“Lovely meal”
Review of The Go Down

The Go Down
Reserve with OpenTable
The Go Down is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 920 Restaurants in York
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 19, 2014

In York for a couple of days so looked on TripAdvisor for good restaurants. We weren't disappointed! The meal was well worth the great fixed price of £16.95 for two courses and the service was friendly and attentive. Will be back again when next in the area

1  Thank thefiftysomethings
Write a ReviewReviews (1,344)

Reviewed August 19, 2014

The Go Down is a little gem, we booked for the early bird menu which was £15.95 each for 2 courses. We had a choice of six starters and six mains which for me is about right, I prefer a smaller choice well executed, than a large choice resulting in overstretched chefs and average food.

The front of house staff were welcoming and friendly. The food was beautifully cooked and well presented: a starter of black pudding, rosti and crispy bacon for me, and fried whitebait for him, were lovely. Our mains were stuffed lamb and fish morne . My partner had lemon meringue pie to finish, I had a taste and it was lovely and sharp. A nice way to finish the meal.

1  Thank missdixon
Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

I had never heard of this restaurant until my work friends booked it for a birthday meal, now I am looking forward to going again!!

The staff were lovely and very attentive, the wine was really nice and the food was delicious! We all ate off the set menu which was fantastic value for money and you can decide after if you can squeeze in a pudding too!

Will definitely be taking my friends and family here!!

Reviewed August 16, 2014

Followed ratings advice from websites and found this wonderful restaurant. Do NOT be put off by the unassuming exterior, the moment you "go down" into the restaurant you know it's going to be good. Staff very welcoming, service very prompt and food excellent. 3 course set meal at £18.95 with a really good choice. The warm bread with (garlic)butter was a lovely touch. We ate their 2 nights running and enjoyed our choices both times. Best Onion soup I've ever had, my wife had melon with shrimps and marie rose sauce which again was rated as excellent. Mains were superb and sweets equally good on both visits. Looking forward to our next visit to York.

Reviewed August 12, 2014

Thank you for yet another amazing meal.
Black pudding starter, steak main and tipsy trifle pudding.
Where do you start, the staff are so welcoming, fluffy hot bread with butter and garlic butter while you wait for your food. I'm not sure where they get the garlic butter from but wow delicious.
We always ask for a bottle of water which is free. Thank you again for fast service and fabulous food and a welcoming atmosphere.
I'll be back!