa from Norfolk

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I stayed in a single room in July 2013 while meeting friends for the races. Although the room was small and I had to share a bathroom, this was a very clean and comfortable place to stay. The owner is very friendly and welcoming, the rooms have lots of thoughtful touches like nice toiletries. The breakfast was superb, in a lovely dining room with lots of choice. Parking is easy near to the hotel with a permit issued by the owners. I saw no sign of the dog in the dining room, so assume they must have noted the comment on another review. I would recommend this place, and will be staying again, although hopefully in an ensuite room next time. The bed was very comfortable. I was worried the room would be too hot, but the window does open fully, and it was cool during the night.

Room Tip: The small single with shared bathroom is ok, but in future I will try to book ahead and get an ensui...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Stayed 4 nights in July 2013 - and experienced a truely friendly atmosphere, a warm and helpful staff and a great, genuine breakfast. Rooms, toilets and baths were clean - every day, beds comfortable and daily service excellent. Perfect distance to city center / attractions, river Ouse and railwaystation - and yet situated in quite surroundings with local shops and cafés, just a bloc away.
Helen and Kevin - and unforgetable Mum - were great hosts, giving more than we dared expecting. A Yorkshire B&B at its best..Highly recommended. We'll love to come back.
Finn + family, Jyllinge, Denmark

Room Tip: Had 2 doublerooms at top floor with shared toilet and bath. Perfect for a Family with 2 teenagers! A...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 4, 2013

After staying at this place for the last couple of years my husband and I were looking forward to a weekend away. However, the owner of the hotel has obtained a dog which she allows into the dining room. If you are happy with this then go ahead and book it. I'm afraid as a dog owner myself I found this to be inappropriate particularly when the lady was carrying him around the room and then serving us our breakfast.

I would love to return to this place as the rooms are nice the location is excellent and the owners are very friendly. But they need to keep the pets out of the room where their customers are eating.

Please address this and keep your animals away from people's food and the kitchen.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Rachel C
5farthings, Owner at Farthings Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Thankyou for your recent review. Firstly I am very disappointed that as a returning guest that you did not feel comfortable enough to raise this with myself during your stay. Our main aim is to ensure that all our guests leave here happy, and we therefore encourage feedback, be it positive or negative, particularly if this could be something that you feel may affect future guests. As you felt so strongly, I am not sure why it has then taken almost 2 months for you to post this review, and it concerns me that you have chosen Trip advisor to do so, when we all know that if taken out of context this can be extremely damaging.
I am not sure at what point in May you stayed with us, but would just like to give a litle background information as to why this situation may have occurred. Annie is a rescue dog that we adopted at the end of April at 41/2 months old. Depending on when you stayed with us, she would have been with us no longer than 4 weeks. Prior to that she had spent most of her life in the RSPCA. She is a puppy, and has had to quickly adapt and learn as to how she must behave in a B&B. As our private lounge is situated directly next to the dining room, she did initially run into the dining room as the door was opened and I had to bring her back out. During a busy breakfast service I may have carried her out in my haste to remove her, and I must apologise to anyone that found this inappropriate. I would certainly not have then served breakfast without adequately washing my hands. It is not a policy of ours for her to be allowed into the dining room during breakfast service, and was something that we had a problem with that has since been resolved.
Anyone who knows The Farthings will know that we have had family pets for the whole duration of our ownership, and they are kept in our private accommodation, and are very rarely seen out on the B&B premises, unless we are with them. We have never compromised on cleanliness, and are regularly commended on the housekeeping of the guest house which I can assure people also extends to the kitchen. We hold a hygiene rating of 5, and are fully aware of the EU and UK regulations with regards to pets on B&B premises, whereby they must be excluded from kitchens when food is being prepared and handled for the public.
At the end of the day we are a family home as well as a business, and introducing a new puppy into the B&B has probably been more complicated logistically than expected, but we have been more than aware of what has been needed to be done, and have implemented things that will hopefully prevent any issues in the future.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Had a pleasant 2 nights stay in the quiet neighbourhood. The ensuite family room gives a warm homely feel, and bathroom was clean with toiletries all in place. A wee bit squeasy between the edge of the double bed and the bathroom door, but not a big problem.
Spoilt with a wide selections for breakfast, which is freshly prepared. So, do allow 10-15 minutes waiting time on a busy morning.
Convenient 10-15 minutes walk to city centre/train station. But, you may want to consider taking a taxi (around GBP5) from the train station with luggages as there is a little slope up just on the right of the train station.
There is a Sainsbury local store just within 10 minutes walk from Farthings on the right of Scarcroft Road.
Host is very friendly and has kindly allowed us to leave our luggage to be picked-up later in the afternoon.
No problem in getting a taxi as there is a free payphone installed at the reception area for guests' convenience.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank diizzee
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Nice B&B in York. Very friendly and helpful owners. Room was fine and comfortable. Easy access to all the sights in York. I would feel comfortable to stay there again. Close to train station, though too far to walk with bags - short cab ride. Big issue for me though was cats - I have allergies and there is a cat and dog in the house.

Room Tip: Beware if you have cat allergy.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends