“best place to stay in whitby”
Review of Sanders Yard

Sanders Yard
Ranked #48 of 151 Whitby B&B and Inns
widnes
“best place to stay in whitby”
Reviewed April 2, 2009

me and my son love going to whitby and always stay at sanders yard , the rooms are great the staff are very friendly and very helpful , the food is fantastic and the home made cakes are a must , we went in march for his birthday as thats what he wanted and are going back in august for a week and we cannot wait , if anyone is thinking of going to whitby sanders yard is the best place to stay , you are in the middle of the old town all the shops and cafes around you to enjoy , just a short stroll to the beach and to the steps up to the abbey if you have a family the harbour is a two minute walk were you can enjoy fishing and crabbing or just to sit and watch the boats and relax which is what we enjoy , so if you do go and stay you will not regret it , as we keep going back and hope to for many more holidys

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Lancashire UK
Reviewed March 10, 2009

Stayed at the Old Dispensary part of Sanders Yard in Whitby for a surprise for my hubbys 40th. The cottage is so quaint and beautifully restored.
Robin and the gang could not of been more helpful and the cottage is ideally situated for exploring!!
There is no parking at the cottage but you can pull up and unload and there is a pay and display just a few mins away which has CCTV.
The breakfasts were great and the cottage lovely and clean.
We will def. be back, whitby is a great place with lots to explore and we will def. stay at the Old Dispensary again!!
Would not hesitate to recommend

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Newcastle
Reviewed February 22, 2009

From the moment we arrived on the Friday evening we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. I LOVE Whitby, especially the old town, and Sanders Yard is the perfect base for a weekend here. Situated right in the middle of cobbled Church Street below the abbey steps and opposite the market place, the B and B itself has a lovely vintage farmhouse feel and is super cosy with its exposed beams, wicker chaise lounge and patchwork eiderdown. We arrived on the evening and were met by a member of staff to provide us with a key and show us to our room. We stayed in the Jade Attic which was lovely, as we walked in the room was lit solely by fairy lights and we found a lovely little box of heart shaped sweets on the bed from Sandgate sweet shop round the corner (in honour of St Valentines day). The only thing I would say about this room its that although it does have its own spacious private bathroom, it is not en-suite its down a flight of stairs, this was not a problem for us but may be for others. Also, the B & B dont have their own off street parking but there is a secure car park three minutes walk away that is fairly priced.

We stayed for two nights and so enjoyed two delicious breakfasts in the pretty breakfast room in the cafe downstairs. Having tried both the full english and the homemade porridge with double cream and maple syrup I would recommend both as they were absolutely fabulous. Sanders Yard offer a wide selection of coffees and teas with their breakfasts but are also open all day serving both lunch and afternoon tea.

Other places I would recommend in Whitby are:
For Shopping - the Stonehouse vintage shop and Soul2Soul shoe shop on Skinner Street, most of the shops in the old town especially Venus Trading. Also, make sure you check out grape lane opposite Toymaster as it has a fab second hand bookshop and other interesting little shops.
For Eats - Robertsons fish and chips, the Moon and Sixpence which serves local food simply cooked but very yummy, Trenchers fish and chips, the Hatless Heron for light bites and Marie-Antoinettes for cakes and coffees.
Other - The Old Turk (ship), Whitby Abbey, The Whitby Wizard hands-on science museum on West Cliff and of course the arcades!

Like I said, I love Whitby and have consequently visited here a lot. This was by far my favourite stay and we are already planning a return visit to Sanders Yard.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Merrily_333
bjs120872
Reviewed November 27, 2008

We booked out Sanders Yard for us and our family when we got married on 15th November in Whitby. On arrival we were greeted with friendly smiles and helped with our bags into the rooms.

The rooms are really excellent, with lovely touches like chocolates on the pillows and fresh flowers. They were also spotlessly clean.

Friends of ours stayed in Dove cottage, what a perfect base to enjoy Whitby from. We will probably go back and stay there for a long weekend next year.

The staff in Sanders Yard are so helpful and go out of there way to offer help and a friendly smile, something that is distinctly lacking in some hotels.

The breakfast was huge and there was a good choice of food. Coffee in the lounge was very relaxed and they have a large selection of georgeous cakes that can turn you into the most indecisive person ever!

We would highly recommend Sanders Yard, both for a relaxing coffee break after visiting the old town of Whitby and for a lovely stay. Book Sanders Yard, you wont regret it.

• Liked — Friendly staff, room size and cleanliness and pet friendly
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
Wirral
Reviewed October 17, 2008

My husband, myself, daughter and her husband stayed for 4 nights at Dove Cottage last New Year. The accommodation was excellent, homely but all mod cons and a lovely cottagey atmospere. We had breakfast over at the restaurant and it was lovely, fresh food and good quality. We had a great stay, the cottage is so convenient and our favourite pub is a couple of yards away. My husband passed away this july but I am determined to stay in Dove Cottage again this Jan/feb with some girlfriends as we had such a great time!

• Liked — home from home
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 14, 2008

We called up without a reservation and they had just had a cancellation. We stayed in the 'Jade Attic', a nice top floor room. It had a private bathroom which was great even though it was on the floor below. Room was comfy and pretty big. No views to speak of but located in the old town of Whitby with lots of great stuff around. The owners were really nice and friendly. The breakfast was huge and delicious and we almost considered staying an extra night in Whitby just to stay (and eat) there again.

• Liked — room size, location and breakfast
  • Disliked — ensuite bathroom not connected to room
  • Stayed May 2008
London
Reviewed August 16, 2007

I booked to stay here in December as I wanted to show my new boyfriend how lovely Whiby is. When I booked I specified that I wanted the Jade Attic as shown in the website and the lady happily agreed. We arrived on a cold December evening and were looking forward to warming up in our B&B. We were given keys and told which room it was; not the room we booked. In fact a small, what felt like a temporary structure, with a bathroom and no shower, not even a shower head. So I went to find the manager; there was no one in sight. Everyone had left. We decided to make the best of it anyway and went back to the damp, cold room. Unfortunately the radiators were not working, so no chance of warming the room up. It felt like staying in an old caravan, being in a small, damp cold room in the middle of winter! Not pleasant, and it was too late by that time to find somewhere else to stay. The next day we went to complain. Someone who was working in the kitchen came out to discuss it He was very agressive and refused to listen to our concerns. I had booked, and paid for, two nights but we left as I couldn't bear another evening there. I cancelled the payment through my AMEX card. I travel frequently and have never had to do that before. It was such an awful experience. My advice is stay well clear. The worst place I've ever stayed by far.

• Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple