“Not as bad as expected”
Review of Old Grey Mare

and 1 more site!
Old Grey Mare
Ranked #178 of 194 York B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Being quite fussy, after reading the reviews I was dreading... and anxious. Once we got there, I was quite relieved. It is a pub inn cheap accommodation, so don't expect the Hilton! We booked 2 rooms, the one with 5 beds and a family room, Beds and bathroom were clean. It is true that it needs redecorating and probably could do with new curtains, bla bla bla. But hey, if you want to stay for one night only as we did, didn't bother much. The shower was very poor too. For a night out is fine, but I wouldn't go with kids or for more than this. Staff was pleasant and helpful but couldn't see anybody to greet us when we left...

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Old Grey Mare

Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed in this 'hotel' last week. We only paid £100 and probably it's a case of you get what you pay for. We stayed in the terraced house across the road from the pub, two bedrooms, lounge, kitchen and shower room. It was pretty grubby in the kitchen, but the bathroom was ok and the beds were clean. The oven was full of crumbs, but as we only stayed one night it didn't bother us. It's such a shame as it could be great if it had a very thorough clean and the carpets were cleaned. That said, it took us 15 mins to walk into York and we arrived very close to the Minster. Great position and had free parking. we had breakfast over the road and the staff were very pleasant. We had crumpets, toast, yogurts, fruit, juice, ham, cheese tea and coffee. The children enjoyed it, but probably won't stay again.

Room Tip: The cottage/ house was ok- just take some Flash!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Booked for i night after a day out with the girls at the races. Having read the reviews on here we expected the worst. We were quire relieved to find clean beds and bathrooms and that's all we needed - a crash pad for the night. The hotel is old and a bit shabby and could do with a refurb but it suited our purposes. Breakfast was basic but OK and there was no smell of curry. If you're going for a special occasion or a longer stay forget it but if you want a crash pad for the night that's a short taxi ride from the centre then it's fine. Our taxi for 5 cost £15!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 24, 2013

The reviews on this site about this hotel are accurate, i wish i had paid the extra to stay in a premier inn or travel lodge. I stayed one night and couldn't wait to leave, everything was filthy.
Even the pub was dirty. I was tempted to eat in the restaurant until i saw the kitchen staff. I'm so glad i didnt cause at breakfast in the morning the brown bread was mouldy, if this is what they show guests, could you imagine what they cover up..There's no point repeating what's in the other reviews, just dont stay here, avoid it

Room Tip: Choose a room in a different hotel, far away from this one
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Shabby and very dirty. The 'so called manager' is so rude and needs to be taught manner when dealing with guests. The whole place is worse then a rats hole. Horrible, horrible place would not recommend to anybody

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 21, 2013

An annex room which had 5 beds was our 'accommodation' for the whole weekend fri-sun... Actually the 5 of us had to sleep in 3 beds due to one bed which I can only describe as having mould growing on it and another being broken in half! On informing management they did not want to know!

I wouldn't dare eat breakfast in the morning and considering there was 18 of us on a hen weekend I think the hotel gained financially as none of us dared to eat in there. I'd dread to think what was growing in the kitchen after seeing the beds!

Would upload pictures from phone if I could, however I'm sure when I write to Yorkshire council and submit my pictures then that will be suffice enough!

This place should be shut down!
Appalling!!!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Loopylew88
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

18 of us stayed here for my nieces hen weekend. I have never saw so much filth in all my life. Dirty stained bedding,filthy pee stained mattresses, cobwebs, filthy curtains. The carpets were so dirty they were black & shiny.
One of the beds wasn't even a bed it was 2 mattresses on top of each other !!
I wouldnt even score this dirty stinking place a 1...
When trying to speak to the manager to complain he didn't want to know, he wouldnt even come and look to see what we were complaining about !!
If this hasn't put you off then i hope you like the smell of curry & dirty drains wafting into your room.
A bit of advice DO NOT BOOK to stay here !!

• Stayed: August 2013