“quirky” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Rosa Hotel & Campsite

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whitby
La Rosa Hotel & Campsite
Ranked #2 of 48 Specialty Lodging in Whitby
leeds
“quirky”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

Loved this place, loved the individuality of each room and the unusual things everywhere, We stayed in what I think was the turkish room, a fabulous four poster bed (superking) we chose this one for the bed size not the view ( faced a car park). Breakfast served in the room was also a bonus for us arrived in a lovely hamper. I guess if you want the fry up this may not be for you, but for us, if we had been staying longer that a night I think we would have ended up with a very crumby bed as not much space else where to eat, but for the one night it worked very well as we didn't have to get up and dressed for breakfast early and the hamper was delivered anytime u wanted between 9 and 11. free tea and coffee was available down stairs for guests anytime on request. I would like to return and try another room!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

Recently visited the campsite twice - once for my partners birthday in June in the Bluebird Boudoir, then for my hen do in July we took over most of the site, then more recently the hotel, with all my bridal party the night before the wedding we stayed in The Crows Nest, then at the weekend with my partner for our mini moon we stayed in Saloon. I bloody love the place!!!

Both sites are ran by extremely LOVELY people who do not mind having slightly quirky guests staying.

At the campsite both times we were given a very warm welcome, and shown around and had demo's on how to light the fires etc. The owners are always around so you know they are there if you need any help with anything, but dont hang over you as if theyre keeping their eye on you like at some other campsites. They were so cool they would have been more than welcome to come party with us if they had wished too actually!!!

Make sure to spend some time in the big top as the dressing up box is good fun. The bath is also a good way to spend some time especially late at night so you can stargaze from a roll-top. So surreal. For couples, Mr Toad is a great choice as its pretty secluded but the toilets a bit of a trek! Swallow Barn is also unreal.

The campsite is a beautiful place the only downside is leaving to go home. There is no phone signal, no televisions, you are just enjoying nature and the company of whoever you are with. Absolute bliss.

The hotel is much the same cept you have a few more creature comforts. Free tea is served downstairs as well as having a kettle and refreshment tray in the rooms. The breakfasts are so cute, arriving in a picnic basket with an array of different options. Both the beds I have slept in at the hotel have been very comfy with luxurious bedding. The bath in the Saloon room is MASSIVE! We had an extremely bubbly bath with the amazing-smelling orange and cardamon stuff that is left in the bathrooms, definitely make use of it!

The hotel unfortunately doesn't have facilities for evening food but thats fine as you are more than welcome to order in take-away! Myself and my bridal party enjoyed an Indian midnight feast around the table in the tearoom, in our pyjamas. I do not know any other hotel that would not frown upon this haha!

Kate the manager is extremely personable, happy to provide recommendations for things to do and places to eat. On the morning of our wedding I was a bit stressed with some things not going to plan (nothing to do with the hotel!) and Kate decided to diffuse the situation with a bottle of something fizzy, on the house. A very kind and much appreciated gesture which definitely helped calm me!

In other words, both the campsite and the hotel are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

We visited for a second time august 2013.

It is a bit pricy but for a splash out treat I love it. Beds and linen super comfy (stayed in La Rosa and Sacre Coeur) lovely baths, fabulous views out to sea and to the abbey. Quirky, fun decor. Clean.

If you are a light sleeper, I'd reccomend packing ear plugs: bare wooden floors in a victorian house make for transferable noise - nothing that stopped me from sleeping but my husband (who had forgotten his plugs) was a bit disturbed for a while.

Love the breakfast in bed or on bacony idea. Good range of times to have it 0830-1100.

Will be saving up to go back

Room Tip: Sacre Coeur and La Rosa both lovely lovely
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Saffron Walden, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

Bram Stoker and Lewis Carroll associations along with all things Victorian down to the two headed taxidermed duck on reception make this a unique experience. Breakfast served to your room in a hamper (No full English here). I like quirky so thoroughly enjoyed my stay here.We had a room at the front so had spectacular views Whitby harbour to the Abbey. Friendly and helpful staff, lovely room and en suite. One suggestion...we enjoyed the breakfasts in our room so it would be perfect if there had been a little table to eat from rather than off our laps or the bed. Loved Whitby and La Rosa....will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Room at the front......so you get spectacular views across whitby harbour and the town to the Abbey.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

I couldn't believe my eyes upon entering La Rosa hotel. Stepping into a wonderland of past times, I felt overwhelmed. If you love old Hollywood, tales of Alice Peter Pan, Ealing films and so much more you are in for a treat. In the Crows Nest we revelled in the dressing up box,drank champagne to the sound of the sea and created our very own tales from the objects that adorned each room. The staff were warm, helpful and the perfect hosts. Can't wait to return. Next time,going to try the arabesque room. What joy........

Room Tip: Go online to choose the right theme for you.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jac1914
St Ives, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

This place is a real gem. It couldn't be further away from the bland impersonal hotel style. Be warned though, its not for everyone. If you have a prissy uptight nature you may be annoyed by its quirkiness. But we LOVED it! In order to get the most out of it just appreciate all the loving details, the handmade chocolates on arrival in the room, the unusual soap and bath wash (cardamom and orange) and all the unusual objects dotted around the room and the tea room downstairs. Don't get strung about about there being no phone in the room etc, this is not a commercial hotel, it is a unique and highly individual experience run by charming and enthusiastic staff. Breakfast arrives at your door each morning, (you give them a time) in a picnic basket. It's continental style, coffee, orange juice, a warm croissant, a boiled egg and slice of cheese, yogurt and fruit cake. The novelty wore off by day three though, which was fine and we went in search of something different (I was craving Kedgeree), but again, it's the eccentric nature of it that is so charming and the obvious effort they put into it all. So go with an open mind and heart and you will have a wonderful time but it's not for Mr & Mrs Uptight who will probably hate it. Vive la différence!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Steve B
norfolk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

I had seen this hotel a couple of years ago online and wished I could go. It's so quirky and unique which is exactly what I love. Well, I have been!! My husband and I had not been away for over 13 years without children. As soon as you walk in you feel relaxed, it's warm and smells yummy too. We stayed in little red for two nights. Small, yet cosy and beautiful. Greeted with cupcakes in our room , and hand made toiletries and chocs. Third night we were in La rosa room. Wow! Beautiful and the bath is amazing.
It was folk festival so we had the e xtra delight of a concert in the romantic setting of the basement. Breakfast is in a hamper. So in little red it was picnic on the bed and la rosa we were on the balcony looking at the stunning views. Breakfast was yum. Nice and fresh.
I recommend eating at a quirky, tiny local pub called the Eleanor (I think) not far from the hotel. Also humble pie, over the bridge, a 1940's cafe serving pie and mash. All home cooked, but every cafe or restaurant is quirky and has home cooked food at great value. Also Whitby LOVES dogs! They are welcome everywhere.
We are returning in October with our girls and doggies. To stay in little red and caravan rooms. The hotel has a friendly atmosphere, didn't realise it was full as so quiet, didn't even hear a baby next door! Can't wait to go again, and explore Whitby and the hotel some more.

Room Tip: Little red and caravan are tiny yet still quirky, very cosy. no seaview. Little red was my husbands...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple