“Best of Betty's for tradition, a real treat!”

Bettys Cafe Tea Rooms - Stonegate
Ranked #2 of 27 Dessert in York
Cuisines: Delicatessen, British, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I visit York regularly and always come to Little Betty's for tea! I wouldn't go anywhere else! I prefer Little Betty's on Stonegate to the main Betty's on St Helen's Square partly because it has a more traditional feel. The service is fabulous. There's 3 real roaring fires which are lovely on a winter's day. We had breakfast rostis on this visit, a pot of tea and granary toast. It was quite dear but to be honest you don't come to Betty's for a cheap cuppa but for the treat. Exquisite and highly recommended.

There are newer reviews for Bettys Cafe Tea Rooms - Stonegate

Reviewed January 23, 2013

The first time me and my girlfriend visited York we didn't do any research and stumbled on this place by accident. As you enter it appears at first to be a little coffee shop and you wonder where the cafe is. As you venture further into the shop you feel like you are in someone's home. The cafe is up some stairs like you would expect to find leading to a bedroom.

We were greeted by a waitress dressed in old school waitress style clothes. We were quickly seated and well attended to. I ordered the bacon and gruyere croissant and it was lovely. The fresh orange juice was almost addictive. I loved the cafetiere coffee as well. I almost made the mistake of not trying the desert trolley but fortunately my girlfriend wanted something sweet. They actually have a desert trolley they bring to the table and they talk you through all the different options.

My only small critique would be that they don't have a huge range on the menu but what they do have is excellent. On subsequent visits I have discovered the breakfast rosti which I could happily eat every breakfast.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Love what is termed as Little Betty's in York (not the big glass-fronted sister restaurant). Although it's almost inevitable you have to queue for a while, it's worth the wait - their bacon & scrambled egg toasted muffin is divine - and I don't normally eat scrambled eggs! Excellent service, variety of food and ambience. Can't wait until next time.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Bettys is incredibly expensive and terribly over rated. Not for anyone who appreciates any kind of value for money, but rather for those with more money than sense.

1  Thank extra_strong_mint
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Called in for lunch mid way through our Xmas shopping trip. Had to queue but that's nothing unusual for Bettys and it wasn't too long anyway. When we got to the table that was nice as it was a window table upstairs, but from there went down hill. Ordered drinks a Hot Choc and a Coffee and they took ages to be served. My wife ordered the beetroot with goats cheese and that was nice. I ordered a ham sandwich and it came with crusts cut off and although this can be taken two ways!! after 4 mouth fulls it was gone! and for over £6 felt a tad robbed. Hot choc was tepid too and overall just a very average experience.

1  Thank Nick S