“Pretty Good, But Not Great”

The Original Ghost Walk of York
Ranked #7 of 59 Tours in York
More attraction details
Owner description: The Ghostwalk was established before 1973 and was an original creation believed to be the first in the world. We promise a unique opportunity to discover the hidden magic of our ancient City through the real art of storytelling. Tales are drawn from the immense history of York and are told against a backdrop of haunting beauty. We walk in the very footsteps of those who have passed before.
Alexandria, Virginia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Pretty Good, But Not Great”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

While interesting and fun, this walk could be enlivened with more knowledge of the stories behind the individuals said to haunt these York locations. Just telling the bare bones of a ghost's manifestation, and who it was in life, is not enough to satisfy. Also, the walk should meet at a less crowded place than The King's Arms pub, to make organization of and payment for the walk, faster.

Liphook, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“An interesting way to spend an evening in York.”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Having never been on anything like this before, I wanted to try at least one of the ghost walks while I was staying in York. The tour lasted about an hour and 15 minutes and was a good way to get acquainted with the streets of York. The tales told were interesting and there was often an historical link. I would say it was more of an adult tour, which suited my taste. I tried a different ghost tour the following night and it was a huge disappointment after this one!

Ayr, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Interesting Stories”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Having only been on one ghost walk in my life and that not being a very good experience I was apprehensive about going on another. This ghost walk, however, was recommended by the tourist information service as it did not have people jumping out at you. This was great and so we bought tickets. The walk was interesting and gave you a look into the dark and murky past of the city. It is not a very scary walk and as it was summer it was all done in the daylight. The tour leader has an excellent voice for telling stories and he will tell you about where you are staying if you want to know. I enjoyed the experience and did not have to worry about people jumping out at me.

2 Thank Musicmadness2109
Manchester, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Very fun way to spend York evening”
Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner did this for a bit of a laugh! It was the first thing we did so the walk around got us seeing the city and stories and histories we heard paved the way for when we went to see actual places! The walk lasted an hour and half. We had a sunset evening so was perfect! Was a lot of fun and the story teller had a fab story telling voice, although some stories were predictable we just relaxed and enjoyed the experience against the backdrop of an enchanting and very haunted city! For £5 I would definitely recommend :)

Glenrothes, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Spooky Experience”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

Great fun evening with an excellent guide, at one point our dog became quite frantic and jumped up into my arms. The guide said at one site that guilty people suffered from throat problems, I started coughing and the dog sneezing, make of that what you will.
At £5 per adult (£3 concessions) it was really good value for a 90 minute experience.

Visited June 2014