“Very Spicy!”

Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I visited Red Chilli with a large group of Chinese students; I couldn't believe how busy it was but the service was exemplary: very attentive, speedy and friendly. The food was delicious, though some dishes were too spicy for me [and I like spicy food]. I don't see this as a complaint - the restaurant offers authentic Sichuan dishes which are renowned for their spiciness - it was an experience! I loved the food overall and would definitely visit again - next time in a smaller party so that I can check beforehand how spicy the dishes will be!

Reviewed May 30, 2013

it has been a while since we visited this restaurant. OMG what has happened? The food has always been authentic in that it offers obscure parts of an animal (by western tastes) but the food we ordered was a disgrace. Lacking in any flavour and when it was it was overloaded with dried chillis. The credit card machine was not working and they were waiting for the phone company to repair and were only accepting cash. Call me sceptical but...... Staff were attentive not rushed off their feet but service still slow. Would not recommend! And it is rather pricey!

Reviewed May 21, 2013

The food was amazing, choice & flavour, service was great too.

I would recommend the Gung Bao Chili chicken with peanuts!!!

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Have eaten many times at Red Chilli since it opened in York and the majority of the time it is good, our last experience was not the case so we have not visited for over a year now until Monday evening. I am very pleased we gave it another go.
The crispy chilli chicken was devine but the sliced duck with soft noodles was a winner, so so good. We ordered egg fried rice, prawn crackers, a large coke and glass of wine all only £30.
Staff were polite and generally offered good service.
We will return in the near future.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Probably the worst Chinese meal we have ever attempted to eat. While the restaurant surroundings were impressive it all fell apart rapidly when the food arrived! The quality of the meat in the dishes was very poor. The pork in one soup starter was grey and tasteless. The sweet and sour seafood soup contained very little seafood and lots of vegetables. Worse was to follow when my partner opened the lid of the seafood casserole. Apart for being heavily over spiced the chicken was rubbery as was the seafood and she found it just impossible to eat. When the waiter became aware we did not want to continue with the meal he made a cursory enquiry about why, wondering if we did not like seafood? We had the impression we were not the first customers to find difficulty with the food. No attempt was made to understand our concern and we were happy to abandon our meal.
Menu prices were not cheap and it was a very disappointing outcome for such an important tourist destination as York. We will not return. Other Chinese restaurants in York have been of a good standard.