“Fantastic food, fantastic service, fantastic value!”
Review of The Go Down

The Go Down
Reserve with OpenTable
The Go Down is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #40 of 951 Restaurants in York
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed December 22, 2012

My partner and I went to The Go Down for a special Christmas meal together and I couldn't have asked for more! We were greeted at the door with a warm welcome, our coats were taken and we were shown to our table. This lovely attentive service continued throughout our meal. Now the food... The best meal I have ever had; it was all presented well, tasted gorgeous and overall I could not get over just how good it all was - compliments to the chef indeed! I cannot wait for my next visit there and I would recommend The Go Down to all my friends!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,411)

Reviewed December 15, 2012

I have taken a while to leave my review as nothing I can say could do justice to how fanatic this place is. My friend and I visited York for 3 nights end Nov. We had booked Jamie Oliver's restaurant for the Sunday night 25th but canceled and change here instead. How glad we were we did. The place is only small but very welcoming the waitresses lovely and gave fantastic service. BUT the FOOD oh my!!! The best I've EVERY tasted. I can't find the words to say so I'm not going to try. Just to say if your in York you need to go. The cheif came out to see us when we told them we canceled Jamie Oliver to come here and it was just AMAZING! we will be back next time in York

Reviewed December 15, 2012

Was recomended, on our short break to celebrate our Ruby Wedding.
Fab atmosphere & friendly homely service.
We chose the Christmas menu, which was excllent value. We both had duck salad to start. My hubby had the Turkey & I went or the fish. Followed by superb trifles ( just as it should be), coffee/tea & liqours.

Reviewed December 14, 2012

Just got home from my works Christmas Meal at Go Down. The food was excellent, good value and seved by pleasant attentive staff. I have organised works functions in the past and have had to suffer complaints from some of those who attended them. Not this time! 100% positive feedback from all, you certainly pleased all 25 of us. I would recommend Go Down without reservation, I have dined here in the past with either my wife or another couple and it was great on every occasion which prompted me to book for this large party. Peter and Penelope are great hosts and know how to keep people happy. Faultless, thank you.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

This is a good little independent bistro type restaurant. The food is excellent. I had the venison main and it was cooked to perfection. The menu is restricted, which is a strength. Everything works, is of good quality, presentation is great, staff friendly, and prices realistic and good value. I can not wait for my next visit. This place deserves to succeed!

1  Thank Polo-Bear