“tiny bit over priced.”
Review of Lamb & Lion Inn

Lamb & Lion Inn
Ranked #33 of 194 York B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 4, 2012

The pub was very small but has amazing food. The rooms were clean but not quite as nice as I had expected I suppose the price reflects the location it is so close to the york minster you can see it when you stand outside. The staff are very busy as they look after the pub as well as the rooms but they were polite.

Breakfast is served till 10am which is good but I would remind people it is a pub so noise can be an issue.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 22, 2012

First of all I would like to say a big thank you to Amanda who made our stay a memorable one, a true ambassador for the lamb and lion. This place is truly spectacular, full of character and comfortable. The deluxe room was heaven with a lovely spa bath and very private. The snug area, my partner and myself had all to ourselves which made us feel like VIP's. The food and service were first class. Right in the centre of York, right next door to the minster, right next door to all shops and market, more than good value for money and I will certainly be back. What more would you want!!! Don't take any notice of the bad reviews, some people will always be grumpy and hard to please lol

Room Tip: The room can get a bit warm, just turn the radiators to frost and open the skyline windows, sorted!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 18, 2012

we were warmly greeted when we popped in for a roast on Sunday . we were informed that there'd be a wait for food which was fine-the two of us had a bottle of wine to get through. when the food arrived it was stone cold- albeit on a warm plate. I hate complaining to waitresses they work for next to nothing and take flak for the kitchens short comings, however my request to have the food warmed up was greeted with hostility. the food returned with a hotter plate and un-cooked potatoes.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

We booked 2 nights here as a nice break to explore the city. The hotel is in the perfect location close to the walls, shops, restaurants and everything you would want to see.

We arrived and was greated in the hallway by a lovely guy who checked us in and showed us to our room. Our room was small which cannot be helped given the age of the building but very quirky and comfortable.

The first morning I woke up and went for a shower when I couldn't get any hot water I called the number in the room (no phones in rooms) which I presumed would take me to the bar/reception no it took me to central reservations where a snooty not very helpful woman answered and said "your the 4th person that has called me this morning so I'm guessing they have no water" she gave me the number to the hotel when someone finally answered I was told "yeah the boilers broke sorry cant do much about it"

This resulted in a very cold shower - so not the great start to the day.

Breakfast - I have worked in the hospitality industry all my life and I have never visited or worked in a hotel/inn/restaurant with rooms that serves breakfast in such a strange manner.

Cold toast before our drinks
1 glass of orange then a return trip with a glass of apple, another trip with a pot of coffee and yes another trip with a pot of tea! Why can't they all just come on the same tray?

Poached eggs where so watery the toast on my plate and the slice of bacon I stole from my husbands plate where soggy!!

We went out for the day and returned late afternoon and decided to have a drink in the bar. I ordered a pint of lager and a hot chocolate. I was then told I couldn't be served a hot chocolate as it comes from the housekeeping stock?!?!? I said I was staying here to which they then decided after much debate that that would be ok. I was told to sit down and they would bring it over! 20 minutes later!!!!

Before going back upstairs I enquired if the water was fixed. To which I got a reply "no not for another 2 hours I don't think" we returned to the room to find hot water! Thank goodness!

Breakfast the following day was a repeat performance of the first morning but I ordered a boiled egg instead and that it defiantly was - a solid yolk in the middle!

We didn't dine here in the evening, we had originally planned too but given the breakfast experience decided against it!

York is such a lovely please to visit! Just a shame the lamb and lion isn't that much of a great place to stay!

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Stayed here before and would stay again, however avoid room 3 over the constantly banging back door (until very late), the secondhand smoke from the back yard, the paint dropping off the bathroom ceiling, also the hotel needs an update on health and safety as delivered stock blocked the staircase to our room and hallway for over a day. Complaints were not taken too seriously but then we did not make a strenuous effort to spoil our three night break.
Breakfast was very good but can vary dramatically in quality and quantity depending who cooks it, my pet hate was the jugs of warm milk on the tables which when we ate between 9-10am had been on the table by hot radiators since before 7am.
Service and staff are excellent, clean comfortable bed despite room 3's pitfalls.

Room Tip: Best to avoid room three if you want it quiet and smoke free.
Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I had a lovely stay at the Lamb and Lion in October....the room and food lived up to the website but maybe just a few things could be tightened up so it would have been an excellent stay!

The staff seemed friendly but weren't really aware I was staying there and even though I put drinks etc. On my room I felt like i had just popped in for a drink after work.....it would make a huge difference for the staff to know who their paying stakeholders are...

Also a stool propped closed a door whose handle and catch had broken...little things I know but I the prices are quite expensive so you would expect nothing to look a bit run down.

Overall though, I really enjoyed it and would go back!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Judy B
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I would like to start this review with a big thank you to Sarah. Sarah provided a first class service which far outweighed any of the other accomodations we stayed at during our 3week trip which included various locations in the UK , Paris and Singapore. Nothing was too much trouble from going to a sister hotel to get a travel cot to finding a table for the 5 of us for dinner. Thank you.

The accomodation is perfect and ideally located within easy walks to the various sites of York. The rooms are individual we were in a group of 3 couples and a 2 month old baby and each room was different, clean and tidy. One of our group had a room at the front which did have some noise but not much and did not spoli there time there.

The pub itself is great as is the food and cask ales. I cannot fault the Lamb and Lion. If you are visiting York I would highly recommend.

Room Tip: If possible request a room at the back . But dont Let none availability stop you booking .
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family