“Last minute salvation”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed March 14, 2013

After walking round an incredibly busy Whitby in glorious sunshine trying to find somewhere to eat we fell incredibly lucky here..... Every cafe and restaurant we tried were overflowing at about 6:30 pm last Saturday. Moutreys were bouncing .. but said we could have a table If we ordered pizza or boiled pasta dishes and they could have the table back for 7:30. The kids were past it we were wired so said yes ... Literally ten minutes later two pizzas two small spag bolls ...divine...even had time for ice cream....moutreys we love you .. Hanks and we hope our kids win the colouring competition..... Well be back !!!

3  Thank Tray Z

Reviewed March 14, 2013

You may have gathered by my heading that I liked the mussels ... Well me and the missus ventured in moutreys last Tuesday night ........earlier in the day a local erm.... Character!! (He seemed to be a little merry) god bless him with hindsight ... Told us in no uncertain terms we should go to mootrees as it seemed to us ... Anyway we'd had a few aperitifs in the Black swan and I think his name was Neil told us you gotta go to mootrees... And gave us directions... Over the bridge and turn right..... Well we did but could we find it no!!! Turns out we walked past it twice... Ended up in he endeavour pub.. Very near as it turned out .... The barman told us we should go to somewhere his mate ran called Bino's but we said no .... Neil said mootrees.... That's where we're off ... We'd had a good session and Neil was our drinking buddy so were off!!!
Anyway mootrees was just over the road and not very well lit up but spelt moutrays I think.
We rolled in just before they called last orders.....a little worse for wear!! I did detect the slightest oh my god should we let this couple in vibe as we entered but luckily we got a table.
And some foooood moules sublime!! Bread?? Where do you get beetroot chilli and sesame seed bread... Where do you get ricotta Parmesan and red onion focaccia .....answer mootreys!!
Wifey had salmon bake. Said it was better than spending the night before with me in the b&b
We're still together .......did I mention the moules.... Wowser !!,!

3  Thank Hart T
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Ii used to carry my youngest son into montreys in our car seat. He's now just turned eleven!!
Crazy!! I cant believe we've been eating there for so long. If you want a hearty meal in lovely surroundings with really helpful staff look no further. We live in derby and have a cottage in Whitby that we visit as often as we can. We bought it with the intention of spending every other weekend in lovely Whitby. We're lucky to get there once a month but always book our favourite restaurant.
A tip. In the winter ask to be sat near the oven as its toasty. In the summer ask to be sat in the lane lol. It does get hot! Also you need to book early Whitby is a small town and the best and popular places get full quick......early means a week or two before you go... Not lunchtime for evening or in peak times you won't get anywhere. Also if the brownie is on the dessert board skip the amazing mushrooms, prawns, Brie, starters........ And die in chocolate heaven.... Trust me its that good.
The owner Gary was off last time we were in but Simon was in the kitchen and did us proud my wife has an onion allergy and Simon talked her through the menu and told her what she could have, basically saying she could create her own dish and he'd cook it!!
Simon ad Gary have both done this and it's one of only two places that my wife has never had a reaction after dining. Top marks guys keep it up :) :) :)

2  Thank Drew B
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We have eaten here a few times now, over the years and have not had a bad meal. If you want a change from fish & chips you won't go wrong here, booking is advised. I booked ours 2 weeks prior.

2  Thank ding1Bradford
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Having a second home in Whitby we regularly eat out and this is one of our favourite restaurants. They always have a specials board which has an excellent choice of seafood/meat dishes along with an extensive menu. We noticed that dough balls had disappeared off the menu but when we asked for them it was not a problem they did them anyway (they are delicious served with a garlic butter and a spicy dip). The food is always delicious and be warned the starters are a good size and I struggle with my main after one! They always do a choice of breads too with lots of tempting names! Its always very busy. There is an open kitchen and clay oven - so its always nice and warm in there. For kids they do half portion sizes to the mains (still a large portion so I share one meal between them both). Very accommodating with children (no room for pushchairs though so be prepared to collapse them) - they always get a sweet when they leave. The service has always been warm and efficient and nothing is too much trouble. The only thing we dont like are the chairs - they are a little uncomfortable. I would highly recommend the restaurant if you enjoy a good italian with lots of choice and a nice ambience.

2  Thank JillJW