Open today: 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM

Ways to Experience Whitby Abbey
from $58.80
More Info
4,591 results
All reviews english heritage audio guide dracula play car park entrance fee youth hostel well worth a visit dracula story bram stoker gift shop tour bus worth the climb fantastic views tea room the cliff great place to visit sunny day
Reviewed yesterday via mobile

Perched on the cliff tops overlooking the wonderful old fishing town of Whitby, you can’t fail to be impressed by the magnificence of Whitby Abbey. It has plenty of parking and nicely ran by English Heritage. It’s currently getting some upgrades and will be reopening in early 2019. Worth a visit to appreciate the place

Reviewed 4 days ago

The Abbey ruins are unreachable ,due to the site closing on
November the 4th.although the car park is free after this date
there is no where to go

Reviewed 4 days ago

We went to Whitby Abbey on Sunday 4th November. No charge for parking as all meters were covered up and we did check this when we paid the entrance fee. Had a lovely walk and the children were delighted with the giant spider, pumpkin, witches hat etc that were there for the Halloween trail. The weather was lovely so we were able to get some beautiful photos of the Abbey itself. The Visitors Centre was very nicely done and informative & we stopped for a hot chocolate in the cafe which was very welcome!

Reviewed 6 days ago via mobile

Went to see the abbey illuminated, well worth it to see it all lit up. Dracula show fantastic and enjoyed roasting marshmallows.

Reviewed 6 days ago

This is a great place to visit and worth it if only for the views. However the 199 steps up (and down) can be a challenge but the open top tourist bus visits - £5 for 24hours (from time of first use) hop on and off where you want - is a good investment. There is a great YHA in the outbuildings and apparently very cheap - even for private room. Café excellent and not expensive. I was initially reluctant to visit, but glad I did

Reviewed 6 days ago

We were looking forward to visiting this iconic landmark - but when we turned up - despite the opening hours displayed on the website and TripAdvisor …. It was CLOSED!

There was no way you could get near it even to have a closer look from the outside. Everything was geared to get you to park (and pay!) by the entrance. There were double yellow lines everywhere around the Abbey and vicinity with threatening 'No Parking' signs everywhere! A high wall has been built all around the grounds so there was no way to see much or to enjoy this building without paying - which I was happy to do - but unhappy not to be able to!

It apparently closed on Sunday 4th November for the winter season! Yet a week later it is STILL being advertised as open from 10-4pm!

I can totally understand why it closed for the winter but in this day and age of instant information I think it is unforgivable for an organisation as large as English Heritage not to be better organised and more efficient. It is not hard to update a website!

Reviewed 1 week ago

Like everything else that English Heritage gets its paws on, they suck out the magic. If I had to give the Abbey itself a review with all its wonderful atmosphere and history, then it would be a 5 star rating.
I came here as a small person and never had to pay, there was no commercial value and you could come at any time of day or night (if you dared come at night)! There was a real magic at that place when I was little. Now however, the magic has gone, the ticket booth awaits with the badgering of membership (3 times I told them I didnt want a membership). The shop with its generic English Heritage stock just steals any last vestige of ambience.
One of the very worst things is that English Heritage has made it so sterile, there was a dracula convention on when I was there, and we were coming up to Halloween but there was no mention of dracula in the English Heritage experience.
On top of that there was a man complaining in the shop (I didnt eavesdrop what it was about) however when he left the manager and all the staff laughed about him and patted each other on the back for fending off another awkward customer - now I work in customer service and I know this is how we all react but not infront of other customers!

Reviewed 1 week ago

Really enjoyed our visit to the Abbey. Will definitely repeat. Its a beautiful historic site and the cakes in the café are divine :)

Reviewed 1 week ago

We were greeted by a most imfomative receptionist at the ticket office and purchased a family ticket and free audio pnones.
The path was well marked and the views were splendid and the audio phones at each stop were well presented.
The abbey is well preserved and fascinating.
From here we climbed down the 199 steps into Whitby for the rest of the day.
Its a shame that there is such a high extra charge for parking.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Bought tickets for the Saturday evening - but sadly this was cancelled. What was nice is that english heritage posted this on Facebook at 2pm and also people at the bottom of the steps making you aware. We were there for the goth festival as well - which this was then going to the be the cherry on our cake for the end of the day - which wasn’t then to be.
As the skies were clear on the Sunday we actually went back and thankfully the abbey illuminated was on
We queued from 5pm as keen to be one of the first in - but totally surprised no one actually checked our tickets. Was then horrified at the amount of people climbing over the walls near the abbey and therefore getting in for free!!!!
I am a English heritage member so have been here a few times and always love my visit. I got some lovely photos of the evening but only spent about 45 mins at the abbey max as there were just too many people there to enjoy it
I went with friends. Who also like taking photos - which I was glad about as it was far too cold in my opinion to be up there at that time of night in the cold. (Clocks has gone back that night)
I do think they could open at 5 or even 4.30 on the Sunday which would be more orientated for the children