The Crescent Guest House
$233
$142
  • Pool
York Marriott Hotel(York)(Great Value!)
$80
Marriott Hotels
  • Pool
Park Inn by Radisson York(York)(Great Value!)
$189
$112
$107
  • Room Service
$145
All reviewsparking permitsloping ceilingtop floorfull english breakfastroom was cleaniron and boardminute walkstayed here for nightstea and coffee making facilitieslast minute bookinggave us a mapclose to city centretrain stationgood nights sleepbit datedyork minstermini break
Reviewed October 13, 2011

I'm going to make this as short as I can. Myself and my partner stayed here for a few nights as a little get away, the rooms did not look like those that where on the website, the finish in room was shabby for what we had to pay per night (£60) raised floor boards that where dangerous, there was another guests pair of pants and bra in the draw that made me feel sick! A broken lamp and tv in a position so bad that you couldn't see it from the bed unless you wanted a stiff neck.

Beds where uncomfortable, pillows hard. Shower didn't work properly it was either way too hot or too cold!

Breakfast was poor, small, not cooked very well and I was never asked how I wanted my eggs.

We where going to stay three nights but could only manage two and got a refund for the third night. The room was very noisy being on the main road as windows are not good enough to keep the noise out. It was freezing in the morning as no heating was put on. It is October now!!!

Staff seemed friendly and rooms where clean. Bathroom interior was also attractive.

This guest house made our stay miserable and I usually love York.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Tammygreet
Reviewed October 6, 2011

If you are after a clonvenient, clean and good-value B&B in York then choose The Crescent Guese House: our room was very clean, the beds were very comfortable and breakfast was lovely and cooked to order and all the staff were great.

It really is only a 10-minute walk into the City from The Crescent Guest House and even after a whole day traipsing round York in tropical temperatures (it was October yet it was over 29 degrees) we happily carried our shopping back at the end of the day and were 'there' before we knew it.

The road is quite noisy and because it was so hot (day and night) when we stayed, we had to have the windows open as far as they would go and we did find the traffic in the wee small hours rather noisy: the road is very busy.

My only suggestion is that the owners of The Crescent Guest House get some proper showers installed since I think the days of a shower being run from a mixer-tap off the bath taps are long gone. I really hated having to fiddle with the taps and get alternative cold and scalding water while I tried to have a shower. Just install a proper shower and then I'd give this place top marks. Otherwise, the bathroom was spotlessly clean and a good size. The mixer-tap shower arrangement did let it down though.

I would definitely stay there again but I would ask to have a room where the shower wasn't run off the bath taps.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 2, 2011

Have just spent a couple of days at the Crescent Guest House with my wife. The location could not be better, a lovely 5 minute stroll to Bootham Bar. The staff were very friendly and accommodating, sorting an early breakfast for us and car parking permits without any fuss at all. The breakfast was excellent, well presented with good service. The rooms were clean and comfortable with thick clean towels supplied. A good base in a great city.

Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2011

Just came back from a weekend at the Crescent Guest house, situated on Bootham. A 5-10 minute stroll from the Minster makes this a perfect location for anyone wishing to spend the weekend seeing what York has to offer.
We stayed in a bedroom looking out onto Bootham (the main road). If the window is open, you can hear the traffic, but keep it shut and you'll enjoy a peaceful nights sleep.
The room was great for what we needed it for. Clean, modern decor. Had a hairdryer, plenty of wardrobe space, alarm, flat screen TV on the wall. The bed was what I would call average and the pillows weren't great.
The bathroom came with the usual toilet, shower and sink. Possible a bit on the small side, having to position yourself when coming out of the bathroom, but other than that it was great.
Checking in was easy (just go into the shop next door as advised if no one is answering the bell), as it only took a few minutes.
Got a breakfast included in the price (which was very reasonable). The choice included a good selection of cereals, full english, juice etc. Only possible situation is that it is a tiny bit cramped in the dining room, so you may get someone a bit to close for comfort when you are eating your Corn Flakes (but I wouldn't call this an issue).
We got a few early Christmas presents when we were in York and didn't fancy carting them around all day (as we had a mid afternoon train and check out was 10 am), so it was greatly appreciated when the Crescent said we could leave the bags and collect them later.
Other things to note; they do offer you a parking permit if you have a car (can't comment where you park as we got the train), clean interior of the building (can only comment on up to the first floor as we didn't go any further).
Overall, an excellent stay, for a very reasonable price in a great location to visit a fantastic city. Give it a go!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2011

If you just need a decent place to sleep for night, the Crescent Guest House is suitable for most. As mentioned by others, the location is great, not too far from the city walls. It is located on a fairly busy street, but we slept soundly and comfortably. The layout is quirky (and a bit of a maze if you stay on the top floor), and it was clean.

Our only complaint was that the breakfast and coffee was what you would expect from a greasy diner at a rest stop along a highway (especially compared to the Heworth Guest House, which was far superior). We abruptly fled the dining room to Costa's for a more decent cup of caffeine.

Here's an interesting tip: Just a block behind the Crescent Guest House is the York footy (soccer) stadium. Tickets are cheap and the old wooden stadium provides a fantastic atmosphere--every bit as enjoyable as the Man City vs. Chelsea game I went to in Manchester...and much cheaper. Buy yourself a scarf or jersey at the team store outside the stadium and throw your support behind the local lads! Pound for pound its an incredibly satisfying and authentic experience and more than what you get from some of the tacky tourist attractions offered in York. Go to http://www.yorkcityfootballclub.co.uk/ to check the schedule.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple