“Relaxing weekend Great venue”

Bagdale Hall Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
Cheshire
“Relaxing weekend Great venue”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2009

Just returned from a weekend at Whitby stayed at Bagdale number four room 14. This is a georgian annexe next door but one to Bagdale hall. The room was at the back of the property overlooking the car park . Very comfortable very private and very quiet. £120 pounds a night for two including a very substantial breakfast. We ate in the restaurant on Friday night in Bagdale hall the food was excellent . The meal was slightly marred by a drunken woman shouting across the room where is my meal. If you are eating there you are seated in the lounge area while your order is taken and starter prepared then you are escorted to your seat. The whole dining experience is a long process stress free and relaxing as the food is prepared to order and the staff don't try to rush you out to make way for others. The staff are friendly and most helpful and I would certainly recommend this establishment to anyone staying in Whitby

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chesh35

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2009

I did one night in Bagdale Hall the day after the April Goth Convention weekend. Bagdale is collection of buildings (three, I believe). I was placed into the building 2 doors down from the hall (the building between where I was placed and the main hall is a solicitor's office). I think this building is considered "Bagdale Number 4" (the "4" referring to the address).

In terms of convenience, I can't imagine a shorter walk between the train or the main bus terminal... it's literally a minute's walk away (heading away from the water).

The room I was given, number 15, had a beautiful four poster bed in an overall red & yellow scheme. One strange aspect of the room was that the carpet had what sounded like plastic bags underneath it (i.e. each step I made made noise that reminded me of those cheap bags one sometimes gets at the grocery store).

Bathroom had a sink with two separate faucets (one for cold and one for HOT HOT HOT). Towel rack was nice and warm. Towels will be found on the bed when you first walk in. There were little bottles of shower gel & shampoo, shower caps & miniature soap bars. No washcloths here, in case you're American who is accustomed to washing your face with one.

I went back to the main hall to check out the menu: dinner looked a bit heavy and expensive (entrees during normal dinner hours are between 10 - 20 pounds; there's an 'early dinner' menu with much less expensive options sometimes available), but thankfully there are a number of other dinner options available nearby, including a very modern looking and tasty Indian restaurant nearby (the good one is named "Passage to India"; there's a second, different Indian dining establishment within the train station building that apparently has a unhealthy reputation). In the morning, I wasn't super thrilled with my overdone omelette, but the selection of items on the breakfast menu was relatively diverse and I was happy with everything else I saw.

Staff was accommodating and very very friendly (one gave me a free cola from the bar after I had checked out; another offered to throw some rain soaked clothes into the dryer).

There is WiFi access in the hall lobby (ask the receptionist for the password), but it doesn't extend to the rooms (and doesn't exist in the other buildings). It would be very useful if WiFi access were extended to the entire Bagdale Hall.

Speaking of the Goth Convention, it happens twice a year (April & October), and Bagdale is likely to be booked out a year in advance for these weekends. Judging from the number of professional Gothy types I saw walking around the town the Monday afterwards, they should probably make these weekend festivals into week-long gatherings.

As a single traveller staying on a Monday, I paid £70 (i.e. single travellers get "reductions" in the rate, and according to the website, it's cheaper to stay at Bagdale during the week)... which I think was pretty much worth it, given the size of the room, the convenience next to transit options, the breakfast menu, and the overall character of the place.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank MichaelInSF
Skipton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2009

Stayed here on Sunday and Monday nights, the 2nd & 3rd November. This happened to coincide with the (extremely!) popular Goth Week.......
We had a great time just mooching around Whitby and never tired of people watching. We ate breakfast at Bagdale Hall and cannot fault the variety or the content. In the evening we tried the chinese restaurant across the street and had a very enjoyable meal, another evening we had a meal in a pub beneath the steps to the abbey very reasonably priced and lovely fish on offer.

Regarding Bagdale Hall, the hotel was certainly full of character, low ceilings, windows and floors that were obviously original and creaking stairs; a complete antithesis to Holiday Inn and the like!
The location was superb - next to the railway station and minutes from the bridge across the Esk, close to everything and yet quiet at night. The car park was slightly difficult to access due to cars parked at nearby houses but in reality no problem. Staff were friendly enough and on the whole I would recommend the hotel.
For reference we paid a total of £135 for two nights B & B

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank davraver
Rochdale
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2009

Can definitely recommend Bagdale - we are already talking of going back there again some time. The hotel is in an excellent location just a few minutes walk from the busier parts of town. It is on the main road going into Whitby so there is traffic noise but it didn't stop us from having a good night's sleep.

The room was lovely - very comfortable and lots of character to it. The hotel staff were excellent - very friendly and helpful

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PomPomRochdale
york
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2008

My wife and I stayed for one night in the Lodge - there being no rooms available in Bagdale Hotel itself. This was a mistake. The Lodge is a completely seperate building and is over shadowed by a monstrous Hospital. The room we were given was clean but very ordinary and overlooked a raw concrete wall. All a bit demoralising for the price we paid (£90/night for the room B&B). Next mornings breakfast was good and served in the Bagdale Hall dining room. Staff were fine but you got the impression that they themselves secretly knew that the Lodge was a second class option to being in the Hotel itself.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — View and quality of room
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bibblesYork
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2008

Why haven't we been to Whitby before,its brilliant,just like Brixham in Devon only nearer,absolutely superb.And when you go consider staying at the hugely atmospheric Bagdale Hall.
We stayed in the main hall in a superb room on a 'credit crunch' special price ,negotiated with very very friendly staff.
The breakfast was superb with great choice,we didnt eat in the restaurant(we had to have fish and chips on the harbour) but we spoke to other guests who were very pleased with there fare.
Its location to the center of Whitby is ideal and easy to find ,free secure parking making this place highly recommended from us.
We had a brilliant weekend ,Whitby is brill' especially from what we hear on Goth weekend.
And if you are a Goth (wish we were young enough) there is no better place to stay,so you best book early.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank John W
northamptonshire uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2008

We stayed two nights 26/10 until 28/10. We booked a suite room and were allocated room 3. This had a huge 4 poster bed which was probably super king size, you have a leather settee and chair, full size tv and loads of tea and coffee sachets.
We ate in the restaurant sunday night and had a lovely meal but the breakfasts, alI I can say is wow!! The Bagdale Hall breakfast will keep you going all day and is huge!
The staff are friendly and make you feel welcome and I had the best two nights sleep I have ever had away from my own bed.

My only critisism would be the bathroom which was very clean but could do with a proper shower instead of a mixer tap over the bath.

Will definately return.

• Liked — Comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Bathroom
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple