“horrid Sunday roast”

Lamb & Lion Inn
Ranked #33 of 193 York B&B and Inns
“horrid Sunday roast”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

we were warmly greeted when we popped in for a roast on Sunday . we were informed that there'd be a wait for food which was fine-the two of us had a bottle of wine to get through. when the food arrived it was stone cold- albeit on a warm plate. I hate complaining to waitresses they work for next to nothing and take flak for the kitchens short comings, however my request to have the food warmed up was greeted with hostility. the food returned with a hotter plate and un-cooked potatoes.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Llandudno, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

We booked 2 nights here as a nice break to explore the city. The hotel is in the perfect location close to the walls, shops, restaurants and everything you would want to see.

We arrived and was greated in the hallway by a lovely guy who checked us in and showed us to our room. Our room was small which cannot be helped given the age of the building but very quirky and comfortable.

The first morning I woke up and went for a shower when I couldn't get any hot water I called the number in the room (no phones in rooms) which I presumed would take me to the bar/reception no it took me to central reservations where a snooty not very helpful woman answered and said "your the 4th person that has called me this morning so I'm guessing they have no water" she gave me the number to the hotel when someone finally answered I was told "yeah the boilers broke sorry cant do much about it"

This resulted in a very cold shower - so not the great start to the day.

Breakfast - I have worked in the hospitality industry all my life and I have never visited or worked in a hotel/inn/restaurant with rooms that serves breakfast in such a strange manner.

Cold toast before our drinks
1 glass of orange then a return trip with a glass of apple, another trip with a pot of coffee and yes another trip with a pot of tea! Why can't they all just come on the same tray?

Poached eggs where so watery the toast on my plate and the slice of bacon I stole from my husbands plate where soggy!!

We went out for the day and returned late afternoon and decided to have a drink in the bar. I ordered a pint of lager and a hot chocolate. I was then told I couldn't be served a hot chocolate as it comes from the housekeeping stock?!?!? I said I was staying here to which they then decided after much debate that that would be ok. I was told to sit down and they would bring it over! 20 minutes later!!!!

Before going back upstairs I enquired if the water was fixed. To which I got a reply "no not for another 2 hours I don't think" we returned to the room to find hot water! Thank goodness!

Breakfast the following day was a repeat performance of the first morning but I ordered a boiled egg instead and that it defiantly was - a solid yolk in the middle!

We didn't dine here in the evening, we had originally planned too but given the breakfast experience decided against it!

York is such a lovely please to visit! Just a shame the lamb and lion isn't that much of a great place to stay!

• Stayed November 2012
Hampshire
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Stayed here before and would stay again, however avoid room 3 over the constantly banging back door (until very late), the secondhand smoke from the back yard, the paint dropping off the bathroom ceiling, also the hotel needs an update on health and safety as delivered stock blocked the staircase to our room and hallway for over a day. Complaints were not taken too seriously but then we did not make a strenuous effort to spoil our three night break.
Breakfast was very good but can vary dramatically in quality and quantity depending who cooks it, my pet hate was the jugs of warm milk on the tables which when we ate between 9-10am had been on the table by hot radiators since before 7am.
Service and staff are excellent, clean comfortable bed despite room 3's pitfalls.

Room Tip: Best to avoid room three if you want it quiet and smoke free.
Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I had a lovely stay at the Lamb and Lion in October....the room and food lived up to the website but maybe just a few things could be tightened up so it would have been an excellent stay!

The staff seemed friendly but weren't really aware I was staying there and even though I put drinks etc. On my room I felt like i had just popped in for a drink after work.....it would make a huge difference for the staff to know who their paying stakeholders are...

Also a stool propped closed a door whose handle and catch had broken...little things I know but I the prices are quite expensive so you would expect nothing to look a bit run down.

Overall though, I really enjoyed it and would go back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Judy B
Queensland
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I would like to start this review with a big thank you to Sarah. Sarah provided a first class service which far outweighed any of the other accomodations we stayed at during our 3week trip which included various locations in the UK , Paris and Singapore. Nothing was too much trouble from going to a sister hotel to get a travel cot to finding a table for the 5 of us for dinner. Thank you.

The accomodation is perfect and ideally located within easy walks to the various sites of York. The rooms are individual we were in a group of 3 couples and a 2 month old baby and each room was different, clean and tidy. One of our group had a room at the front which did have some noise but not much and did not spoli there time there.

The pub itself is great as is the food and cask ales. I cannot fault the Lamb and Lion. If you are visiting York I would highly recommend.

Room Tip: If possible request a room at the back . But dont Let none availability stop you booking .
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Stoke-on-Trent, England
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We've enjoyed our 2 night stay at the Lamb & Lion which is perfectly located to enjoy a visit to York. We enjoyed the food, breakfast and beer which we consider is of superior standard to most pubs. Our executive double was on the small side but acceptable considering the age and type of building. The pub is right next to the city wall and has character and quirkyness which we enjoyed. If you want a large modern room this is not the place for you.
Our only negative point is the noise. We were in room 5 on the second floor facing the street but our first night was disturbed due to traffic noise and people talking on the street until 3am...mostly drunks shouting and arguing. We purchased ear plugs for the second night which worked perfectly and blocked out any traffic noise...the weather was wet and cold the second the night so less people were on the street. I would imagine during the summer it would be very noisy until the early hours.
We paid £86 per night (Thur-Fri) which is on the high side considering the overall experience. The rooms are looking like they need a touch up and there's signs of wear and tear on fixtures and fittings. A little more attention to detail is required to bring the pub back up to a 4 star rating but overall we still enjoyed our stay because we wanted a place with character, a great location, real ale and good food.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 443bobs
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Our overall experience with the Lamb and Lion was generally very good. Our room was clean and comfy and larger than expected, as was the ensuite. However, because our windows looked over the beer garden we had to keep the curtains drawn in both the ensuite and our room for privacy.
We stayed on a Saturday and Sunday night and were expecting it to be noisy, but they must have closed the beer garden at a reasonable time, as when we arrived back from dinner it was quiet.
The location was perfect, with access to just about everything you could want to see and do right outside the door. The trade off for this was that you had to park a 10 minute walk away, but it was worth it.
The only negatives we have are, that we feel it is slightly overpriced...... and that there were two incidents where we made a request to a staff member, but they were never carried out.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple