“Noisy pub with basic rooms and poor service”
Review of Resolution Hotel

Resolution Hotel
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
Reviewed September 6, 2009

The Resolution is a noisy pub with basic, unattractive rooms on the upper floors.

The customer service of the very young and seemingly inexperienced staff leaves much to be desired. They were unfriendly at best, and rude at times.

The rooms are worn and need a make over. The bed was extremely uncomfortable - you could feel every slat through the very thin mattress, and my pregnant wife barely slept a wink as a result. Some of the bathroom fixtures and fittings were hanging off the wall.

The pub downstairs is not even much of a selling point - none of the handpulled ales were on and they even ran out of Stella later in the evening, so the only beer on tap was Carling.

On the plus side, the location is very good and some of the rooms have good views. Also the price that we got was much better than that quoted on this website.

Overall, if you're only visiting Whitby for one night and everywhere else is full, then stay here. Otherwise, look elsewhere. Some of my other friends stayed at La Rosa, which had beautiful rooms, a sea front location, and wasn't a lot more expensive.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 16, 2009

DO NOT VISIT!!!!!! We arrived at the resolution hotel on the friday afternoon, saw the hotel and the O was missing out of resolution, walked through the front doors with fag ends all over the carpet floor, then went into the reception area and on the right was the empty bar (totally not what was in the pictures) We were greeted by a nice girl who gave us our keys and advised us that both rooms were 'harbour view' and both had bath and showers as we were travelling with my grandmother so couldnt use showers easily. She also asked us how much we were told we had to pay???? strange!! We opened the door to the first room and OH MY GOD, it was like walking into night time it was so dark! My grandmother said that she didnt want to stay in this room as it was so dark so we tootled off to the next room which i must admit was a little better. Me & my partner got back into our room and had a look around, there was a TINY harbour view behind a dressing table which had no chair and filled the whole window. The wardrobe had collapsed and was slanting downwards and resting on the wall, the bathroom curtain was so dirty you didnt want it to touch you when you was in the shower!!! The shower was actually held on my selotape and therefor went all over the floor when turned on. Good job we took our own towels too because you didnt get any clean ones! There was tea and coffee stains on the skirting boards and bed side tables, the door stop had broken off and not been fixed it was just terrible. Saturday night there was a band on in the pub and it was so loud in the rooms and we were on the 3rd floor! even though we were told we wouldnt be able to hear a thing on the 3rd floor!! Breakfast was nice though!!! Staff were friendly but very very young, i dont think we saw anyone over the age of 20 there!!! Oh - and there was no hand rails on the few steps which made it very hard for my grandmother! This was 300.00 for 2 nights for 2 rooms, what a rip off! i wish i had gone to the Royal Hotel for another 100.00 more! Very dissapointing! They SHOULD NOT be charging guesthouse prices!!! DO NOT VISIT!!! There...rant over...

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 13, 2009

we went away for what we thought was going to be a relaxing weekend however when we got to the hotel the room wasn't even ready when we booked the room we booked a double bed we got into the room and it was two single beds that we had to push together we went to reception to quiery it and they said there was nothing they could do as they had a big coach party booking in, the window in the room would only open about a inch it was dark and dinjy the bottom of the wardrobe was all dusty the bathroom was very clean an the view from the room was great. nobody told us what time breakfast was served so we went down at 9.30 and they had stopped serving asked to speak to the manager but he was never available and to top the holiday off the second nite it was raining and we was on the top floor i woke up in the early hours of the morning to find that my pillow and my face was soaking wet because the roof had been leaking and it had come through the ceiling, i phoned reception streight away but no answer so me and my partner had to sleep on the floor. i went streight down to the reception in the morning an demanded to speak to the manager but he wasn't available again, so i spoke to one of the staff about it and they said i should have called reception when it happend i explained to them that i did but there was no answer so they said i should have come downstairs and got someone. we then had breakfast which was discusting everything was covered in grease, by this point i had enough i went back to reception and asked for my money back and they said i would have to speak to a manager and because he wasn't in i would have to ring up the day after, i called everyday for about 2 weeks after and still couldn't get in touch with him so i gave up. i would never recomend this hotel to anybody. its is nothing like it looks on the internet i think they took pictures of the wrong hotel. i mean i am 20 years old and me and my partner jus wanted a relaxing holiday and get a bit tipsy and have a good time but instead it was hell. the only decent thing about this hotel was the view from our room and the lager tasted very crisp and refreshing everything else was crap. we also got told that there was parking close by and there wasn't we had to go back to the car everyday and pay on the metre again which was expensive.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2009

The Resolution looked wonderful on the website, I booked for my partners birthday weekend, I rang, enquired about king sized bed, " yes" I was told "just had a new one it will be in your room" IT WASN'T, the room was stuffy, the window wouldn't open, the food was simply awful...after what I loosely describe as dinner on saturday night we didn't bother evan having breakfast there, we went down to eat at 8pm as live music was on at 9, I ordered the only thing without chips, 'chicken breast stuffed with stilton and served with rice' what I got was chicken breast (I think) served with a mountain of overdone chips, shredded iceberg lettuce & diced cucumber YUK, twice asked to see the manager, he wasn't there, but that evening he was in the globe up the road having a drink, while the staff at his 'hotel' again I use the term loosely, were struggling to cope! IT IS AWFUL, best described as a pub with rooms...bad ones, & if you don't like loud music toll 1am DON'T GO....shame is I love Whitby & this place has put me off. I wa aso told there was cheap parking nearby...there is not!!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2009

Went for a 1 night stay over May Bank Holiday - one of the only hotels in Whitby to do a single night stay of a weekend which was good. Location was pretty good - close to all amenities, shops etc in Whitby. As for the hotel itself, the decor looked tired and in need of upgrade (i.e. lick of paint, new shelves, cupboards etc) - but it was clean. The bed was comfortable and the room was OK for what we paid. The power shower was excellent! As for breakfast, again it was adequate, nothing special - full english and continental (not much choice of cereal etc). Overall, not bad for a one/two night stay - probably wouldn't stay for anything longer.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 18, 2009

Stayed in the Resolution for two nights in May with 12 friends.
Good location with plenty of pubs close by.
Decent breakfast except for the coffee. Hot water flasks with instant coffee sachets were a let down, would have prefered a cafetiere.
Staff were friendly and most requests were dealt with swiftly
Hotel has a good bar with live music on weekends
Rooms have seen better days but they were clean and adequate for a couple of nights.
Overall this is a decent budget hotel with good service and value for money.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 15, 2009

Managed to secure last minute room at the resolution, got double room on second floor for 1 night B&B £65. Cannot get better value for money.

Staff were wonderful, friendly, helpful, had personality!! (only 1 each) breakfast in morning was fantastic, lady serving was happy and helpful.

Location brilliant, quick and easy walk to all shops. Definately going back there. Compared to alot of the places in Whitby, value for money etc, this was definately one of the better places with the better rates.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple