“Filthy Dirty Disgusting”

Ranked #177 of 192 York B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Filthy Dirty Disgusting”
Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

I stayed for one night whilst working in York.
As soon as I walked in I knew I was in for a shock. The music was on full blast and the bloke behind the bar was clearly off his face. He introduced himself to me as Shaun.
Shaun could barely string a sentence together..
Once I got to my room I was met with a complete filth pit.
There are cobwebs all over the ceiling, thick layers of dust over everything, the toilet seat has yellow urine stains, the toilet pan has faeces splattered all over it, the sink has hair stuck to it, the tiles on the wall are grimey..
I could go on.

I will not be eating breakfast here, if they can't clean a toilet I dread to think what the kitchen is like.

NEVER AGAIN will I stay here.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Travellingassessor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 12, 2014

This used to be a nice friendly pub in York.My not now.Came in for a quiet post work drink with friends.The landlord and his cronies were all very drunk noisy,and to be honest quite scary.They were continuously putting loud music ,which the boss had turned up to drown any other form of communication,and he even leapt up in front of us when seated,and actually turned up the speakers over our head!!!The lady behind the bar was morose surly,and irritated at having to serve a customer.She had a face like a slapped anatomical part as we say in Yorkshire.The pub is in a fine position,and should be able to respect and welcome customers.Hope the brewery read tripadvisor.Dont waste you money or time

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank shakirayork

Travelers are raving about these York hotels

Oldham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

We came as a couple on valentines day so we paid more than what you would on a mormal night. To start with the reviews on here saying its filthy etc were a load of rubbush from what we could tell. We were in the large family room on the top floor, it was lovely with all the beams and old characteristics, it was clean & tidy & had tea/coffee making facilities a tv & a basic shower & toilet. The beds were a bit uncomfortable but it was bearable. The landlord (Terry) was very welcoming & friendly. We got up too late for breakfast so I cant comment on that. It is also literally 10 mins walk to the town centre. All in all we a fantastic time.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MrsSpeaky11
Gateshead, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I stayed here with 6 of my friends for my 21+9 birthday weekend. The staff were fantastic, made us feel at home and made sure I had fab pre birthday drinks before we hit the town. Hoping to return later on in the year

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 14, 2014

myself & partner stayed at the old grey mare for a two night break over new year (30th & 31st)13.on arrival the barman showed us to our room,we had to walk through the breakfast room that is now an indian during the day & night times.our room was dated but clean,the shower wasn't up to much so its was a quick dip in/out no heating in the bathroom which was really cold!! we thought we,d be able to get a bar meal at night but ended up eating in the indian as that's all there was,food really nice & price good too> new years eve the atmosphere in the pub its self was good (play your cards right/disco ect) for the price we paid it was good value for money. I must say though there was two couple,s in which this must be there local did nothing but stare at us best part of the evening which made me feel uncomforty so was in bed for 1230!!! the staff/owner of the grey mare work hard to keep this pub going,as we all no pubs are dying so do try old grey mare for the price otherwise pay in the hundred,s for accomadation.cheap & cheerfull, would stay again if in York for night or two :-)

Room Tip: ask for room at the back of pub...not on front side to road
1 Thank manchester34
Oldham, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Have read the reviews and all I can say is don't be put off, if its a stay, just for a couple of nights then try it. We have been twice to stay over for The Festival of Angels weekend and have just returned after having a great time once more. Terry and the staff are all helpful and friendly, rooms are ok warm and clean, we have never had a problem with the shower and for £60 what do people want. The Indian restaurant opens in the evening and you cannot fault the food, a good menu, they also do English dishes. The pup is a Samuel Smiths and serves a good pint.I say give it a go 10 mins walk to centre or take the river walk which takes a little longer.

Room Tip: Have stayed in rooms 9 & 3, rooms at the front we think are the best.
1 Thank PETER P
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 7, 2013

There were 4 of us who stayed in 2 rooms, there was a hole in the window frame in room 8 so the room was freezing and the bathroom was incredibly grotty in both rooms (shower head in room 7 was not usable). On the plus side the proprietor was brilliant and made us feel really welcome and is not too bad for the price we paid. The beds were very clean