“What a little Gem!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Got a photo?
Add it.
Indochine
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese, Spanish, Thai
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Romantic, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout
Sheffield
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What a little Gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2009

I haven't found a restaurant quite like this anywhere else and I eat in London and Manchester regularly. The range of dishes, representing the best from most South East Asian countries, is quite staggering and on the two occasions I have been in York and eaten here, I have never been disappointed. On my first visit, I wasn't too sure how to order, although there are some helpful suggestions on the back of the menu! As well as many small dishes, there are bento boxed and noodles dishes, but the small dishes are a delight and you should plan to order 6 to 8 if you go as a couple, relax and just eat them as they arrive..........freshly cooked and hot! I really can't praise this place enough and jusy wish it was a national chain so we could have one in my home town!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Richi777

Queenstown, New Zealand
“Fantastic variety of food and great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2009

This is a great restaurant, I have been a number of times and never been disappointed. They also do take-out, which is great if you are a local.

What makes this restaurant unique is south-east Asian food tapas style, so you can try lots of dishes in one meal. They do Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Indonesian, Thai, Vietnamese and Singaporean food, each with a little map next to each dish so you have an idea of the style of food.

The service is generally very friendly and attentive and they also have a nice variety of beers.

3 Thank PJ_York
York
“Fabulous Restaurant - dont go!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2009

Yes I did say don't go! This is because I feel I want to keep this one to us Yorkies!!! I don't want masses of touroids going there so that I can't get a table and have a fantastic meal there at at really reasonable price. This is my favourite restaurant in York, I have eaten there around 8 times now (nearly 9!) and keep going back. It is hectic at weekends but then again the best places in York are. The best bet if you can is to go mid week. The service is attentive but not claustrophobic or feeling like they want their table back! The food is lovely, and me and my fella ate there with drinks (alcoholic) for £43!! Bargain!!!!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank darraugh
London, United Kingdom
“dont go on a saturday”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2009

dont go on a saturday night as it was full and they just could cope with the amount of people they had in, we were upstairs and it was cramped and very noisy. We were a party of 4. We ordered starters first, my husbands came, then 5 minutes later the next came then 5 minutes later another one came, and then after a further 5 minutes the last arrived, we had gone out as a group so we expected to eat as a group, mine was under cooked, so we decided to call it a day as it was very clear they could not cope.

Maybe going on a weekday would be better

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Favourite Chinese in York”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2009

I've only lived in York a few months and have been checking out quite a few restaurants. I heard good things about the big Maxis chinese on the outskirts and was at first quite pleased with it, but subsequent visits left me unimpressed with service, prices and quality of food.

We booked a table for four at Indochine for New Years Eve, to try somewhere new. First impressions were that service was good and the menu was interesting and varied.

As the night went on, I was even more impressed with the service which was friendly and when the food started arriving, I knew I wouldn't be going back to Maxis in a hurry.

The dishes were very well prepared and presented. A gripe of mine is the quality of meat some restaurants serve and everything tasted fresh and good here.

Overall I'd agree with the other reviews that this is one of the best restaurants in York for oriental food.

I'll try write an update when I go back next and see if the standards stay as high.

1 Thank BrightBlue