“The Best”

Ranked #26 of 215 Restaurants in Whitby
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed October 29, 2012

The best fish and chips in Whitby by far. Lovely restaurant, nice atmosphere, welcoming staff. Food was excellent.

Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

Seated quickly but with no menus. My daughter went and fetched some in the end. Wonderful fish & chips enjoyed by the whole family. My eldest had tiger prawns for her main, thought the portion could have been a bit more generous for the price. Fish & chip restaurant style furnishings but the prices don't match & £5 for a desert seems expensive.

1  Thank Sarah E
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Pity about the quality of the meal as this is a really nice,clean restaurant with very friendly attentive staff...maybe we just caught the chef on the wrong day.
Looked like a large fish when it was served but took three bites to find any fish!!
When you are paying Whitby prices(30 to 40% more than what you would pay in my local area)you expect really good produce and this was not top notch.

1  Thank DurhamEvvo
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Tried Mr Chips for the first time to-day,and it certainly won't be the last time.Four types of fish on my platter cooked to perfection and the price was very good too,free tea with the meal was a bonus totally fabulous.My husband went for a sea food medley it was presented to a high standard and the vegetables to accompany were good too,he is fussy about his veg but polished the lot off!!!!The girls who served the table could'nt have been any nicer great service.Well done to all at Mr Chips,I will be spreading the word to all my friends about you.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

We were staying the wonderful "the Belfry" B&B and not knowing whitby had been told to go to the Magpie for Fish & Chips... it was fully booked when we got there and a friendly local advised us to go to Mr Chips instead, Iam so glad we did, the staff were really friendly and the food was fabulous, the cod & chips was enormous ( i had a medium cod) really hot and very very tasty. The batter was the best I have ever tasted, it was really crisp and not a hint of greasyness. My hubby had fish stew, another hit and another large portion. The staff saw my daughter draw on their napkins and brought her a whiteboard & crayons to play with, she was a very happy bunny. She had a childrens chicken & chips which she said was lovely-she is a very fussy eater. For pudding we all had ice cream.. try the cinder toffee flavour it was fab. Mr Chips is really clean,roomy the staff are great and the food is very reasonbly priced, all in all a hit with this scottish family