Lamb & Lion Inn
$134
$115
$174
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Express York(York)(Great Value!)
$89
$186
$162
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Novotel York Centre(York)(Great Value!)
$122
$110
Agoda.com
$127
$114
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
All reviewslambbeer gardenthe pubattic roomhigh petergatesteak and ale pieflights of stairsmarygate car parkinside the city wallstop floorbootham baryork minsterno liftsister hotelreal aleguy fawkesstreet noise
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 9, 2009

Myself and a very close friend stayed at this interesting old Inn which is centrally located in the shadows of the Minster itself. The staff were polite, friendly and extremely helpful with nothing being too much trouble. The room we had was small but very comfortable. The location of the Inn made it really convenient to "pop" back at any time during our stay to refresh or just "chill" in between sightseeing and meals etc. There are several small intimate rooms where breakfast - (which is now served at the Lamb & Lion itself, not as previously reported at the sister hotel Guy Fawkes further down Petergate) or other meals may be taken. We took champagne in the garden at the rear of the Inn on arrival - served just as it should be - with ice & water in the ice-bucket. The staff were knowledgable and helpfu;l about the accomodation and York city itself and we would have no hesitation at all in recommending the Lamb & Lion and would certainly stay there again should we re-visit York in the future

• Stayed: September 2009
Reviewed September 5, 2009

Just got back from my first trip to York and although York itself was a lovely city to visit with lots of things to do our visit was spoiled with the accommodation. We arrived and I have to say the staff behind the bar hadn't got a clue. We had booked a petite double, the only type available, this really was an understatement. If you stay here I hope you don't get room 2. It contained a comfortable bed with just enough room to walk around then a dark passageway led to what I can only describe as the worst bathroom I have ever seen, with a cracked toilet seat and although the base of the shower was clean the metal rim around was discusting full of gunge and rust. As we walked around the room there was a noise of shoes sticking to the floor. Make sure you take slippers, you wouldn't want to put bare feet on it. We had half an old wardrobe stuck to the wall with no door a small chest of drawers with nice cup rings on the top and two small bedside tables, one with the kettle on, being the only place with a socket to boil it on. Lovely big windows with not even a net so that the people opposite could see into your room if the curtains were not closed. Hence if you come in around tea time for a rest before going out for dinner you have to close the daylight out with heavy curtains. You will want to go out for dinner if you sample the breakfast of coloured water for coffee and hot bread that they call toast. Our nights were regularly disturbed with the night porter moving barrels or emptying the bottles into the bin. e.g. 2.30a.m. and 4a.m. We went into the bar at about 10.45p.m. the first night only to be told by the bar person that it was last orders unless of course we were staying there. He had carried our case to the room just a few hours earlier. On checking out we were charged for one too many nights so check your bill. We had had 3 nights for the price of two but they were charging for the three. All in all I couldn't recommend this to my worst enemy.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AnnieBryntegAnglesey
Reviewed August 30, 2009

We stayed here with our friends when visiting Yorkshire. It is a lovely Inn in a perfect location,. The staffs were wonderful and very good food,

Reviewed August 26, 2009

My wife and I stayed in the Lamb & Lion Inn for two nights on 23rd August 2009. We were given the attic room, which seemed nice, although a nightmare to get to as a very steep and narrow staircase has to be negotiated. The bedroom was not that clean however. There were cobwebs hanging from the beams and my wife found pubic hair in the bathroom, yuck! The worst was to come.

The breakfast service on the first morning was appalling. We waited 10 minutes to be seated and then there was no effort to clean the table before we sat down, so there were crumbs and other spills from the previous patrons. The cups and spoons were also dirty. We were then served our toast and coffee. The milk served with the coffee was full of bits. It looked like the jug had not been washed properly. The toast came virtually untoasted, it was virtually still just bread. This was sent back and some more was brought out. As my wife was buttering her toast I noticed purely by chance that there was grey mould growing on the edges of the bread. This was awful, it could have made either of us extremely ill. When our main English breakfast was served, the sausage was, like the toast, virtually uncooked. This again could have led to food poisoning.

We thought we would give the breakfast staff a second chance for the following day although my wife was not that keen, understandably. The second day proved no better. Again, the tables were not wiped down. The server brought our coffee and juice, without a spoon, milk or sugar. We had to wait 10 minutes for these. My wife asked for tomato ketchup with her breakfast, which the server brought out after a 5 minute wait. My wife poured it onto her plate only to find it was Strawberry Sauce! After another wait the ketchup arrived. I then requested a bit more sugar for my coffee that I waited 20 minutes for and then gave up waiting and we left. I would also expect to receive more than ONE piece of bacon. I have never been anywhere else in my life where I have received such a small portion.

During our stay, not once did I see anyone over the age of about 20 and felt that there was no one in charge to manage the place. It seemed like chaos.

So to sum up, if you don't mind a bit of dirt, pubes in the bathroom, getting food poisoning or getting ignored by teenage staff, this is the place for you!!!

Reviewed August 23, 2009

Our friends had stayed at the Lamb and Lion in York last year and told us about it. We had a three night stay and it was really very good. The location of the Inn is second to none and has to be the closest to York Minster in the whole of the city. Our room was very nice. It was immaculately clean and nicely designed too. We overlooked the city gates. The food and drink were both excellent too and we ate in the snug and parlour on two of our three nights. At £69 a night including a good cooked breakfast for the pair of us, we feel as though we have found a little gem in a beautiful city that we will return to again. We would have no hesitation in recommending it to our family and friends.