“Basic but spot on”
other travelers have booked this property

Review of Easter Morn

View out of up stairs dormer window
upstairs bedroom down stairs twin bedroom
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Average
upstairs bedroom
down stairs twin bedroom
lounge
newly crazy paved yard
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

York
“Basic but spot on”
Reviewed April 25, 2016 for a stay in April 2016
person found this review helpful

I booked Easter Morn for a school reunion weekend. I only needed a base and somewhere to crash out after a night (or 2) of drinking with my old pals and didn't want the fuss of breakfast in a crowded b&b with a hangover.

I was lucky to book for an incredibly reasonable price and was kept well informed by email and text about my booking. I received the key and excellent directions in the post and was easily able to find the cottage and the parking (a few streets away, standard for Whitby!).

The approaching stairs are slippery when it's raining but that added to the charm.

The cottage itself is a little dated but the beds and sofa were comfy and that's what matters. The previous residents obviously weren't up to washing up very well but that was nothing a quick rinse couldn't sort. The shower needed a bit of TLC but was fully functional so again, no worries.

The stairs to the attic bedroom are fun, they're all different sizes and made me giggle. My tall room mate had to duck a couple of times but he survived. Some of the floors are a little wibbly, adding to the delightful fishermans cottage feel.

The free wifi was an unexpected bonus and very handy as mobile data signal isn't the best on the coast.

I'd stay again, it was so reasonable and I loved being right in the centre of town.

jerome182...
Louisville, Kentucky
“Away from it all”
Reviewed January 3, 2016 for a stay in December 2015

My family has stayed at Easter Morn for the past three Christmases. It is quiet with helpful owners.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The quaintness and quiet of the cottage.
Liked least: The bathroom is a bit removed from the main bedroom.
Traveling group: Extended Family
Friends getaway People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Management Response
Jan 15, 2016
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us
Andrea M
“DO NOT BOOK THIS COTTAGE”
Reviewed September 11, 2015 for a stay in September 2015

On arrival at the cottage, my husband, myself and our Labrador were dismayed to find we had to carry all our luggage up very steep stone steps (due to there being no parking facilities) to the cottage. The stone steps leading up to the cottage was twice covered in human urine ( there was a club situated nearby and it's customers ( who were all pissed) would urinate on the steps. There was rubbish littered all over the bottom of the steps. We felt in need of oxygen and feared having a heart attack once we had reached the top and that included Alfie the dog!

Once inside of the cottage we were confronted with a filthy kitchen - and I use the term 'kitchen' very loosely - the cooking utensils and kettle were greasy and dirty. Cooking in that kitchen would have made a bushtucker trial seem appealing. Just making a cup of tea was a feat in itself as I had to boil anything I used before I felt I could drink from any cup.

The shower room was horrendous and no, I am not being OTT here. I did not want to brush my teeth from the grimy taps, The bedrooms, well, I can not find any words to describe them. Needless to say, we cut our break short and came back home. We felt dirty and distressed that we had to actually sleep there. I still keep checking my skin for any signs of scabies!!

Liked best: coming home
Liked least: staying there
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 35-49
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
Sep 12, 2015
You were asked if things were ok and was told that they were. We do mention about the steps and also state that the cottage is not suitable if you have walking difficulties. We have over 60% rebooks on that cottage and you can read about 200 testimonials on our Facebook page. The people that followed in are here for the 6th time this year, the people before you have booked for next year. We welcome pets and ask that you clear away pet hairs we spent 2 hours removing dog hairs when you left. We are sorry that you not happy with the cleanliness of the cottage if you had complained on your arrival we would have given you a full refund if you did not wish stop
cazyf
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
“Average”
Reviewed September 23, 2014 for a stay in July 2014
people found this review helpful

I wouldn't recommend this cottage to any of my family or friends. It wasn't very clean and smelt of cigarettes. The walk up the steps to the cottage wasn't very enjoyable as men were usually standing at the bottom drinking and smoking. There was a constant 24/7 hum from the air conditioner from the near by club which also sent a stream of fat cooking smells up to the cottage. The "garden " wasn't a garden it was full of rubbish and broken glass which I had to clear up before my dogs could go in it.
But if you smoke and enjoy the smell of cooking fat go for it !

Liked best: Leaving
Liked least: the steps
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 50-64
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
People with pets
Ian W
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“We really enjoyed our stay”
Reviewed September 16, 2014 for a stay in September 2014

We felt that the Cottage had an authentic fisherman's cottage feel to it, if you are looking for luxury it isn't for you, but if want a cosy base very handily situated indeed then I'd recommend it. Access up some stone steps is no problem, one of our party has a knee problem and she found it perfectly ok. John was kind enough to sort out some wi-fi for us. Had a lovely time in Whitby and the N Yorks Moors

Traveling group: Other
Claire P
London, Canada
“Fabulous cottage, excellent position, home from home”
Reviewed August 30, 2014 for a stay in August 2014
people found this review helpful

Had a smashing holiday in Easter Morn cottage with 3 school age children, cottage very comfy and cosy, homely and in a perfect position to explore Whitby from. Jean and John were friendly and helpful. Would recommend using the parking on offer with the cottage for convenience and value for money. Cottage is literally in the heart of Whitby but you wouldn't know it because it's so quiet- even in August holidays.
The kids had been so excited to stay in a cottage and we weren't disappointed, just a lovely lovely holiday- perfect seaside retreat.

Traveling group: Other
Sonya L
“Whitby wonderful - Accomodation Adequate”
Reviewed July 27, 2014 for a stay in July 2014
person found this review helpful

John (the Owner) was very friendly and quick to offer help when we experienced problems with our parking space as we had booked a medium space and arrived to find we had been given a small space which the car struggled to fit into. The cottage itself is built into the available space which gives it lots of character, however space is limited, we were lucky as there was only 3 of us but I dread to think if we'd tried to squeeze 6 of us in there. Previous reviews indicate the cottage is in need of a deep clean???? Pots were a bit dusty in the kitchen as they are sat on an open shelf, but I always wash anything in a self catering apartment before using anyway regardless of how clean it looks. The only real fault we found with the kitchen was the toaster (which was un-usable and really needs thrown out), but we simply used the grill instead. The rest of the cottage was reasonably clean, and everything you really need is available. One of the sofas is in need of a deep scrub or throwing out (this may be due to someones pet having an accident as these are animal friendly holiday homes)but we sprayed it with febreze and covered it with a throw from upstairs and it was comfortable enough. I forgot, but meant to mention to John that the exterior light is not working and is really essential at night due to the precarious steps. so check this is working if you visit. I feel we got what we paid for and some of the previous reviewers were perhaps expecting 4 star luxury for 2 star prices??? I do however think the property description online could do with updating as there is NO garden here....there is a very very small concreted area with 2 bins in it and not even a chair to sit on. Also information sent out to renters is also out of date as we were sent a map telling us access to the cottage means driving over one of these pillars in the ground which required us to enter a code( we were told this code would be on the pillar) it was not and we did not know whether to drive over it or not...we ended up with many cars behind us and just took a chance...it was fine....however it annoyed us that when we told John he laughed and said it hadn't worked in 5 years???!!! Really!!??
All in all we had a lovely week and if you plan on spending most of your time outdoors, why spend more than you have to. Bedding was fresh, beds were comfortable and the bathroom although small was adequate. Just don't expect more than what you pay for. :-)

Liked best: The Location
Liked least: The toaster
Traveling group: Extended Family
Your age range 35-49
Friends getaway People with pets
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing