“Relaxed atmosphere with quirky charm”
Review of The Go Down

The Go Down
Reserve with OpenTable
The Go Down is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 909 Restaurants in York
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We tried the set menu but upgraded by having steaks and were very impressed. The food was delicious, well presented and all of the staff were professional, organised and friendly.
I would agree with another reviewer about the tired ceiling tiles and lighting but I would rather go to a place that was relaxed about its appearance and put me at ease than an overpriced run of the mill franchise that was style over substance.
This is the second time I have eaten at this restaurant and I will be going again soon.

1  Thank SFYork

Reviewed December 25, 2013

I have been eating at The Go Down for over 10years with family or friends and I have been organising work Christmas meals here for many years, Penny & Peter and staff are to be commended for their excellent service, and a fabulous Christmas lunch. The food is always served piping hot, and is cooked and presented beautifully,all of our party had turkey with all the trimmings, plenty of roast potatoes and a variety of vegetables, and the Christmas pudding is flamed at your table with lashings of brandy sauce, as well as offering a good choice of other deserts.
House wines are excellent but also have a decent wine list by the glass or bottle.
Already booked for December 2014 but we will be visiting again soon. I would not hesitate to recommend The Go Down.

1  Thank Jill L
Reviewed December 24, 2013

My husband and I recently visited York for a pre Christmas get away. Our hotel recommended this restaurant and I have to say it was excellent. Not knowing York very well, we could have easily missed this place but I'm so glad we didn't. The food was to an excellent standard with very generous portions. The service was also fantastic, you can tell these guys really care about what they do. Would recommend this place to anyone looking for great food with a really cosy and personal atmosphere. Will be returning to York and to Go Down, hopefully very soon! Thank you!

1  Thank becs r
Reviewed December 23, 2013

While I think the salmon on the christmas menu was good, and the other courses as well, I didn't feel it was as outstanding as some have suggested. Very solid and tasty, yes, and certainly did not disappoint.

1  Thank strascino
Reviewed December 20, 2013

We booked this last Christmas so we wern't disappointed, arrived to a friendly welcom, had a welcoming drink before we had our meal. just as last year wonderful service, and a christmas dinner beautifully served, a starter of melon and sorbet of mushroom, followed by turkey or pork with all the trimmings, carrots, sprouts,red cabbage, roast potatoes and cranberry sauce followed by boozy sherry trifle or exmas pudd,wow pudding soaked in brandy at the table and set alight with brandy sauce, followed by coffee. Great meal great service and great value, already booked for next year, thankyou.

1  Thank alwayssue