“The City By Night”

The Original Ghost Walk of York
Ranked #7 of 57 Tours in York
More attraction details
Owner description: The Ghostwalk was established before 1973 and was an original creation believed to be the first in the world. We promise a unique opportunity to discover the hidden magic of our ancient City through the real art of storytelling. Tales are drawn from the immense history of York and are told against a backdrop of haunting beauty. We walk in the very footsteps of those who have passed before.
Preston, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“The City By Night”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

Great way to see the city of York at night. Some of the stories are fantastic - all claim to be true however I am a little skeptical about that bit! Still, the storyteller really adds to the atmosphere of the setting and really engages with the audience! Suitable for all and a good way to see some of the areas of York you may miss on your own travels!

Visited August 2013

Thetford, United Kingdom
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Cold Dark Night”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

Our family of four meet with the guide on a cold dark night...perfect for a ghost walk! A large group assembled, our friendly guide made sure that children and our wheelchair user were at the front of the crowd. He quickly built up an atmosphere and our tour began. He delivered a selection of ghost stories and intertwined with local history. We found the tour interesting, got to see parts of the city we may not have otherwise visited and not too scary for younger members of our group. Overall, I would say it's worth doing the tour but do not expect theme park style dramatics.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank wheelieb0y
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Haunted Halloween”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

I had a vague idea of what to expect from this walk but kept an open mind as what to what would happen. Being Halloween I knew it was going to be busy but I did not expect to see a crowd as big as the one waiting for the walk, I would estimate about 150 of us. We were split into two groups to make it more manageable. The walk lasted around 90 minutes and took us around various spots in the centre of York. The stories were suitably spooky but not too scarey that children would be frightened. Our guide was great and very patient, easy to hear too,which is what I worried the most about. One tip: take an umbrella! As the walk continues rain or shine. Take it from me, standing on a dark night soaking wet is no fun!

Worcester
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“A great evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

Having booked this ghost walk through The Little Hide, and having experiences of such things in Edinburgh and Oxford ... Hopes were high.

And we were not disappointed. Have read some reviews here that mistake monotone and silence for pace and nuance ... He was a great storyteller and I'm sure next to taking the money he had earned, some people left a considerable deposit after one or two scary moments.

What was interesting was that he openly blended fact with legend which lead to a more rounded evening that left you doubting your own beliefs ... Very good indeed.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Chrispassey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Brilliant!! Sleepless night...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

As a non-believer I booked this trip for my girlfriend and to find out more about ghosts and the history of York. Our guide, Chris, was fantastic. Coping with nearly 50 people is hard enough, but he did a remarkable job keeping everyone enthralled with his regaling of events. The stories were great and a dark cold night probably helped. 2 hours later and we left for our hotel- The Royal York. After a true story about the hotel my partner had a sleepless night. Am I now a believer, no - but it has opened my eyes to the option to believe!