“Excellent B&B with a twist!”

Bats and Broomsticks
Ranked #46 of 151 Whitby B&B and Inns
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Excellent B&B with a twist!”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Just came back from a one night stay at Bats and Broomsticks. I would highly recommend this B&B to anyone who is looking to stay in Whitby. The owner Kev was very welcoming - we were meant to check in between 11-12 but got stuck in traffic, however, he waited for us so we could still check in when we arrived. An excellent touch I thought. Me and my boyfriend stayed in the dracula room. I do not usually sleep very well when I'm not at home but I can honestly say that I had the best night sleep ever in the comfy four poster bed. I noticed that the B&B is absolutely spotless. Not a speck of dust or dirt anywhere!! The breakfast is to die (no pun intended) for. I would definitely be going back for another stay!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tabby85

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Myself and my boyfriend are just back from a great weekend in Whitby, made all the better for this great bed & breakfast. The rooms are great and have everything that you need. The huge DVD/Video library was a nice touch. Breakfast by candlelight with goff music playing the background was really good fun. Breakfast by the way is a full on affair and will set you up for the day. Kev and Tish really do thing right and i will happily recommend Bat's and Broomsticks to everyone!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nina W
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Running late, I received a very friendly phone call from the hotel owner, just checking we weren't lost - how considerate!
Upon arrival we were given a warm, friendly greeting, a tour and even a quick lesson on how to use the sky control (nice touch as I didn't have a clue).
The décor was amazing and I can not justify in words the attention to detail to create a quirky, unique Gothic atmosphere (I loved the garlic and vampire stakes in the closet!). The great thing was that all these details were not too over the top and didn't spook us at all!!!
Breakfast was delicious and hearty, set in an amazing dining room with vampire salt and pepper shakers and Gothic music.
I've never loved staying in a place away from home so much and I will definitely go back many times!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Green Man room, it was great. I loved the spider web detail on the bed and the cute...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Adele M
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed for one night and it was great., Kev welcomed us and was terrific from when we arrived to saying goodbye the next morning. Such attention to detail, so much gothic paraphernalia right down to the emergency kit in the wardrobe. I am glad I don't have to do the cleaning and dusting, the place was spotless. Candlelit breakfast freshly cooked and massive. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank margerydawes_11
Manchester
Reviewed June 11, 2013

So if you're going to the adopted home of Count Dracula, here's the perfect place to get the full Gothic experience. Bats & Broomsticks isn't nearly as tacky as a 'Gothic theme guest house' might sound. Yes...there's a bat hanging off the end of the four poster in the Dracula room, yes...there's a coffin at the top of the stairs and yes...there's a....well, I won't say what's in the wardrobe, but the rooms are comfortable and sumptuous.

Gimmicks apart it's a really well run, clean and welcoming B&B. The owners are charming, a great source of local knowledge and breakfast is delicious. You probably do need to be prepared to revel in the dark side to enjoy it but for us the Jesus and Mary Chain soundtrack accompanying the candlelit breakfast was a perfect touch.

It's a shame there are no en-suites but each room does have it's own private bathroom just across the hall, well stocked with products and towels and sparklingly clean.

Would certainly return and recommend.

Room Tip: Lunar, Solar, Dracula...all the rooms are themed. The fun is finding out which one you've got!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Joanne_Laura
Burstwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed here in May 2012 and loved every minute! The owners have really put effort into making the B&B gothic themed, and although some bits are fun (garlic in the cupboard incase of emergency!) it is not at all tacky.
The bedrooms were great, with 4 poster beds and lovely decor. The only downside was not having an en-suite, but the private bathrooms (which were very clean and well decorated) were only a quick walk down the hallway (past the lifesize model of a man which can be a bit spooky!)

There's a huge selection of videos/dvds to watch (most of them horrors!)
Breakfast was lovely - just the right amount of food to set you up for the day! The dining room (in the basement) has the same gothic theme running through it. (The carved knives and forks were brilliant!) I've now experienced breakfast by candlelight with some rock music in the background!

Overall, I'd have to say this B&B is one of the best and most fun that I've stayed in. It's only a short walk from the town centre, and is run by lovely people who are obviously very fond of what they do!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Weezie_1987
Llanelli, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We stayed here on the Bank Holiday weekend just gone for the Sunday and Monday night and had an awesome time! Lovely large room with a 4 poster bed which was extremely comfy, felt right at home! We stayed in the Lunar room which was awesomely gothic and just completely brilliant - i don't want to spoil it for anyone, so I'll just describe the other great features :o) The room has a massive kettle (I know, I like my cuppas!) proper sized mugs and more tea and coffee than anyone could possibly drink; sky freeview and a ton of DVDs down the hall that the owners leave for you to watch. Breakfast was stunning, accompanied by Billy Idol on the first day and Me First and the Gimme Gimmes on the second. The owner Kev is pretty awesome and shared some great touristy tips on the area. We are defo going back again - would recommend it to anyone into Dracula/ Goth/ Dragon stuff or just something a bit different!

Room Tip: Lunar room is at the front of the property - but has like superduper triple glazing so there is bare...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple