“Consistently good food”

Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I have visited Saffron Desi a number of times over the years. I have always found the food to be excellent. This time I went with a large group of friends and everyone was happy with their meal. They coped with the size of the group well and the service was friendly. I think the dal is the best I have tasted.

If you like North Indian/Pakistani food then this is the place to go in York.

Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Visited the restaurant with my wife on a quiet Tuesday evening. The bar man greeted us and took us to our table, he gave us menus but then disappeared. I honestly kid you not there was no waiters to see for about 15 minutes. I had to literally shout across the restaurant saying excuse me and wave my hands like a maniac to get some attention. Some scruffy waiter with his shirt completely hanging out walked over, I asked if we could order some drinks he replied 'yeah what' I said two cokes. This probably gives you an idea of how the rest of my night went. About 20 minutes on, still no waiters to been, I had to again peer round the other side where they were all sat to get someone to take our order. Another scruffy waiter came over took our order (I was so fed up I skipped appetisers and ordered a very basic curry and rice. I wanted to eat and get out of there). Food was average but even after finishing the didn't clear the table I had to get up and walk around to the till with my wife where some guy (assuming the manager) was just chilling out. Didn't say thank you didn't ask how it was didn't ask anything, I didn't force anything either I paid and left. Unfortunately I won't be visiting again, even if it was the last indian in york. I think the chef was the only one who knew what he was doing.

1  Thank Jinacole
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We eat here weekly as a family of three and are never disappointed. We always have a great meal, and its great value for money. The staff are very welcoming, with attentive but discrete service, no matter how busy the restaurant is, the food and the service are consistently good, we love this restaurant, and it attracts a great mix of tourists, race goers and locals like ourselves.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We go out in York every weekend and found Saffron Desi about 5 years ago. We have been dining there on a Saturday night ever since. I have never been disappointed with a meal and the sevice has always been 1st class. I think we have just about worked our way through the extensive menu and i can honestly say i have never been disappointed. I have read some of the disappointed reviews and would like to say i think the staff cope very well on Race meeting nights considering the high volume of customers. Well done Saffron Deli.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Good indian fare, some unusual specials. Would have appreciated more info on the spicyness of different dishes, though - one of our young children ordered a very hot dish by mistake, but the waiter did not check if we were aware of this fact.