“So much to choose from!”

Ambiente Tapas Goodramgate
Ranked #97 of 955 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Style: relaxed, quaint, cosy restaurant with a small, busy bar, all set in an eighteenth-century listed building in the heart of York Size: 46 covers, plus small bar Good for: couples, families, special occasions, casual lunch, formal dinner, access to York Minster, York walls, York Theatre Royal and Dean Court Hotel
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Spent a lovely evening here with my husband on Friday..the main restaurant was full so we opted to sit in the bar area which had a great bubbly chatty atmosphere..
The menu is superb with a great variety of choice ....we opted for warm bread and dipping oils and olives to start with which was delicious and then a number of really yummy mains to follow......such different flavours....
Service was really great..unobtrusive, swift and friendly
A great experience with a wonderful ambience..highly recommend dinner here!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,852)

Reviewed March 16, 2013

I booked this restaurant a week before we visited York, when we arrived at 8.30 pm we were taken into the bar area and were not shown to a table until 9.15 pm!! The table was a small table where both of us faced a wall, behind us approx 5m's away was the toilet, great start. After requesting a move we were taken upstairs to find there were a number of empty tables but yet it had taken 45 mins to show us to a table!! We ordered the seafood tapas to start, the food didn't arrive until 9.30pm, an hour after we had booked and to say we were disappointed was an understatement. Other than a few pieces of prawn, anchovies and cod balls the rest was large pieces of bread that were so soggy, drenched in balsamic vinegar, not pleasant at all. Next we ordered a vegetarian tapas and again we faced disappointment, the dishes were barely warm, overcooked and bland, there was not enough and upon leaving we were still hungry. The service was appalling, the staff less than attentive and for what you get the food is overpriced. Do not, I repeat do not be tempted to go there, the area has a number of enticing Italian restaurants that offer far more than this place, don't be tempted!!

3  Thank gyphoops
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My partner and I decided to visit this restaurant, having had a lovely experience at the Ambiente Restaurant in Leeds, but were extremely disappointed.

The restaurant was not busy (only four other customers), and yet it took 90 minutes for our tapas dishes to arrive. When they did, they were of very poor quality, with some of the food overcooked, and some of it raw. Our waiter was disinterested at best.

As the 'meal' took so long, our entire afternoon was spoiled. I certainly won't be returning.

2  Thank LittleRedPheasant
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Visited here on the 13th March. We have travelled a lot in Spain and we do enjoy Tapas Restaurants. This York based Tapas Restaurant could be in Merida, Valladolid,caceres or any of the traditional cities in Spain. The setting is authentic, the service is brilliant and the Tapas is frankly some of the best we have tasted. They do have an upstairs seating area for eating, but we stayed downstairs in what can be described as a traditional Tapas eating area. They have what you could call a tasting menu which is a great selection. The whole meal and the experience is a must if you love this style of food. If you not tried it, then this is the place to visit.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I rang three times and emailed (over the course of three weeks) to try and book a large group table and despite speaking to the manager and three separate members of staff who all promised they would get back to me, send a menu & get us sorted no one ever got back to me. I was very disappointed with this service and would have appreciated someone at least letting me know if they did not want to book a large group in. Instead they said it should be fine and took all my contact details (three times!) and never got back in touch. I reluctantly gave up, contacted another restaurant who got back to me within 24 hrs and happily booked us in.

2  Thank j_a_t186377