“Great stay and great location”
Review of Bagdale Hall Hotel

Bagdale Hall Hotel
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
Chesterfield,UK
“Great stay and great location”
Reviewed July 9, 2008

Having arrived in Whitby and no accommodation booked we tried the Tourist Info who recommended two B&B, on driving out of the town we just saw the Bagdale Hall and decided to try, we managed a double room for the night in the annexe. The reception staff were very helpful and offered us to view the room first. It was comfortable and clean with a new modern shower room, only drawback there was only the bed to sit on. We decided to go for it! The dining room was a short walk down the hill next morning and was an good breakfast, could have done with another choice of fruit juice other than just orange though. The quantity and choice was excellent and presented very well. We decided to stay for another night. The shower was an excellent power shower, the best we have experienced. The car parking was also an excellent extra with just a short walk into Whitby for the fish n chips in the evening.

• Liked — Power shower, breakfast and the car parking
  • Disliked — Size of room, only the bed to sit on
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Glover999

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
north west england
Reviewed June 29, 2008

Just got back from two nights at Bagdale Hall, and having been to Whitby a few times before I am disapointed that we hadnt seen this hotel before.
Its two minutes from the harbour walking on the level, with plenty of parking spaces, two things other Hotels, B&B's very rarely have in Whitby.
We stayed in the lodge, a short walk from the main building, the room was large, clean and a great modern bathroom.
We only ate breakfast at the hotel, but if that is anything to go by the meals should be great. There was a vast array on the breakfast menu including kidneys, haggis and kippers. Nothing was too much trouble to the staff, who were all really friendly.

Will stay again, maybe spalsh out and have one of the four poster rooms in the main building.

One other point, dont beleive the hype that Trenchers fish and chips are as good as the Magpie. By chance we ate in both, having been to the magpie previously, which still is better by far, I found trenchers to be expensive, smaller portions and the fish was running in water (frozen?) Then we found out that Trenchers has actually been sold to some large lesuire company.

• Liked — location, quality of room, and friendly staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lordys
midlands
Reviewed May 23, 2008

My husband and I do love our little excursions, up and down the country, but I have never been tempted to write a review about a hotel before; neither good nor bad – you pay your money and take your choice, or should that be ‘chance’?!
The hotel receptionist where we normally go was very sniffy when I asked for a reduction, so I thought, ‘blow you then-have empty rooms’!! So I feel I have accidentally stumbled upon a cracker of a hotel!!
We only decided to go the night before, having just found out that Tues 20th was a full moon?! Whitby has real charisma and a full moon would just add to that wonderfully eery atmosphere’! The receptionist picked up on my humour and duly telephoned me back with a reduction for 2 nights. When we arrived I couldn’t believe how the Tudor house suited the theme of our short break, with even a in-house ghost!? The staff were friendly and well-informed, they engaged us straight away.
Stupid or what? – We had been drinking champagne on a bench high on the cliff edge in St. Marys’ graveyard, in front of the Abbey ruins. The moon was the biggest I had ever seen, it was glorious! Now whether it was the champagne or the fear but the following morning I realized I had left my bloody handbag up there!!!
The staff generously rallied and I got my handbag back. A little gentle teasing then went on by all the staff, which only added to the warmth of our experience of this hotel.
Food – Great.
Teresa

Stayed May 2008
2 Thank teresasaunders
lincoln
Reviewed February 25, 2008

We booked Bagdale Hall Hotel through the Tourist Information in Whitby who were very helpful and got us a special rate. (Better than we could get direct from the Hotel web site!) We stayed in the Lodge which is a separate building up the hill behind the hotel - there is a car park there and we did not find it a problem having to go down for breakfast to the hotel in the mornings but it is quite a steep walk back and some might find this difficult - breakfast was good, plenty of choice, staff were very polite and friendly, our room was very clean, bedding was clean and crisp and we had a new shower room ensuite. Our party had 5 double rooms in the Lodge and all had the same facilities but one couple said that their room was a bit small but this was the only negative response. Room was lovely and warm with well stocked tea and coffee tray. Bagdale Hall is well placed in Whitby - only a short walk to the harbour area - we went to the famous Magpie Fish and Chip Restaurant and had a fabulous meal - it met all our expectations - we booked because there were ten of us which was just as well because it was very busy and I do not think we would have got in otherwise - the next night we went to the George Hotel Bistro beneath Rosie OGradys Bar - do NOTgo there - worst meal we have ever had as a group who have been going out for meals together for 15 years - need I say more!! Whitby is fabulous and we would certainly stay at the Bagdale if we went again.

• Liked — everywhere was very clean
  • Disliked — not all under one roof
  • Stayed February 2008
Rotherham
Reviewed January 26, 2008

Bagdale Hall was recommended by a friend of mine who had stayed there several years ago. After reading some of the reviews I was in two minds whether to go or not but I thought I ought to judge for myself and go with an open mind.

Im glad I did as our stay there was great and Id happily recommend it to anyone. We stayed in the main hotel and the room we stayed in was suite No 3. It was very clean and the friendly staff ensured that we had everything that we needed.

I would happily visit this establishment again.

• Liked — The friendliness of the staff and the four poster bed.
  • Disliked — Cant think of anything to complain about !
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
East Midlands, England
Reviewed January 12, 2008

We booked a stay at Bagdale Hall Hotel as a birthday treat. The cost is not cheap but the details on the website were impressive. Do not be fooled!

The bedroom was cold even with the radiator on full blast. When we asked for an additional blanket a dirty one appeared. We were told that, if the wind was in a certain direction, it would be cold. The radiator in the bathroom did not work, had a leak and had not worked for a few weeks. The shower was a dribble and would not under any circumstances pass for one. The most disappointing thing was the dirty state of the bathroom. Dirty, with hairs on the washbasin and bath and fluff and paper on the floor. On the first morning the hairdrier stopped working, gave my wife a shock and had smoke pouring out.

We were moved to a new room and pointed out that the bathroom was again filthy. We were promised that this would be cleaned whilst we were out. It was not.

The whole experience was so bad that it completely ruined our break.

• Liked — The breakfast
  • Disliked — The dirty bathroom
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank holidaydreamer60
Prestatyn
Reviewed October 20, 2007

We have visited Bagdale Hall each year just prior to Christmas for the past 5yrs, and stay in the main hotel. Each year we have enjoyed a magical stay. I travel a lot with work and have stayed in many more expensive hotels that come no way near to replicating the hospitatlity enjoyed at Bagdale.

The restaurant is superb, the rooms are lovely with fantatastic 4 poster beds and the staff wonderful. The old guy meentioned in another review is called Mike and is a lovely man, a real asset to the hotel. Whitby is a fantastic place and quite spectacular in the heart of winter. It's like being a live observer of a Dickens novel. The true spirit of Christmas! The ambience of Bagdale Hall just adds to it.

We book our room for the following year as we leave from our previous stay and can't wait to go back this year.

I'm mystified by the negative comments. Try staying in the main main hotel before making a judgement.

Stayed December 2006