Bettys Cafe Tea Rooms - Stonegate
Cuisines: Delicatessen, British, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 1, 2013

For the past many years we have made a visit to the UK and always include York, even if just for a day. Last year's visit was just a day trip from London, so we did not have the opportunity to visit Betty's. But this year we stayed our customary two days. The queue at the entrance can seem discouraging, but it moves quickly. Most people want to dine on the main level, but we have always accepted the invitation to be seated more quickly by going downstairs. The room has gorgeous wood panelling. We had the full afternoon tea at £18 per person. Some reviewers say Betty's is too expensive, but I don't think so. Of course there are cheaper teas around, but the ambience here is lovely. The staff have always been gracious. We have never been in York when the first floor Belmont Room is open for tea. This art deco room is beautiful and was inspired by the original Queen Mary ocean liner. A few years ago our waiter told us about the room and took us up so we could see it. I look forward to being able to take tea in those evocative surroundings some day.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,030)

Reviewed June 24, 2013

What is the big deal about Betty's? I've had better afternoon tea in places that don't specialise in afternoon tea, but Betty's is supposed to be the mother of all afternoon teas and so I was expecting big things!

Sadly I was disappointed. The main Betty's had a massive queue (as it always seems to, no matter what time of day) so we went to this one on Stonegate and got a table straight away. On entering the dining room I immediately noticed how hot and stuffy it was, and also that it smelled strange - very hard to describe but it smelled like baked cat hair or baked dog hair, mixed with salmon. I wondered if that was because one of the specials was a salmon dish...

We got afternoon tea as you may have guessed, but it was of poor quality. The sandwiches were bog standard, as were the cakes and tea. The scones weren't the best either, and eating this with that weird smell and stuffy air was not the best experience of my life. The staff were fine; if anything a bit harassed and looked uncomfortable in their smart uniforms in that hot room. I'd say it was probably a bit overpriced for what it was, and no I won't waste my time going back there again, or to the main one on the Square.

Go somewhere else. Go to Manion's!

Reviewed June 23, 2013

There was a que when we arrived at about 11 but I expected that as there always is. The que went down quickly and was well managed. We had breakfast which was delicious. Our food did get delayed which was a bit of a let down but the waitress was very pleasant and attentive which made up for it. In fact all the staff dealing with us were lovely. Will definitely return.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Went for tea and cakes. Had to queue but it didn't take too long. Cakes are lovely and good selection. Very friendly and efficient staff.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Brilliant, we had to cue for a table, but was well worth it, it was like stepping back in time, the waitresses had long black skirts, high neck blouses, white starched aprons and little caps. a cream tea was served on a cake stand, with scones, and clotted cream, an assortment of sandwiches and pots of tea per person, fantastic, the place is heaving, and unless you get there when they open, you will have to cue, but its worth it, a full English high tea is served with an assortment of sandwiches, cream and plain cakes, or scones, or pastries.

They also serve hot food, but we only wanted a snack lunch.

There is a shop from where you can purchase bread and cakes, some standard cakes, some unique to Bettys, the mouse cakes were fantastic, as were the Chelsea buns, Victoria Sandwich, and loads more we didn't get to try, We will be going back again soon, I love Bettys, its the third time I have visited and makes my trip to York, you can imagine ladies in flapper dresses, fur coats, and cloche hats with pearls and cigarette holders sitting at the tables, partaking in afternoon tea, its a step back in time.

I hope Betty's goes on for ever.